It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:28

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 16

Schools: Johnson '15
Re: If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2012, 20:30
neeshpal wrote:
If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, buff his palm-plank surfboard with carnauba palm wax and watch a palm-fringed sunset.

(A) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,
(B) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,
(C) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,
(D) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,
(E) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, to relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,

Again i got it wrong...i should have thought of this subjunctive mood type questions.... the answer is rightfully C

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2012, 00:37
please explain subjunctive mood.
I chosed A.
Tell me why option A, B and E are eliminated

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2012, 07:38
Answer is C...
1. If... were construction.
2. parallelism Eat, Relax, Buff..

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2012, 14:05
Why can't it be D? Because of parallelism or is it something else?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 22

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Merage '15 (A)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2013, 05:31
If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, buff his palm-plank surfboard with carnauba palm wax and watch a palm-fringed sunset.

(A) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, "was" is wrong as it is a subjunctive mood, so were should be used
(B) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, "was" is wrong as it is a subjunctive mood,so were should be used. "relaxing" breaks parallelism
(C) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, mood and parallelism looks fine
(D) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, "relaxing" breaks parallelism
(E) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, to relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, "was" is wrong as it is a subjunctive mood, so were should be used. "to relax" breaks parallelism

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 216 [1], given: 38

Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2013, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GMAT always uses oxford comma. C is the best answer here, but is lacking the oxford comma. What's the source of this question?

Kudos [?]: 216 [1], given: 38

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3478 [0], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2013, 14:28
In unreal condition, the past tense form of verb be is always WERE. It can NEVER be was.

(A) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> WRONG

(B) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> WRONG

(C) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> CORRECT

(D) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> WRONG

(E) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, to relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> WRONG

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3478 [0], given: 123

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 11:39
@nimisha - yes ur right about the use of a list. . But reread the list. it does have an 'AND' ..
the list is " he could eat...., relax...., buff.... AND watch....."

Posted from my mobile device

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2014, 13:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2014, 14:08
neeshpal wrote:

(A) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,
(B) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,
(C) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,
(D) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,
(E) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, to relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof,

I'll go for D. Relaxing is referring to he and therefore is correct from the structure and meaning point of view. In the answer c who is relax?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2014, 23:55
ArnauAnglerill wrote:
neeshpal wrote:

I'll go for D. Relaxing is referring to he and therefore is correct from the structure and meaning point of view. In the answer c who is relax?

All the bold words refer to the "latter-day Robinson Crusoe" itself. And all of them are in the same form and parallel to each other. However, in Option D, the words "eat" and "relaxing" are not parallel, and change the structure of the sentence. Hence D is incorrect.

Hope that helps.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2014, 14:27
pqhai wrote:
In unreal condition, the past tense form of verb be is always WERE. It can NEVER be was.

(A) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> WRONG

(B) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> WRONG

(C) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> CORRECT

(D) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe were marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, relaxing in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> WRONG

(E) If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island with an eclectic mix of palms, he could eat dates and coconut meat, to relax in a palm recliner in his palm-post bungalow under a palm-thatch roof, >>>> WRONG

Hope it helps.

Hi Sir
Can you please tell me what is wrong with "relaxing" in D ?

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 4

GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 11:44
If you go by the meaning, why should he eat dates only while relaxing? Why can he not relax and eat dates at different times? :)

If two options are grammatically correct, you should choose the one that is closest to the given sentence (in terms of meaning).

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 4

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 19:30

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 06:42

As the situation is hypothetical, we should say "Robinson Crusoe were." That means we can eliminate A, B, and E. D is also out because "could relaxing" is definitely not correct.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 522 [0], given: 23

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 03:53

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 20:48
since it is a hypothetical sentence, we must look for 'If -were '. only C and D qualify for the 2nd round. C is correct because of paralleism.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 03:34

It is assumption that is not possible in reality or has not happened in reality.
Ex-
I could fly if I were a bird.

So, remove 'Was' containing options.
A, B, E out.

Correct. precise.
Comparison issue in the sentence.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 23:32
this is an easy C

if... were.. should be used as it is happening in real.

Re: If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 23:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 59 posts ] 

If a latter-day Robinson Crusoe was marooned on an island

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap