GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     January 26, 2019

     January 26, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 2043
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Nov 2018, 11:22
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (00:30) correct 36% (00:38) wrong based on 89 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the following expressions must also
be even?

I. \(y^{x − 1}\)

II. \(y – 1\)

III. \(\frac{x}{2}\)

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Source: Nova GMAT
Difficulty Level: 600

_________________

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!


Originally posted by SajjadAhmad on 01 Jan 2017, 11:36.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 19 Nov 2018, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Posts: 89
Reviews Badge
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2017, 12:14
SajjadAhmad wrote:
If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the following expressions must also
be even?

I. yx−1 II. y – 1 III. x/2

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III


I think the question is of bad quality .
It is given that both x and y are positive even integers . take x = 2 and y =4
then 1 . yx- 1 ==> 8 - 1 = 7 (odd)
2. y-1 ==> 4-1 = 3 (odd)
3. x/2 = 2/2 =1 (odd)
so, no expression will be even :roll:
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Dec 2016
Posts: 20
Location: India
GMAT 1: 510 Q35 V26
GPA: 2.96
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2017, 02:26
sb0541 wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the following expressions must also
be even?

I. yx−1 II. y – 1 III. x/2

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III


I think the question is of bad quality .
It is given that both x and y are positive even integers . take x = 2 and y =4
then 1 . yx- 1 ==> 8 - 1 = 7 (odd)
2. y-1 ==> 4-1 = 3 (odd)
3. x/2 = 2/2 =1 (odd)
so, no expression will be even :roll:

I too reached the same conclusion!

Sent from my 2014818 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 09:49
SajjadAhmad wrote:
If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the following expressions must also
be even?

I. \(yx − 1\)

II. \(y – 1\)

III. \(\frac{x}{2}\)

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Dear SajjadAhmad,

My friend, I wonder if you posted the question correctly. For expression I, you have
yx - 1
which, of course, would be odd if both x & y were even. Did you mean:
y(x - 1)
That would be even, so long as y is even. Is this what you meant?

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 2043
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 09:55
mikemcgarry wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the following expressions must also
be even?

I. \(yx − 1\)

II. \(y – 1\)

III. \(\frac{x}{2}\)

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Dear SajjadAhmad,

My friend, I wonder if you posted the question correctly. For expression I, you have
yx - 1
which, of course, would be odd if both x & y were even. Did you mean:
y(x - 1)
That would be even, so long as y is even. Is this what you meant?

Mike :-)



Sir,

source of this question is NOVA GMAT , i randomly try to solve the question but can not, so i have posted it here ... official answer was given at the end of the question which i didnt understand
_________________

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4353
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 10:21
IMHO with the same opinion...

The question can be something like this -

Quote:
If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the following expressions can also be even?


Rest is fine, MUST be even should never be correct...
_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 10:41
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Sir,

source of this question is NOVA GMAT , i randomly try to solve the question but can not, so i have posted it here ... official answer was given at the end of the question which i didnt understand

Dear SajjadAhmad,

My friend, please give the exact name of the book (as NOVA has a few different GMAT books), the edition, and the exact page number & problem number. There's a deep problem here and I want to see it in the published book for myself.

Thank you,
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 2043
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 10:52
1
mikemcgarry wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Sir,

source of this question is NOVA GMAT , i randomly try to solve the question but can not, so i have posted it here ... official answer was given at the end of the question which i didnt understand

Dear SajjadAhmad,

My friend, please give the exact name of the book (as NOVA has a few different GMAT books), the edition, and the exact page number & problem number. There's a deep problem here and I want to see it in the published book for myself.

Thank you,
Mike :-)


Here is detail

Nova GMAT Prep Course
ISBN 1–889057–27–4

Page no.25/614
Question no. 13
_________________

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4485
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 11:07
1
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Here is detail

Nova GMAT Prep Course
ISBN 1–889057–27–4

Page no.25/614
Question no. 13

Dear SajjadAhmad,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :-) My friend, it's always important to include precise locations of anything that confuses you, because it's always possible that a GMAT expert will notice something you didn't.

In this particular case, you miscopied expression I. You wrote:
I. \(xy - 1\)
Instead, on that NOVA book, the problem clearly has:
I. \(x^{y - 1}\)
I corrected this in the problem above.

The expression (y - 1) is not a multiplied factor: instead, it's the exponent of x.

You see, if y is a positive even integer, it has to be 2 or greater, so (y - 1) will be some positive odd number. If x is an even integer, then any positive power of it also has to be even. This is why (I) has to be even and why the answer is (A).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 2043
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 11:27
mikemcgarry wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Here is detail

Nova GMAT Prep Course
ISBN 1–889057–27–4

Page no.25/614
Question no. 13

Dear SajjadAhmad,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :-) My friend, it's always important to include precise locations of anything that confuses you, because it's always possible that a GMAT expert will notice something you didn't.

In this particular case, you miscopied expression I. You wrote:
I. \(xy - 1\)
Instead, on that NOVA book, the problem clearly has:
I. \(x^{y - 1}\)
I corrected this in the problem above.

The expression (y - 1) is not a multiplied factor: instead, it's the exponent of x.

You see, if y is a positive even integer, it has to be 2 or greater, so (y - 1) will be some positive odd number. If x is an even integer, then any positive power of it also has to be even. This is why (I) has to be even and why the answer is (A).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Thank you very Much for this favor and really really sorry for inconvenience and trouble due to my fault. So nice of you

Regards
_________________

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2626
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 03:45
Such a wonderful question.
Here is my solution to this one -->

We are told that x and y are even.
So the least value of both would be 2.

We need to see if the given statement is even or not.
Statement 1->
y^x-1
Here as y is even y^x-1 would always be even as the least value of x is two.
Hence this is always even.
Statement 2->
y-1
even - odd=> Odd.
Hence this statement is always odd.
Statement 3->
This statement might be even/odd
e.g -> x=2 => 2/2 is odd
x=4 => 4/2 is even.

Hence only 1 must be odd.
Hence A.

_________________


MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Oct 2016
Posts: 139
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 02:20
Option A

x & y are Even Positive integers. Odd: O, Even: E & Fraction: F.


I. \(y^{x−1}\) = \(E^{E-1}\) = E

II. \(y– 1\) = E - 1 = O

III. \(\frac{x}{2}\) = E or O
_________________

Press Kudos if you liked the post!

Rules for posting - PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin &nbs [#permalink] 17 Apr 2017, 02:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If both x and y are positive even integers, then which of the followin

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.