Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [31]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 956 [13]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [7]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [2]
Send PM
Re: If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a [#permalink]
Kudos
The OA : \((1-\frac{1}{7}) * \frac{7}{12} = \frac{6}{7} * \frac{7}{12} = \frac{1}{2}\) .
(7/12 = 1/3 + 1/4)

Can Some one explain me what is the problem with this reasoning :
P=(1/4 *2/3 * 6/7) + (1/3 * 3/4 * 6/7)= 5/14

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2931 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a [#permalink]
Kudos
Barkatis wrote:
The OA : \((1-\frac{1}{7}) * \frac{7}{12} = \frac{6}{7} * \frac{7}{12} = \frac{1}{2}\) .
(7/12 = 1/3 + 1/4)

Can Some one explain me what is the problem with this reasoning :
P=(1/4 *2/3 * 6/7) + (1/3 * 3/4 * 6/7)= 5/14

Thanks

I think what you have done is :

Probability = P(Ben loses) * P(Mike wins given Ben loses) * (1 - P(Rob wins givne Ben loses)) + P(Ben loses) * P(Rob wins given Ben loses) * (1 - P(Mike wins givne Ben loses))

The problem is the terms I have marked in red. You are already given the probability that Mike wins once Ben has lost, 1/4, you do not need to multiply this with (1-2/3). Similarly in the second term

The correct answer would be : P(Ben loses) * P(Mike wins given Ben loses) + P(Ben loses) * P(Rob wins given Ben loses)
OR (6/7) * (1/3) + (6/7) * (1/4) = (1/2)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for answering.

I got that part but my question is how do we know that the probability given is that Mike wins ONCE BEN HAS LOST.

What is the difference between that problem and this one for example
Xavier, Yvonne, and Zelda each try independently to solve a problem. If their individual probabilities for success are 1/4 ,1/2 , and 5/8 , respectively, what is the probability that Xavier and Yvonne, but not Zelda, will solve the problem ?

Where the solution is 3/8*1/2*1/4 = 3/64
But if we assume that the probability given are those of success of one person while the two others are loosing it would be more : 1/4*1/2 . Right ?

I hope you got my problem better now.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2931 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Barkatis wrote:
Thanks for answering.

I got that part but my question is how do we know that the probability given is that Mike wins ONCE BEN HAS LOST.

What is the difference between that problem and this one for example
Xavier, Yvonne, and Zelda each try independently to solve a problem. If their individual probabilities for success are 1/4 ,1/2 , and 5/8 , respectively, what is the probability that Xavier and Yvonne, but not Zelda, will solve the problem ?

Where the solution is 3/8*1/2*1/4 = 3/64
But if we assume that the probability given are those of success of one person while the two others are loosing it would be more : 1/4*1/2 . Right ?

I hope you got my problem better now.

You have to be careful about reading the wording. In the example you are giving, there are 3 people solving a question. None, one or more could solve it correctly. In the question at hand, there are 3 players trying to win a tournament. Either none of them or atmost one of them can win, and simultaneous winning is not possible.

Now whether we have the probability of Mike winning given Ben has lost or we have absolute probability of Mike winning is just how the question is worded.

If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a probability of \frac{1}{4}
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Ans = Prob. Ben will lose and Mike will win OR Prob. Ben will lose and Rob will win

= 6/7x1/4 + 6/7x1/3
=6/7 x (1/4+1/3)
=6/7 x (7/12)
=1/2
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi 23a2012,

This question is based on "conditional" probability, which is an exceptionally rare subject on the GMAT (you probably will NOT see it at all on Test Day - if you do, then it would likely be in a DS question). Unless you're already scoring in the Q49+ range, you be spending your time on other subjects.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi All,

I am confused..i thought the probability that Ben will lose = P of either Mike r Rob will win? or we are assuming that there are still others in the championship? so my earlier assumption is not valid?

Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Conditional probability question.

Probability of Ben winning = 1/7; so probability of Ben losing = 6/7.

Probability of Mike winning given that Ben had lost = 1/4 * 6/7 = 6/28 = 3/14

Probability of Rob winning given that Ben had lost = 1/3 * 6/7 = 6/21. = 2/7 = 4/14

Required probability = 3/14 + 4/14 = 7/14 = 1/2. Ans (C).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
katzzzz wrote:
Hi All,

I am confused..i thought the probability that Ben will lose = P of either Mike r Rob will win? or we are assuming that there are still others in the championship? so my earlier assumption is not valid?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I don't quite understand your doubt, see if this helps...

Probability that Ben wins = 1/7 (given); so the 'counter-event' would be Ben losing = 1 - 1/7 = 6/7.

Now, they have asked to find the probability that EITHER Rob or Mike wins, and there are 2 conditions imposed:
(1) there can only be one winner
(2) (stemming from the 1st condition) Ben loses (because we have to find only the probability of Mike and Rob, which means Ben loses as there can be only one winner).

Rob winning the game given that Ben had lost = 1/3 * 6/7
Mike winning given that Ben had lost = 1/4 * 6/7

Adding those two we get the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi,

I mean..why can't we choose 6/7 as the answer. Probability of either one of them win = probability of mike lost the game? I not sure where did get it wrong.. Thanks :)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
katzzzz wrote:
Hi,

I mean..why can't we choose 6/7 as the answer. Probability of either one of them win = probability of mike lost the game? I not sure where did get it wrong.. Thanks :)

hi,
the probability given for other two to be winner shows that there are other in the race..
otherwise the total probability should have been 1 for all three winning ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
katzzzz wrote:
Hi,

The most simple and direct answer to that question is the events are independent. I hope you get it now?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
FireStorm wrote:
katzzzz wrote:
Hi,

The most simple and direct answer to that question is the events are independent. I hope you get it now?

i thought that probability of mike winning =(Prob. of Ben not winning)*(Prob. of Rob not winning)*(Prob. of Mike winning)

FRom all explanations above it seems that championship does not have only 3 players
But how can i identify this
?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
divya517 wrote:
FireStorm wrote:
katzzzz wrote:
Hi,

i thought that probability of mike winning =(Prob. of Ben not winning)*(Prob. of Rob not winning)*(Prob. of Mike winning)

FRom all explanations above it seems that championship does not have only 3 players
?

Hi,

You are looking at the wrong set of events.

There may or may not be other players, but we are asked to find out the probability of either Mike or Rob winning with respect to the probability of Ben losing, which is why we don't go about solving this the way you did [probability of mike winning =(Prob. of Ben not winning)*(Prob. of Rob not winning)*(Prob. of Mike winning)].

Hope it's clear.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
FireStorm wrote:
divya517 wrote:
FireStorm wrote:

?

Hi,

You are looking at the wrong set of events.

There may or may not be other players, but we are asked to find out the probability of either Mike or Rob winning with respect to the probability of Ben losing, which is why we don't go about solving this the way you did [probability of mike winning =(Prob. of Ben not winning)*(Prob. of Rob not winning)*(Prob. of Mike winning)].

Hope it's clear.

Hi,
there have to be more players...
otherwise divya517 & katzzzz are correct , the answer would be 6/7...
But the Question is giving probability of the two player winning when ben does not win, and since the combined prob of either of them winning is not equal to ben losing, so there are more player who too can win if ben loses
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Yes, there are more. But strictly speaking that's a circuitous route of going around this problem. We are asked to find the probability only w.r.t Ben's chances of winning/losing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
asmit123 wrote:
If Ben were to lose the championship, Mike would be the winner with a probability of \(\frac{1}{4}\), and Rob - \(\frac{1}{3}\) . If the probability of Ben being the winner is \(\frac{1}{7}\), what is the probability that either Mike or Rob will win the championship? Assume that there can be only one winner.

A. \(\frac{1}{12}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{7}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{2}\)
D. \(\frac{7}{12}\)
E. \(\frac{6}{7}\)

M07-12

Case-1: Ben loses and Mile Wins--- The probability of Ben losing is 6/7 and then Mike winning is 1/4 so the total Probability of Case-1 = (6/7)*(1/4)

Case-2: Ben loses and Mile Wins--- The probability of Ben losing is 6/7 and then Rob winning is 1/3 so the total Probability of Case-1 = (6/7)*(1/3)

Total Probability of Case-1&2 together = (6/7)*(1/4)+(6/7)*(1/3) = 1/2

Answer: Option C
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts