Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 691 [244]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [93]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [43]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [41]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pavan2185 wrote:
Which method is better in questions like these to apply on the test? to pick the numbers or to apply concept of divisibility by 3 ( Remainder 0,1,2)

In my opinion, using logic is almost always better than plugging in. Plugging in is full of possibilities of making mistakes - incorrect calculation, not considering all possibilities, getting lost in the options etc.

Logic is far cleaner.

I know that talking about positive integers, in any set of 3 consecutive positive integers, one integer will be divisible by 3 and the other 2 will not be.

So I am looking for 3 consecutive positive integers e.g. (n-1)n(n+1)

Note that (n-4) is equivalent to (n-1) since if (n-4) is divisible by 3, so is (n-1). If (n-4) is not divisible by 3, neither is (n-1) (because the difference between these two integers is 3)
Hence (A) is equivalent to 3 consecutive integers.
Answer (A)

On same lines, note that n is equivalent to (n-3), (n + 3), (n + 6) etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [25]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following must be divi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
question testing multiples of 3.

plug in 7 and 8 as test values.

A. n (n+1) (n-4) = 7*8*3 and if n = 8 --> 8*9*4
B. n (n+2) (n-1) = 7*9*6 and if n = 8 --> 8*10*7
C. n (n+3) (n-5) = 7*10*5; eliminate as there are no multiples of 3
D. n (n+4) (n-2) = 7*11*5; eliminate as there are no multiples of 3
E. n (n+5) (n-6) = 7*12*1 and and if n = 8 --> 8*13*2

only A works.
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [12]
Send PM
Re: If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following must be divi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
seekmba wrote:
If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following must be divisible by 3?

A) N(N+1)(N-4)
B) N(N+2)(N-1)
C) N(N+3)(N-5)
D) N(N+4)(N-2)
E) N(N+5)(N-6)

Is there an easy way to solve this?

Substituting 3 consecutive numbers might be the easiest way to solve this question as shown above.

Algebraic solution:

The product of 3 numbers to be divisible by 3 at least one of them must be divisible by 3. So, to ensure that the product of 3 integers shown is divisible by 3 all 3 numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3, meaning that one of them should have remainder of 1, another reminder of 2 and the last one remainder of 0, so be divisible by 3. We should have something like \(n(n+1)(n+2)\) (for example: if n divided by 3 yields remainder of 1, then n+1 yields remainder of 2 and n+2 yields remainder of 0, thus it's divisible by 3 OR if n divided by 3 yields remainder of 2, then n+2 yields remainder of 1 and n+1 yields remainder of 0, thus it's divisible by 3).

Only option A satisfies this, because \(n(n+1)(n-4)=n(n+1)(n-6+2)\) and \(n-6\) has the same remainder as \(n\) upon division by 3 thus we can replace it by \(n\).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [5]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Same concept different way of thinking

How do I ensure that a product of three numbers is divisible by 3 ?
Step 1 : I divide the set of integers into three parts such that one of the parts contains exactly and only the multiples of 3
Step 2 : I ensure that I chose my numbers such that each belongs to a different part
Step 3 : If I achieve this, I must have exactly one number which belongs to the set of multiples of three. Hence their product is divisible by three.

How do I achieve this ?
Step 1 : The division I choose is numbers of the form \(3\alpha, 3\alpha+1, 3\alpha+2\). The union of these sets is all integers and they have no overlap between them, also one of them contains all and only multiples of 3.
Step 2 : Simplest way to choose three numbers such that exactly one belongs to each of the above sets is 3 consecutive numbers. This choice will always satisfy what I am looking for. Hence n*(n-1)*(n+1)

Important Note : If I shift any number by 3, its constituent set amongst \(\alpha, 3\alpha+1, 3\alpha+2\) does not change

So how do we solve this question ?
Start from the expression n*(n-1)*(n+1) and see if by adding or subtracting 3 or multiples of 3 from one or more of the three terms we can get any target expression.

A) Satisfies
B) n-1 repeats twice
C) n repeats twice
D) n+1 repeats twice
E) n repeats twice

Hence, solution is A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Ok, so, MGMAT says that the product of k consec. int's is ALWAYS divisible by k!

Well, this ain't right. Q.82 of the OG 12 -->

If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following must be divisible by 3?

a) n(n+1)(n-4)
b) n(n+2)(n-1)
c) n(n+3)(n-5)
d) n(n+4)(n-2)
e) n(n+5)(n-6)

I chose B because B represents 3 consecutive integers, my reasoning was that the product of B MUST be divisble by k!, which is 3! = 6... therefore by the Factor Foundation Rule, it MUST also be divisible by 3 because 3 is a factor of 6, right? WRONG.

Can anyone think why this is NOT the case? The official answer is A...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
n2739178 wrote:
Ok, so, MGMAT says that the product of k consec. int's is ALWAYS divisible by k!

Well, this ain't right. Q.82 of the OG 12 -->

a) n(n+1)(n-4)
b) n(n+2)(n-1)
c) n(n+3)(n-5)
d) n(n+4)(n-2)
e) n(n+5)(n-6)

I chose B because B represents 3 consecutive integers, my reasoning was that the product of B MUST be divisble by k!, which is 3! = 6... therefore by the Factor Foundation Rule, it MUST also be divisible by 3 because 3 is a factor of 6, right? WRONG.

Can anyone think why this is NOT the case? The official answer is A...

As for the rule you quote it's correct:

• If \(k\) is odd, the sum of \(k\) consecutive integers is always divisible by \(k\). Given \(\{9,10,11\}\), we have \(k=3\) consecutive integers. The sum of 9+10+11=30, therefore, is divisible by 3.

• If \(k\) is even, the sum of \(k\) consecutive integers is never divisible by \(k\). Given \(\{9,10,11,12\}\), we have \(k=4\) consecutive integers. The sum of 9+10+11+12=42, therefore, is not divisible by 4.

• The product of \(k\) consecutive integers is always divisible by \(k!\), so by \(k\) too. Given \(k=4\) consecutive integers: \(\{3,4,5,6\}\). The product of 3*4*5*6 is 360, which is divisible by 4!=24.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [8]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Shortcut: In every set of 3 consecutive numbers, ONE of them must be divisible by 3 when we are multiplying each of the digits

1*2*3
2*3*4
3*4*5
4*5*6

(A) n(n + 1)(n – 4)

The easiest is if we have something like n(n+1)(n+2)
We know in this case we DEFINITELY have an expression that is divisible by 3.
n=1 => 1*2*3
n=2 => 2*3*4
n=3 => 3*4*5

All are divisible by 3.

Any expression must pass our 3 consecutive integer test.

n(n + 1)(n – 4)
n=1 => 1*2*-3
n=2 => 2*3*1
n=3 => 3*4*-1

Even if n = 4 we have:
4*5*0 = 0 which is divisible by 3.

If n = 16
16*17*12 is divisible by 3.

So (A) passes all the tests and one of numbers in the expression will be divisible by 3 so the whole expression when multiplied together will be divisible by 3.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [18]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Every three consecutive positive integers will have one value divisible by 3.
Attachments

solution mixture.jpg
solution mixture.jpg [ 35.62 KiB | Viewed 70664 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
If n is an integer greater than 6, which of the following mu [#permalink]
Which method is better in questions like these to apply on the test? to pick the numbers or to apply concept of divisibility by 3 ( Remainder 0,1,2)

Also, dear Bunuel,

"Now, to guarantee that at least one multiple is divisible by 3, these numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3"

Why is this? Why the numbers must have different reminders?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Can you explain why the remainder should be different upon division by 3? I atill dint understood uproach

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [8]
Send PM
Kudos