It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If BD=DC, what is the value of x in the figure above?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1924 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
If BD=DC, what is the value of x in the figure above? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 03:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:13) correct 39% (02:11) wrong based on 99 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
T6155.png
T6155.png [ 11.64 KiB | Viewed 1822 times ]
If BD=DC, what is the value of x in the figure above? The below picture should only be studied if you struggle with solving the question.

A. 75
B. 95
C. 97.5
D. 100
E. 105

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
T6155c.png
T6155c.png [ 11.25 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Last edited by reto on 25 May 2015, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1924 [0], given: 302

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 283 [2], given: 9

Re: If BD=DC, what is the value of x in the figure above? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 16:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think that circle geometry questions can be some of the toughest, because a lot of times you have to be pretty creative. They also often involve triangles, even when they do not explicitly set it up for you like in this question.

This problem focuses heavily on the inscribed angle rule of circles. The inscribed angle rule is cousin to the central angle rule, and you treat inscribed angles the same as central angles but you double them. This means that the given 30 degree inscribed angle will etch out the equivalent of a 60 degree central angle between B and C. This means that the arcs from D to B on the left and from C to D on the right will each be the other 150 degrees of the circle (360 - 60 = 300, 300/2 = 150). Using the inscribed angle rule again, we see that x is an inscribed angle to the entire arc from B to C and C to D, or 60+150 = 210. Given that X is an inscribed angle and not a central angle, we use the rule in reverse and divide 210 by 2 in order to get X = 105 degrees, or answer choice E. Being able to reverse engineer rules (use rules backwards) is key to solving tricky gmat questions.

The inscribed angle rule is less well known than the central angle rule, so the gmat will use it to separate test takers. Make sure you are solid on all fundamental rules of geometry! Veritas does an awesome job of highlighting these rules (which are necessary but definitely not sufficient to crushing the gmat), and then delving deeply into strategic use of the rules.

I hope this helps!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 283 [2], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 53

GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE: Account Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 10:21
I assumed that because both lines BD and CD are equal length that they were both diameters of the circle. Then, according to Thale's Theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales%27_theorem) I could work with 90 degree angles. Is this correct or did I just luckily come across the correct answer? Thanks in advance.
Attachments

Geometry.png
Geometry.png [ 24.07 KiB | Viewed 1682 times ]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 283 [1], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
BuggerinOn wrote:
I assumed that because both lines BD and CD are equal length that they were both diameters of the circle. Then, according to Thale's Theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales%27_theorem) I could work with 90 degree angles. Is this correct or did I just luckily come across the correct answer? Thanks in advance.

That is not correct, so I am guessing that you somehow got lucky on this one. We actually know that BD and CD are definitely both not diameters of the circle, because a diameter of the circle has to run through a circle's center, and these two lines are not intersecting anywhere near the center. Because they are the same length and are both chords of the circle, and a diameter is the longest chord of a circle, we know that neither of them are diameters.

I am curious as to how you would get the correct answer assuming that they are both diameters? If BD is a diameter, then Thale's Theorem would make x 90 degrees, not 105 degrees which is the correct answer.

I hope this helps!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 283 [1], given: 9

Intern
Intern

GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE: Account Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 16:31
Thanks for clarifying Brandon! After reviewing, I am not sure I can even answer your question :cry:

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 11:12
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 966

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
Note: Angle subtended on the circumference is always taken from the ARC and NOT the segment.
I had done ~ to Ian but instead of using 210 angle subtended by arc BCD i used angle 150 thinking that as angle x is drawn from segment BD we have to make 150 half. That is not the case. We always take into consideration the arc on the OPPOSITE side of angle (central or inscribed in both cases).
Hopefully the image helps:
Attachments

File comment: If my post helps you, please kudo :thanks
circle.png
circle.png [ 10.73 KiB | Viewed 914 times ]

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 966

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 862

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 05:23
BuggerinOn wrote:

VeritasPrepBrandon
It's the property of cyclic quadrilaterals that opposite angles add up to 180 degrees.
Since we have 75 opposite to x, x = 105. (D)

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 862

Re: If BD=DC, what is the value of x in the figure above?   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2017, 05:23

If BD=DC, what is the value of x in the figure above?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap