It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If digit h is the hundredths digit in the decimal d=0.2h6,

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Posts: 326

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

If digit h is the hundredths digit in the decimal d=0.2h6, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2006, 01:57
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

If digit h is the hundredths’ digit in the decimal d=0.2h6, what is the value of d, rounded to the nearest tenth?

(1) d < 1/4

(2) h < 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1728

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2006, 03:00
E.

1) d < 0.25
D can be 0.246 in that case rounded d would be 0.3
D can be 0.23 in the case rounded d would be 0.2
Not suff

2) h <5

then d can be 0.246, rounded d = 0.3
D can be 0.236, rounded d = 0.2

Not suff

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 155

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2006, 14:23
jaynayak wrote:
E.

1) d < 0.25
D can be 0.246 in that case rounded d would be 0.3
D can be 0.23 in the case rounded d would be 0.2
Not suff

2) h <5

then d can be 0.246, rounded d = 0.3
D can be 0.236, rounded d = 0.2

Not suff


I think it is D. How can 0.246 ~0.3 (anything >= 0.25XXX will be 0.3)
Similarly if h is < 5 then even if it is 0.246 it should be 0.2

Please correct me! I may be totally wrong here

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2892

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 0

Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2006, 14:42
Should be D.

St1: d < 0.25 i.e h must be less than 5. So d will be 0.2: SUFF

St2: same as above. h<5 so d = 0.2: SUFF
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Posts: 326

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2006, 06:22
ps_dahiya wrote:
Should be D.

St1: d < 0.25 i.e h must be less than 5. So d will be 0.2: SUFF


Shouldn't h be < 4... If it is 0.246 --> 0.25 --> 0.3
But if it is 0.236 --> 0.24 --> 0.2

ps_dahiya wrote:
St2: same as above. h<5 so d = 0.2: SUFF


Same here.....

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2892

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 0

Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:03
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
St1: d < 0.25 i.e h must be less than 5. So d will be 0.2: SUFF


Shouldn't h be < 4... If it is 0.246 --> 0.25 --> 0.3
But if it is 0.236 --> 0.24 --> 0.2

[/quote]
0.246 --> 0.25 --> 0.3 IS WRONG
0.246 --> 0.2 IS CORRECT

Rounding is not done right to left but its done left to right.

Taking this example: Round off 0.246 to nearest tenth

1. Look at the 100th digit.
a. If it is less than 5 then drop all other digits right to 10th digit and don't increase the tenth digit.
b. If it is greater than 5 then drop all other digits right to 10th digit and don't increase the tenth digit.
c. If it is equal to 5 then look the next digit right to 10th digit and again apply the same rules as in point a and b above.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Posts: 326

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2006, 08:23
ps_dahiya wrote:
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
St1: d < 0.25 i.e h must be less than 5. So d will be 0.2: SUFF


Shouldn't h be < 4... If it is 0.246 --> 0.25 --> 0.3
But if it is 0.236 --> 0.24 --> 0.2


0.246 --> 0.25 --> 0.3 IS WRONG
0.246 --> 0.2 IS CORRECT

Rounding is not done right to left but its done left to right.

Taking this example: Round off 0.246 to nearest tenth

1. Look at the 100th digit.
a. If it is less than 5 then drop all other digits right to 10th digit and don't increase the tenth digit.
b. If it is greater than 5 then drop all other digits right to 10th digit and don't increase the tenth digit.
c. If it is equal to 5 then look the next digit right to 10th digit and again apply the same rules as in point a and b above.[/quote]

A and B here are same irrespective of <5 or >5... is that a typo

Do you have a link for rounding off...

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2892

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 0

Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2006, 12:25
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
sumitsarkar82 wrote:
St1: d < 0.25 i.e h must be less than 5. So d will be 0.2: SUFF


Shouldn't h be < 4... If it is 0.246 --> 0.25 --> 0.3
But if it is 0.236 --> 0.24 --> 0.2


0.246 --> 0.25 --> 0.3 IS WRONG
0.246 --> 0.2 IS CORRECT

Rounding is not done right to left but its done left to right.

Taking this example: Round off 0.246 to nearest tenth

1. Look at the 100th digit.
a. If it is less than 5 then drop all other digits right to 10th digit and don't increase the tenth digit.
b. If it is greater than 5 then drop all other digits right to 10th digit and don't increase the tenth digit.
c. If it is equal to 5 then look the next digit right to 10th digit and again apply the same rules as in point a and b above.


A and B here are same irrespective of <5 or >5... is that a typo

Do you have a link for rounding off...[/quote]

Here is one of the links:

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/geolo ... ndoff.html
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1257

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2006, 18:21
Answer: D

Note that when rounding you look at the immediate next digit from the *left* to the right, not from the *right* to left. ( from MGMAT)

Therefore, when you round, you ignore the digit 6 in 0.2h6 in this case.

S1: d < 1/4
i.e. rounded(0.2h6) < 0.25

h is < 5

Sufficient.

S2: Provides the same information.

Sufficient.

Answer: D

which means

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Posts: 713

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Location: Madrid
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2006, 23:11
ps_dahiya gr8 job!
my first choice was E.
I missed the rounded to the nearest tenth part of the question)silly mistake
D it is
_________________

IE IMBA 2010

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 282

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2006, 20:36
answer is D
d<.25 basically means that h<5,
if h=5 then d = .256 > .25

Also, b) states exactly the same thing, h=5
So, in both cases d=.2

I missed the tenths too.

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

  [#permalink] 05 Aug 2006, 20:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If digit h is the hundredths digit in the decimal d=0.2h6,

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.