Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: If it took Carlos 1/2 hour to cycle from his house to the library yest [#permalink]
Engr2012 wrote:
pepo wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi pepo,

Training for the GMAT will always involve making some mistakes along the way - that's how you'll ultimately hone your GMAT skills and score at a higher level. As you continue to study, you'll find that much of the work that you have to do when answering GMAT questions isn't all that difficult, but it does involve many of the business 'skills' that MBA Programs want to make sure that you have: note-taking, organization, accuracy, attention-to-detail, precision/rounding (when either is asked for), etc.

You mentioned how your calculation proved that Fact 2 was sufficient, but you didn't actually show what your calculation was (or why it was ultimately incorrect). If you can go into a bit more detail about that work, then we should be able to help you make sure that the same mistake doesn't happen again.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Sure Rich! I will be happy to show you how I worked through the question:

(1) The average speed at which Carlos cycles from his house to the library yesterday was greater than 16 feet per second.

For me is not sufficient because at this rate Carlos could have been cycled a distance less or greater than 6 miles.
Thas this fact is insufficient is quite evident, so I will focus no statement 2.

(2) The average speed at which Carlos cycles from his house to the library yesterday was less than 18 feet per second.

If the speed at which Carlos cycled was less than 18 feet per second, to check if the statement is sufficient, I can take in consideration a speed less than 18 feet/sec., for example 17 feet per second.
So, if Carlos cycled at 17 feet per second, it measn that his rate was also 1020 feet per minute and 30600 feet per 1/2 hour. Dividing 30600 by 5280 (1 mile = 5280 ft) I get 5,79 mile, which is not 6 mile. So, IMO Carlos didn't covered a distance greater or equal than 6 miles and the answer to the question is always NO.

Hope my line of reasoning was understandable, so you can quickly spot my mistake.

Thanks a lot :)

Couple of points to mention here. For saying statement 1 is not sufficient, you do not mention anything about the critical value of speed that will give you 31680 feet in 30 minutes. Without mentioning this value, how do you know whether 16 ft/s is sufficient ? What if 16 ft/s WAS the limiting value to give you 6 miles of distance travelled?

Coming back to your analysis of statement 2, when you have speed < 18 ft/s, you have infinite possible values to check and nowhere in the question was it mentioned that the limiting speed is an integer value. So, assuming speed = 17 ONLY had no basis. The limiting value is actually 17.6 ft/s which is still <18 . This is where you made a mistake.

DS questions are specially tricky if you do not follow step by step procedure and should never assume things not given.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot! now it is clear. :)

One more question: is this an hard question? I mean, is this question skippable or it counts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: If it took Carlos 1/2 hour to cycle from his house to the library yest [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi pepo,

It looks like you knew how to handle the calculations and overall logic just fine. The little mistake you made was in calculating the distance traveled at 17 feet/second and not 18 feet/second. Fact 2 gives us an 'upper limit' based on 18 feet/second, so THAT is the distance that we want to figure out. Anything LESS than THAT distance is possible.

Ultimately, while the work involved in this question was a bit 'thicker' than a typical prompt, the work itself was not 'hard work' (it was unit conversions and some arithmetic) - thus, I would NOT call this a hard question. On Test Day, you have to be responsible for the 'gettable' questions, regardless of how they might be 'ranked.' If you can nail those questions, then you'll end up with an upper-level GMAT score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Attached is a visual that should help.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.33.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.33.10 PM.png [ 163.82 KiB | Viewed 8612 times ]

Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Attached is a visual that should help.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 4.32.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 4.32.44 PM.png [ 220.7 KiB | Viewed 7276 times ]

Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Hi Bunuel - is there a compilation of certain conversions that the GMAT may expect us to know? For example, I have never used miles per hour so I did not know the conversion.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618613 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anindhya25 wrote:
Hi Bunuel - is there a compilation of certain conversions that the GMAT may expect us to know? For example, I have never used miles per hour so I did not know the conversion.

You are not supposed to know that 1 mile = 5280 ft but should be able to convert miles per hour to feet to hour given that 1 mile = 5280 ft. That's why it's given that 1 mile = 5280 ft.

Generally, the question itself will supply the relative conversions, so 1m = 100cm or 1km = 1,000m will be given. Though you should have a few basic ones memorized: 1 hour = 60 minutes, ...

Check other Conversion problems to practice in Special Questions Directory.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:
If it took Carlos 1/2 hour to cycle from his house to the library yesterday, was the distance that he cycled greater than 6 miles? (Note: 1 mile = 5280 ft)

(1) The average speed at which Carlos cycles from his house to the library yesterday was greater than 16 feet per second.

(2) The average speed at which Carlos cycles from his house to the library yesterday was less than 18 feet per second.

Answer: Option E

Video solution by GMATinsight

Two MUST join YouTube channels for GMAT aspirant GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
For a Comprehensive Topicwise Quant Video course at an affordable price CLICK HERE
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
If it took Carlos 1/2 hour to cycle from his house to the library yesterday, was the distance that he cycled greater than 6 miles? (Note: 1 mile = 5280 ft)

Distance = Speed * Time
here we need to check whether the distance covered is greater than 6 miles or not
is Distance > 6 miles ?
Speed * time > 6 miles ?
Speed * 1/2 > 6 ?
Speed > 12 miles/hour ?
Since the unit of speed in the statements are given in feet/sec , we need to convert miles/hour to feet/sec
1 miles/hour = 5280/(60*60) feet/sec = 44/30 feet/sec
12 mile/hour = 12* 44/30 = 17.6 feet/sec
So we can re-frame the question stem as whether the speed is greater than 17.6 feet/sec or not.

Statement 1 is insufficient as we cannot confirm that Speed > 17.6 or not

Statement 2 is also insufficient as we cannot confirm that Speed > 17.6 or not

Even though if we combine Statement 1 and 2 , we can only say that 16 feet/sec < speed < 18 feet/sec.
This is not sufficient to answer our question whether the speed is greater than 17.6 feet/sec or not.
If speed is 17 feet/sec, then its a NO and if speed is 17.8 feet /sec then its a Yes
So both Yes and NO is possible as the answer for the question, hence insufficient

Option E is the answer

Thanks,
Clifin J Francis
GMAT SME
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts