Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: If math concepts are just not registering... [#permalink]
Kudos
What helped me the most was reviewing the concepts with a reliable guidebook and immediately reinforcing that material with question practice.

For me, solely doing questions and then checking the answers was not enough. I could understand that problem, but maybe not variants of it. I didn't see the overall concept sometimes. But a guidebook by itself is also incomplete. By the time I finished the book, I forgot most of it.

Everyone is different, but try question practice alongside a guidebook if you haven't done so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
restore wrote:
I'm staring at explanations for certain math concepts (such as absolute value inequalities and combinations/permutations and their application in problems) and having difficulty understanding them.

Is it better to keep reviewing and "brute-forcing" the concepts into my head? I've been taking practice problems and looking at the explanations, but I do not seem to be getting better at them.

What do you think I should do?

Well its pretty obvious that concepts take time to cement in your mind if they are new or you haven't touched them for a while. That is why we practice, so that the concepts become second nature to us.

Things you can do:
1. Prepare your own notes/flashcards/cheat sheets. While studying write down critical concepts and formulae in a fresh notebook in your own handwriting and keep it handy at all times. Then you can always check out the flashcards available online and add the extra concepts as dope.
2. Whenever you are practising keep that notebook open in front of you. And see the concepts that you can use.
3. Avoid mugging up too many formulas. Rather learn how to derive them. MGMAT does a good job in this. You will be more comfortable, especially on DS questions.
4. Even during a mock test, keep your notebook with you and look up a critical concept if you cant remember. By doing so, believe me you will never forget that concept.

Remember, just knowing the concepts is not enough but being able to apply them correctly is. I must have at least 50-60 pages filled with critical quant concepts, but I know 90% of them and will never forget them for the rest of my life.

IMHO I think what you are talking about is not concepts but more of manipulations. You cannot mug up manipulations. And Inequalities and Combinatorics are considered some of the more difficult concepts because there isn't a universal one single way of solving them that everyone is comfortable with.

For inequalities - I usually use numberline or algerbraic approach or number plugging or a combination of either.
For Combinatorics - Hard Cold Basics. And a hell lot of practice.

Hope this helps. Practice is the key!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I appreciate the responses alot.

I actually began with the OG12, but I'm considering putting it on hold to buy the all five Quantitative Manhattan books and completing those.

What do you guys think? Bad/good idea?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
The Manhattan math series is very good. Using those books alongside the OG will allow you to get more value out of question practice.

So, my answer is: good idea.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
restore wrote:
I appreciate the responses alot.

I actually began with the OG12, but I'm considering putting it on hold to buy the all five Quantitative Manhattan books and completing those.

What do you guys think? Bad/good idea?

You already haven't done that??!! No wonder you are struggling. GET THEM ASAP!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah, it was a big mistake on my part to simply "jump" right into the GMAT OG12.

I wasted the diagnostic test and about 75 of the PS questions. I've put an immediate hold on utilizing it further. I ordered the entire set of 8 Manhattan books online and will be starting them as soon as they arrive. Until I fully grasp every single concept, the OG12 will be collecting dust in the corner of my desk.

Thanks for the help guys!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
A small word of caution - the OG has excellent examples for Verbal, but I'd probably say that the GMAT math is a bit harder than the OG quite substantively. So take that with a grain of salt and proceed one step at time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Kudos
I will not be the right person to advice Quant...But it will not HURT anyone, right ?

If you have forgot the basics, first BRUSH the basics from any good Maths books.
Start to solve questions from each topic for PS/DS.
Identify if you are weak in any specific area or in the format (say - DS)
Attack the weakness by concentrating on that area....

Understand the concepts - Apply them - Find what is the best approach for you.
example - I like to approach the problem in a manner that is easiest and fastest for me. It will be different from the normal approach, but does not matter (different from OG, but much better and efficient)- After all there is no ambiguity/style/etc in Quant....

Once you have practiced a lot and fine-tuned different approaches - You can go to the next level - See the problem. Pause for a moment (5-15 secs) before solving when you can identify the best way to solve the problem - Solve it - Sometimes when you will not get a solution/you guesstimate before solving that it will be time-consuming to solve the normal way - Then you can plug-in Ans. choices/apply many of the alternative strategies....

After all you know what will work the best for you !!!
GMAT Club Bot