GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If n = x^5*y^7, where x and y are positive integers greater than 1

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Re: If n = x^5*y^7, where x and y are positive integers greater than 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 07:38
MarkusKarl wrote:
I'll give it a try.

A)
X, Y = prime.

If X =/= Y then we would know the answer (6*8 factors). However, if X=Y then we would receive a lot of answers that would generate the same factors with the previous method. e.g. x=y=3 => 3^3*3^1=3^1*3^3.

Thus, A is insufficient.

As for B) (Which, in all honesty, was my first choice before I analyzed the question further).
We now know that x and y consist of 2 prime numbers.

IF x and y are two different prime numbers we would be able to answer the question. However(and here was my mistake), that information is given in (A). (In that case it would indeed be 6*8 factors).

X and Y can still be different composite numbers without giving n more than 2 prime factors. e.g. x = 2*3 and y = 2*2*3.
X and Y can also be composite numbers where x and y are two different prime numbers taken to any power.

Thus, (as written above) We needed the information about x and y being prime numbers from (A) and we needed the information that n only had two different prime factors from (B). Thus -> C is the answer.

Great question, thanks!

Can a single prime number work for both X and Y? If so then it should be written X and X, I think, not X and Y.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: If n = x^5*y^7, where x and y are positive integers greater than 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 08:21
NaeemHasan wrote:
MarkusKarl wrote:
I'll give it a try.

A)
X, Y = prime.

If X =/= Y then we would know the answer (6*8 factors). However, if X=Y then we would receive a lot of answers that would generate the same factors with the previous method. e.g. x=y=3 => 3^3*3^1=3^1*3^3.

Thus, A is insufficient.

As for B) (Which, in all honesty, was my first choice before I analyzed the question further).

IF x and y are two different prime numbers we would be able to answer the question. However(and here was my mistake), that information is given in (A). (In that case it would indeed be 6*8 factors).

X and Y can still be different composite numbers without giving n more than 2 prime factors. e.g. x = 2*3 and y = 2*2*3.
X and Y can also be composite numbers where x and y are two different prime numbers taken to any power.

Thus, (as written above) We needed the information about x and y being prime numbers from (A) and we needed the information that n only had two different prime factors from (B). Thus -> C is the answer.

Great question, thanks!

Can a single prime number work for both X and Y? If so then it should be written X and X, I think, not X and Y.

Hi,

I am not sure that I understand your question, but i will try to respond.

The question does not state that x and y are different numbers. As such, we are not able to answer the question with just a. We receive that information when a and b are combined.

Please let me know if I misunderstood the question or if I can clarify further.

Best wishes

Posted from my mobile device

I love being wrong. An incorrect answer offers an extraordinary opportunity to improve.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
If x and y are positive integers and n=x5∗y7n=x5∗y7, then how many positive divisors does n have?

(1) x does not have a factor p such that 1 < p < x and y does not have a factor q such that 1 < q < y.
(2) n has only two prime factors.

Giving it a try (This was actually my second attempt):

S1 states that X and Y are prime numbers with no current constraints

Can we find the number of positive divisors of N from that? (MGMAT says to work to prove the statement insuff)

Scen 1: (X = 2, Y = 3)
(2^5)(3^7) No of divisors (5+1)(7+1) = 48

Scen 2 (X = 2, Y = 2)
(2^12) No. of Divisors =/= 48

S1 is insufficient due to multiple answers

S2 states that N has two different prime numbers meaning that X and/or Y can be any numbers that share at most two prime factors (eg: [2,3],[2,6], [2,10], [5,15], [15,15])

Scen 2 (X = 2, Y = 6) (PF = 2 & 3)
Honestly, I don't even know what the number of divisors would be but I know it's not 48, and I'm not going to waste time trying to figure out what that number is. Knowing it's not 48 is enough for me to say it's insufficient.

So A, D, & B are eliminated

Now to try S1 & S2 together:

S1: X and Y are prime numbers & S2: X and Y must be different prime numbers

Scen 1: (X = 2, Y = 5)
(2^5)(5^7) No of divisors (5+1)(7+1) = 48

So the answer is C.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
During my first try while I was scribbling on paper I read S2 as having the parameters of S1 & S2 combined. I essentially read it as X and Y have to be different prime numbers, which was the incorrect way to read it.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 03:35
MarkusKarl wrote:
NaeemHasan wrote:
MarkusKarl wrote:
I'll give it a try.

A)
X, Y = prime.

Thus, A is insufficient.

Great question, thanks!

Hi,

I am not sure that I understand your question, but i will try to respond.

The question does not state that x and y are different numbers. As such, we are not able to answer the question with just a. We receive that information when a and b are combined.

Please let me know if I misunderstood the question or if I can clarify further.

Best wishes

Posted from my mobile device

My point is that X and Y can not represent a sigle value. As X and Y are different letters they should reflect different values and hence A should be the answer.
Hope, you got my point now.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 09:10
NaeemHasan wrote:
My point is that X and Y can not represent a sigle value. As X and Y are different letters they should reflect different values and hence A should be the answer.

X and Y are different variables that represent some integer value, and without specific constraints they each can represent any value on the number line: -∞ < X < ∞ & -∞ < Y < ∞. This also means that, unless otherwise stated, X = Y is a possibility.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NaeemHasan wrote:

Unless it is explicitly stated otherwise, different variables CAN represent the same number.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 09:56
Bunuel wrote:
NaeemHasan wrote:

Unless it is explicitly stated otherwise, different variables CAN represent the same number.

Thank you for your explanation. I didn't know it.
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 04:47
NaeemHasan wrote:
Statement 1 is sufficient alone. If we know that X and Y are primes then obviously we can determine the number of factors of n. Total factors are (5+1)*(7+1)=48.
But unfortunately the OA is C.
Where is my mistake? Can you, bunuel, help me to understand the fact, please.

Hi there
See if x=y => number of factors = 13
if not then the number of factors = 48
statement 2 is insufficient as x=2*3 and y=1 is different from x=3 and y=2
combining them we can say that x and y are both different primes hence the number of factors = 48
Smash that C

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

Average GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 08:34
Hi Abhishek007
I am stuck on this one

I seriously think the answer here should be A.

Can you explain this to me.
Why is A not correct here.?

Here is my logic
Here N= x^5*y^7
Statement 1=>
x and y are prime
So number of factors of N must be 6*8=> 48
Sufficient

Statement 2
Here we can make test cases to see that its not sufficient
e.g=>
y=1
x=6
factors =36
x=7
y=5
factors = 48
Hence Insufficient

Regards
Stone Cold

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

Average GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 08:36
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 04:37
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are positive integers and \(n = x^5*y^7\), then how many positive divisors does n have?

(1) x does not have a factor p such that 1 < p < x and y does not have a factor q such that 1 < q < y.

Bunuel

Hi..I got the correct answer..but I have a question.

Consider statement

Does this statement stop any of x and y from being = 1 ??

If we translate it in mathematical terms..it will become 1<p<1. So x = 1 is possible because nothing satisfies the translated condition..maybe I'm just being silly but it still is intriguing to me :stupid

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 04:51
ShashankDave wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are positive integers and \(n = x^5*y^7\), then how many positive divisors does n have?

Bunuel

Hi..I got the correct answer..but I have a question.

Consider statement

Does this statement stop any of x and y from being = 1 ??

If we translate it in mathematical terms..it will become 1<p<1. So x = 1 is possible because nothing satisfies the translated condition..maybe I'm just being silly but it still is intriguing to me :stupid

1 < p < x means that x is greater than 1.
1 < q < y means that y is greater than 1.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
If n = x^5*y^7, where x and y are positive integers greater than 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 10:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

If \(n = x^5*y^7\), where \(x\) and \(y\) are positive integers greater than 1, then how many positive divisors does \(n\) have?

(1) \(x\) does not have a factor \(p\) such that \(1 < p < x\) and \(y\) does not have a factor \(q\) such that \(1 < q < y\). This statement implies that both \(x\) and \(y\) are primes (a prime number does not have a factor which is greater than 1 and less than itself, it has only two factors 1 and itself). Now, if \(x\) and \(y\) are different primes, then the number of factors of \(n\) will be \((5+1)(7+1)=48\) but if \(x=y\), then \(n = x^5*y^7=x^{12}\) and it will have 13 factors. Not sufficient.

(2) \(n\) has only two prime factors. If those primes are \(x\) and \(y\), then the number of factors of \(n\) will be \((5+1)(7+1)=48\) but if, say \(x=2*3=6\) and \(y=2\), then \(n = x^5*y^7=2^{12}*3^5\) and it will have \((12+1)(5+1)=78\) factors. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Since from (2) \(n\) has only two prime factors, then from (1) it follows that \(x\) and \(y\) are different primes so the number of factors of \(n\) will be \((5+1)(7+1)=48\). Sufficient.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 13:03
Trap for this question is x can be equal to y.

Answer (C)
Re: If n = x^5*y^7, where x and y are positive integers greater than 1   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2017, 13:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

If n = x^5*y^7, where x and y are positive integers greater than 1

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap