Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [64]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [15]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: If n = x^5*y^7, where x and y are positive integers greater than 1 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The answer cannot be anything but D.
First statement clearly means that both X & Y are prime . They can be equal as well as two separate prime numbers. If equal then no of factors would be 13 , if different then it would be 48.
So insufficient .

The second statement says that n has only 2 prime factors so X can be 2,4,8 and Y can be 3,9,27 ..all yielding different factors for n.
Insufficient .

But if we combine we surely know X & Y are prime and since n has only 2 prime factors both X & Y are different .
Sufficient .

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: If n = x^5*y^7, where x and y are positive integers greater than 1 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
If \(x\) and \(y\) are positive integers and \(n = x^5\times y^7\), then how many positive divisors does n have?

Bunuel, may I have some assistance with where I'm going wrong with (1+2)?

(1) \(x\) does not have a factor \(p\) such that \(1 < p < x\) and \(y\) does not have a factor \(q\) such that \(1 < q < y\).

\(x\) and \(y\) are either prime or 1. Assume both are prime for a counterexample.

\(x = y = 2 \implies n = 2^{12} \text{ (}12 + 1 \text{ divisors})\\\\
x = 2, y = 3 \implies n = 2^53^7 ((5+1)(7+1) = 48 \text{ divisors})\)

Insufficient

(2)\(n\) has only two prime factors.

Assuming this means two distinct prime factors, due to the integer constraint on \(x\) and \(y\), I do not believe that two prime factors is possible (setting x and y to 1 would fail, as would 1 and any other integer).

\(x = 2, y = 3 \implies n = 2^53^7 ((5+1)(7+1) = 48 \text{ divisors})\\\\
x = 6, y = 2 \implies n = 3^52^{12} ((5+1)(12+1) = 72 \text{ divisors})\)

Insufficient

(1 + 2)

(I can't for the life of me determine why this is not sufficient, none of the above answers seem correct to me).

x and y must be positive integers (question stem)
x or y may not be 1. (1) requires x and y are prime or 1, (2) requires that there are 2 prime factors, so we need two primes.
x and y must therefore be prime (1)
x and y must be distinct primes (2)

\(x^k \times y^j\) will always have \((k+1)(j+1)\) divisors when \(x\) and \(y\) are distinct primes.

Therefore sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I'll give it a try.

A)
X, Y = prime.

If X =/= Y then we would know the answer (6*8 factors). However, if X=Y then we would receive a lot of answers that would generate the same factors with the previous method. e.g. x=y=3 => 3^3*3^1=3^1*3^3.

Thus, A is insufficient.

As for B) (Which, in all honesty, was my first choice before I analyzed the question further).
We now know that x and y consist of 2 prime numbers.

IF x and y are two different prime numbers we would be able to answer the question. However(and here was my mistake), that information is given in (A). (In that case it would indeed be 6*8 factors).

X and Y can still be different composite numbers without giving n more than 2 prime factors. e.g. x = 2*3 and y = 2*2*3.
X and Y can also be composite numbers where x and y are two different prime numbers taken to any power.

Thus, (as written above) We needed the information about x and y being prime numbers from (A) and we needed the information that n only had two different prime factors from (B). Thus -> C is the answer.

Great question, thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Send PM
MarkusKarl wrote:
I'll give it a try.

A)
X, Y = prime.

If X =/= Y then we would know the answer (6*8 factors). However, if X=Y then we would receive a lot of answers that would generate the same factors with the previous method. e.g. x=y=3 => 3^3*3^1=3^1*3^3.

Thus, A is insufficient.

As for B) (Which, in all honesty, was my first choice before I analyzed the question further).

IF x and y are two different prime numbers we would be able to answer the question. However(and here was my mistake), that information is given in (A). (In that case it would indeed be 6*8 factors).

X and Y can still be different composite numbers without giving n more than 2 prime factors. e.g. x = 2*3 and y = 2*2*3.
X and Y can also be composite numbers where x and y are two different prime numbers taken to any power.

Thus, (as written above) We needed the information about x and y being prime numbers from (A) and we needed the information that n only had two different prime factors from (B). Thus -> C is the answer.

Great question, thanks!

Can a single prime number work for both X and Y? If so then it should be written X and X, I think, not X and Y.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
NaeemHasan wrote:
MarkusKarl wrote:
I'll give it a try.

A)
X, Y = prime.

Thus, A is insufficient.

Great question, thanks!

Can a single prime number work for both X and Y? If so then it should be written X and X, I think, not X and Y.

Hi,

I am not sure that I understand your question, but i will try to respond.

The question does not state that x and y are different numbers. As such, we are not able to answer the question with just a. We receive that information when a and b are combined.

Please let me know if I misunderstood the question or if I can clarify further.

Best wishes

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
If x and y are positive integers and n=x5∗y7n=x5∗y7, then how many positive divisors does n have?

(1) x does not have a factor p such that 1 < p < x and y does not have a factor q such that 1 < q < y.
(2) n has only two prime factors.

Giving it a try (This was actually my second attempt):

S1 states that X and Y are prime numbers with no current constraints

Can we find the number of positive divisors of N from that? (MGMAT says to work to prove the statement insuff)

Scen 1: (X = 2, Y = 3)
(2^5)(3^7) No of divisors (5+1)(7+1) = 48

Scen 2 (X = 2, Y = 2)
(2^12) No. of Divisors =/= 48

S1 is insufficient due to multiple answers

S2 states that N has two different prime numbers meaning that X and/or Y can be any numbers that share at most two prime factors (eg: [2,3],[2,6], [2,10], [5,15], [15,15])

Scen 2 (X = 2, Y = 6) (PF = 2 & 3)
Honestly, I don't even know what the number of divisors would be but I know it's not 48, and I'm not going to waste time trying to figure out what that number is. Knowing it's not 48 is enough for me to say it's insufficient.

So A, D, & B are eliminated

Now to try S1 & S2 together:

S1: X and Y are prime numbers & S2: X and Y must be different prime numbers

Scen 1: (X = 2, Y = 5)
(2^5)(5^7) No of divisors (5+1)(7+1) = 48

So the answer is C.

During my first try while I was scribbling on paper I read S2 as having the parameters of S1 & S2 combined. I essentially read it as X and Y have to be different prime numbers, which was the incorrect way to read it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Send PM
MarkusKarl wrote:
NaeemHasan wrote:
MarkusKarl wrote:
I'll give it a try.

A)
X, Y = prime.

Thus, A is insufficient.

Great question, thanks!

Hi,

I am not sure that I understand your question, but i will try to respond.

The question does not state that x and y are different numbers. As such, we are not able to answer the question with just a. We receive that information when a and b are combined.

Please let me know if I misunderstood the question or if I can clarify further.

Best wishes

Posted from my mobile device

My point is that X and Y can not represent a sigle value. As X and Y are different letters they should reflect different values and hence A should be the answer.
Hope, you got my point now.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NaeemHasan wrote:

My point is that X and Y can not represent a sigle value. As X and Y are different letters they should reflect different values and hence A should be the answer.
Hope, you got my point now.

Unless it is explicitly stated otherwise, different variables CAN represent the same number.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are positive integers and \(n = x^5*y^7\), then how many positive divisors does n have?

(1) x does not have a factor p such that 1 < p < x and y does not have a factor q such that 1 < q < y.

Bunuel

Hi..I got the correct answer..but I have a question.

Consider statement

Does this statement stop any of x and y from being = 1 ??

If we translate it in mathematical terms..it will become 1<p<1. So x = 1 is possible because nothing satisfies the translated condition..maybe I'm just being silly but it still is intriguing to me :stupid
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShashankDave wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are positive integers and \(n = x^5*y^7\), then how many positive divisors does n have?

Bunuel

Hi..I got the correct answer..but I have a question.

Consider statement

Does this statement stop any of x and y from being = 1 ??

If we translate it in mathematical terms..it will become 1<p<1. So x = 1 is possible because nothing satisfies the translated condition..maybe I'm just being silly but it still is intriguing to me :stupid

1 < p < x means that x is greater than 1.
1 < q < y means that y is greater than 1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Easy to miss something here. Great question!

For (1), we can not rule out the possiblity of x = y.

For (2), n could have only 1 prime factor and we still would not be able to solve for the total number of factors.

If x = 343, y = 49 --> n = 7^32, Factors = 33.
If x = 7, y = 7 --> n = 7^12, Factors = 13.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts