It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:39

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2010, 05:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:21) correct 53% (02:28) wrong based on 113 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a probability of \(\frac{1}{4}\), and Rob - \(\frac{1}{3}\) . If the probability of Ben being the winner is \(\frac{1}{7}\), what is the probability that either Mike or Rob will win the championship? Assume that there can be only one winner.

A. \(\frac{1}{12}\)

B. \(\frac{1}{7}\)

C. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

D. \(\frac{7}{12}\)

E. \(\frac{6}{7}\)

M07-12
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Intern
Intern

Re: If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2010, 06:00
The OA : \((1-\frac{1}{7}) * \frac{7}{12} = \frac{6}{7} * \frac{7}{12} = \frac{1}{2}\) .
(7/12 = 1/3 + 1/4)

Can Some one explain me what is the problem with this reasoning :
P=(1/4 *2/3 * 6/7) + (1/3 * 3/4 * 6/7)= 5/14

Thanks

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1231 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2010, 07:12
Barkatis wrote:
The OA : \((1-\frac{1}{7}) * \frac{7}{12} = \frac{6}{7} * \frac{7}{12} = \frac{1}{2}\) .
(7/12 = 1/3 + 1/4)

Can Some one explain me what is the problem with this reasoning :
P=(1/4 *2/3 * 6/7) + (1/3 * 3/4 * 6/7)= 5/14

Thanks

I think what you have done is :

Probability = P(Ben loses) * P(Mike wins given Ben loses) * (1 - P(Rob wins givne Ben loses)) + P(Ben loses) * P(Rob wins given Ben loses) * (1 - P(Mike wins givne Ben loses))

The problem is the terms I have marked in red. You are already given the probability that Mike wins once Ben has lost, 1/4, you do not need to multiply this with (1-2/3). Similarly in the second term

The correct answer would be : P(Ben loses) * P(Mike wins given Ben loses) + P(Ben loses) * P(Rob wins given Ben loses)
OR (6/7) * (1/3) + (6/7) * (1/4) = (1/2)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2010, 12:11
Thanks for answering.

I got that part but my question is how do we know that the probability given is that Mike wins ONCE BEN HAS LOST.

What is the difference between that problem and this one for example
Xavier, Yvonne, and Zelda each try independently to solve a problem. If their individual probabilities for success are 1/4 ,1/2 , and 5/8 , respectively, what is the probability that Xavier and Yvonne, but not Zelda, will solve the problem ?

Where the solution is 3/8*1/2*1/4 = 3/64
But if we assume that the probability given are those of success of one person while the two others are loosing it would be more : 1/4*1/2 . Right ?

I hope you got my problem better now.

Retired Moderator

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2010, 17:26
Barkatis wrote:
Thanks for answering.

I got that part but my question is how do we know that the probability given is that Mike wins ONCE BEN HAS LOST.

What is the difference between that problem and this one for example
Xavier, Yvonne, and Zelda each try independently to solve a problem. If their individual probabilities for success are 1/4 ,1/2 , and 5/8 , respectively, what is the probability that Xavier and Yvonne, but not Zelda, will solve the problem ?

Where the solution is 3/8*1/2*1/4 = 3/64
But if we assume that the probability given are those of success of one person while the two others are loosing it would be more : 1/4*1/2 . Right ?

I hope you got my problem better now.

You have to be careful about reading the wording. In the example you are giving, there are 3 people solving a question. None, one or more could solve it correctly. In the question at hand, there are 3 players trying to win a tournament. Either none of them or atmost one of them can win, and simultaneous winning is not possible.

Now whether we have the probability of Mike winning given Ben has lost or we have absolute probability of Mike winning is just how the question is worded.

If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a probability of \frac{1}{4}

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 199 [3], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
asmit123 wrote:
If Ben were to lose the championship,MIke would be the winner with a probability of 1/4, and Rob - 1/3.
If probab of Ben winning is 1/7, what is the probab that either Mike or Rob will win the championship(there can be only one winner) ?

1.1/12
2.1/7
3.1/2
4.7/12
5.6/7

Probability Ben will lose =1-1/7 =>6/7
Probability Ben will lose and Mike will win => 1/4*6/7
Probability Ben will lose and Rob will win=>1/3*6/7

Probability Either Mike or Rob will win=> 6/7(1/4+1/3)
6/7 *7/12=> 1/2

C

Kudos [?]: 199 [3], given: 8

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 78

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Haas '18, Kelley '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 07:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ans = Prob. Ben will lose and Mike will win OR Prob. Ben will lose and Rob will win

= 6/7x1/4 + 6/7x1/3
=6/7 x (1/4+1/3)
=6/7 x (7/12)
=1/2

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart" - Confucius

Useful Threads

1. How to Review and Analyze your Mistakes (Post by BB at GMAT Club)

2. 4 Steps to Get the Most out out of your CATs (Manhattan GMAT Blog)

My Experience With GMAT

1. From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT

2. Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 78

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3686 [1], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2015, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi 23a2012,

This question is based on "conditional" probability, which is an exceptionally rare subject on the GMAT (you probably will NOT see it at all on Test Day - if you do, then it would likely be in a DS question). Unless you're already scoring in the Q49+ range, you be spending your time on other subjects.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3686 [1], given: 173

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135562 [1], given: 12699

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 01:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
asmit123 wrote:
If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a probability of \(\frac{1}{4}\), and Rob - \(\frac{1}{3}\) . If the probability of Ben being the winner is \(\frac{1}{7}\), what is the probability that either Mike or Rob will win the championship? Assume that there can be only one winner.

A. \(\frac{1}{12}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{7}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
D. \(\frac{7}{12}\)
E. \(\frac{6}{7}\)

M07-12

This is a conditional probability question. We need the probability that either Mike or Rob will win the championship. So Ben must lose: the probability of Ben losing is \(1-\frac{1}{7}=\frac{6}{7}\).

Now out of these \(\frac{6}{7}\) cases the probability of Mike winning is \(\frac{1}{4}\) and the probability of Rob winning is \(\frac{1}{3}\). So \(P=\frac{6}{7}(\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{3})=\frac{1}{2}\).

Or consider the following:

Take 84 championships/cases (I chose 84 as it's a LCM of 3, 4, and 7).

Now, out of these 84 cases Ben will lose in \(\frac{6}{7}*84=72\). Mike would be the winner in \(72*\frac{1}{4}=18\) (1/4 th of the cases when Ben loses) and Rob would be the winner in \(72*\frac{1}{3}=24\). Therefore \(P=\frac{18+24}{84}=\frac{1}{2}\).

Answer: C.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135562 [1], given: 12699

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 22:26
Hi All,

I am confused..i thought the probability that Ben will lose = P of either Mike r Rob will win? or we are assuming that there are still others in the championship? so my earlier assumption is not valid?

Thanks in advance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 47

Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 22:52
Conditional probability question.

Probability of Ben winning = 1/7; so probability of Ben losing = 6/7.

Probability of Mike winning given that Ben had lost = 1/4 * 6/7 = 6/28 = 3/14

Probability of Rob winning given that Ben had lost = 1/3 * 6/7 = 6/21. = 2/7 = 4/14

Required probability = 3/14 + 4/14 = 7/14 = 1/2. Ans (C).

I used to think the brain was the most important organ. Then I thought, look what’s telling me that.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 23:00
katzzzz wrote:
Hi All,

I am confused..i thought the probability that Ben will lose = P of either Mike r Rob will win? or we are assuming that there are still others in the championship? so my earlier assumption is not valid?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I don't quite understand your doubt, see if this helps...

Probability that Ben wins = 1/7 (given); so the 'counter-event' would be Ben losing = 1 - 1/7 = 6/7.

Now, they have asked to find the probability that EITHER Rob or Mike wins, and there are 2 conditions imposed:
(1) there can only be one winner
(2) (stemming from the 1st condition) Ben loses (because we have to find only the probability of Mike and Rob, which means Ben loses as there can be only one winner).

Rob winning the game given that Ben had lost = 1/3 * 6/7
Mike winning given that Ben had lost = 1/4 * 6/7

Adding those two we get the answer.

I used to think the brain was the most important organ. Then I thought, look what’s telling me that.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 02:00
Hi,

I mean..why can't we choose 6/7 as the answer. Probability of either one of them win = probability of mike lost the game? I not sure where did get it wrong.. Thanks :)

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6120 [0], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 02:23
katzzzz wrote:
Hi,

I mean..why can't we choose 6/7 as the answer. Probability of either one of them win = probability of mike lost the game? I not sure where did get it wrong.. Thanks :)

hi,
the probability given for other two to be winner shows that there are other in the race..
otherwise the total probability should have been 1 for all three winning ..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 03:13
katzzzz wrote:
Hi,

The most simple and direct answer to that question is the events are independent. I hope you get it now?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 10:03
FireStorm wrote:
katzzzz wrote:
Hi,

The most simple and direct answer to that question is the events are independent. I hope you get it now?

i thought that probability of mike winning =(Prob. of Ben not winning)*(Prob. of Rob not winning)*(Prob. of Mike winning)

FRom all explanations above it seems that championship does not have only 3 players
But how can i identify this
?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 18:12
divya517 wrote:
FireStorm wrote:
katzzzz wrote:
Hi,

i thought that probability of mike winning =(Prob. of Ben not winning)*(Prob. of Rob not winning)*(Prob. of Mike winning)

FRom all explanations above it seems that championship does not have only 3 players
?

Hi,

You are looking at the wrong set of events.

There may or may not be other players, but we are asked to find out the probability of either Mike or Rob winning with respect to the probability of Ben losing, which is why we don't go about solving this the way you did [probability of mike winning =(Prob. of Ben not winning)*(Prob. of Rob not winning)*(Prob. of Mike winning)].

Hope it's clear.

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 20:35
FireStorm wrote:
divya517 wrote:
FireStorm wrote:

?

Hi,

You are looking at the wrong set of events.

There may or may not be other players, but we are asked to find out the probability of either Mike or Rob winning with respect to the probability of Ben losing, which is why we don't go about solving this the way you did [probability of mike winning =(Prob. of Ben not winning)*(Prob. of Rob not winning)*(Prob. of Mike winning)].

Hope it's clear.

Hi,
there have to be more players...
otherwise divya517 & katzzzz are correct , the answer would be 6/7...
But the Question is giving probability of the two player winning when ben does not win, and since the combined prob of either of them winning is not equal to ben losing, so there are more player who too can win if ben loses

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 22:25
Hi,

Yes, there are more. But strictly speaking that's a circuitous route of going around this problem. We are asked to find the probability only w.r.t Ben's chances of winning/losing.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2400 [0], given: 51

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 22:37
asmit123 wrote:

A. \(\frac{1}{12}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{7}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
D. \(\frac{7}{12}\)
E. \(\frac{6}{7}\)

M07-12

Case-1: Ben loses and Mile Wins--- The probability of Ben losing is 6/7 and then Mike winning is 1/4 so the total Probability of Case-1 = (6/7)*(1/4)

Case-2: Ben loses and Mile Wins--- The probability of Ben losing is 6/7 and then Rob winning is 1/3 so the total Probability of Case-1 = (6/7)*(1/3)

Total Probability of Case-1&2 together = (6/7)*(1/4)+(6/7)*(1/3) = 1/2

Answer: Option C

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Kudos [?]: 2400 [0], given: 51

Re: If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2015, 22:37

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap