GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If AB=10, is AB the shortest side of ∆ABC?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
If AB=10, is AB the shortest side of ∆ABC?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 05:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:16) correct 48% (01:13) wrong based on 118 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If AB=10, is AB the shortest side of ∆ABC?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 07:28
AB = 10. Is AB the shortest?

St1: Perimeter = 31 --> AB + BC + AC = 31
If AB = 10, BC = 9, AC = 12 then AB is not the shortest.
If AB = 10, BC = 10, AC = 11 then AB is the shortest.
Not Sufficient

St2: AC = 9 --> AB > AC. So AB is not the shortest.
Sufficient

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
If AB=10, is AB the shortest side of ∆ABC?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 07:59
Bunuel wrote:

(1) The perimeter of ΔABC is 31.

(2) AC=9

Properties of sides of triangle

The sum of any two sides o f a triangle must be greater than the third side.

If you are given two sides of a triangle, the length of the third side must lie between the difference and the sum of the two given sides.

If we analyze statement 1 , we know that sides can be (10:11, 9:12, 8:13, 7:14, 6:15 according to properties ) and from possible arrangements both sides can be 10 or other side be the shortest, not AB.
It is not enough to answer question. ( Though I don't know whether GMAT considers side shortest if there are two short sides of same length) (Help Bunuel )

If we analyze Statement 2 alone, we can say that value of third Unknown side is between 1<X<19 , so if try any possibility there is no way that AB is the shortest side.

Answer is B

(Though I answered C at first ) :P

Would appreciate Kudos if this was helpful ;)

Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 08:16
Resad95 wrote:

If you are given two sides of a triangle, the length of the third side must lie between the difference and the sum of the two given sides.

If we analyze statement 1 , we know that sides can be (10:11, 9:12, 8:13, 7:14, 6:15 according to properties ) and from possible arrangements there is no possibility that AB is the shortest side. It can be that both sides be 10 or any other side be the shortest, not AB.
It is enough to answer question.

If we analyze Statement 2 alone, we can say that value of third Unknown side is between 1<X<19 , so we can't say for sure what is value of AB and determine is it the shortest side.

Answer is A

Hi,

The question asks whether side AB has the least value. If AB = BC = 10 then the other side has the value 11. The least side value for such a triangle is 10 and AB has the least value.
But if AB = 10 and AC = 9 and BC = 12 then clearly AB does not have the least value. We do not have a unique answer and hence St1 is not sufficient to answer.

If we look at St2, we are already given that some other side is lesser than AB. So, AB cannot have the least value. In this case, we have a definite "NO" answer and hence St2 alone is sufficient.

The answer is not A.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 03:47
Vyshak wrote:
Resad95 wrote:

If we analyze statement 1 , we know that sides can be (10:11, 9:12, 8:13, 7:14, 6:15 according to properties ) and from possible arrangements there is no possibility that AB is the shortest side. It can be that both sides be 10 or any other side be the shortest, not AB.
It is enough to answer question.

If we analyze Statement 2 alone, we can say that value of third Unknown side is between 1<X<19 , so we can't say for sure what is value of AB and determine is it the shortest side.

Answer is A

Hi,

The question asks whether side AB has the least value. If AB = BC = 10 then the other side has the value 11. The least side value for such a triangle is 10 and AB has the least value.
But if AB = 10 and AC = 9 and BC = 12 then clearly AB does not have the least value. We do not have a unique answer and hence St1 is not sufficient to answer.

If we look at St2, we are already given that some other side is lesser than AB. So, AB cannot have the least value. In this case, we have a definite "NO" answer and hence St2 alone is sufficient.

The answer is not A.

Thank you Vyshak , I edited my post based on your reply. I didn't know that shortest is considered least in GMAT and did stupid mistake in 2nd statement .

Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 04:12
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If AB=10, is AB the shortest side of ∆ABC? &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jun 2018, 04:12

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap