Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31897 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Re: If p and n are positive integers and p > n, what is the remainder when [#permalink]
rsrighosh wrote:
if given \(\frac{p+n}{5}\) gives remainder as 11, doesnt it also mean \(\frac{p−n}{5}\) also should give remainder as 11 ?

VeritasKarishma chetan2u Brian123 Bunuel

chetan2u wrote:

No, it will not be the case.

Say p=n
p-n will be 0 and so divisible by all numbers including 5.
But p+n =2p and divisibility will depend on value of p
p=3, 3+3 will leave remainder 1.
p=4, 4+4 will leave 3
p=5, 5+5 will be divisible by 5.

chetan2u But the question explictly says p>n. So p not equal to n. So in that case will if p+n/5 gives remainder 1, will p-n/5 give remainder 1?

My question is that, if the above is correct, wont the answer be C?

I solved in this way :-

if statement 1 :- \(\frac{p+n}{5}\) gives remainder 1, will \(\frac{p−n}{5}\) give remainder 1. But we do not know whether (p+n)(p-n) is divisible by 3
if statement 2 :- \(\frac{ p-n}{3}\) gives remainder 1, will \(\frac{p+n}{3}\) give remainder 1. But we do not know whether (p+n)(p-n) is divisible by 5

Together statement 1 and 2 ---> (p+n) (p-n) will give remainder 16.. Hence C

Or my understanding is wrong here. I am not able to understand why answer is E if the statement above is true. Can you please help?
I pasted the question below as reference.

BANON wrote:
If p and n are positive integers and p > n, what is the remainder when p^2 - n^2 is divided by 15 ?

(1) The remainder when p + n is divided by 5 is 1.
(2) The remainder when p - n is divided by 3 is 1.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31897 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: If p and n are positive integers and p > n, what is the remainder when [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi

Always remember that the remainders also get added and subtracted as you add different numbers

So let p and n when divided by 5 give remainder 4 and 2, then p+n will give remainder 4+2 or 6 or 1.
But p-n will give remainder 4-2 or 2.

Choose numbers accordingly 14 and 12...14+12=26, so remainder is 1, but 14-12=2.
There may be cases when it is same.
For example 5 and 6....6+5 and 6-5 both will give 1.

So we cannot be sure what remainder is.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2286 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 11:00
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
BANON wrote:
If p and n are positive integers and p > n, what is the remainder when p^2 - n^2 is divided by 15 ?

(1) The remainder when p + n is divided by 5 is 1.
(2) The remainder when p - n is divided by 3 is 1.

Hello, everyone. I came across this question today in a session with a student and used a number-sense approach to disqualify any hopes of pinning down an answer. I can see that others have started along the same lines—spotting the difference of squares, brainstorming numbers—but not quite pursued the same line of reasoning thereafter, so I thought I would share my approach, just in case it may help someone else. I am going to pick up my analysis from the (C) versus (E) perspective:

Statement (1):

First, (p + n) CANNOT be 1 because p and n must EACH be positive integers (0 does not qualify). So, we are looking at 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31, 36, 41, 46, 51... (just as GMATGuruNY has outlined in an earlier post).

Statement (2):

(p - n) CAN be 1 because two positive integers could conceivably produce such a difference. So, we are looking at 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28...

All we have to do is figure out valid combinations of positive integers that could both satisfy the statements and conform to the information given in the problem. Start small:

(p + n) = 6
LET p = 5 and n = 1.
p > n

(p - n) = (5 - 1) = 4
This value appears in the second list of numbers from above, so p = 5, n = 1 is a VALID combination to test within the question.

\(\frac{(p^2 - n^2)}{15}\)

\(\frac{(5^2 - 1^2)}{15}\)

\(\frac{(25 - 1)}{15}\)

\(\frac{24}{15}\)

The remainder is 9.

Now, our task is to check whether any other valid combinations of p and n values will yield the same remainder. We can even go back to (p + n) = 6 and check other values.

LET p = 4 and n = 2.
p > n

(p - n) = (4 - 2) = 2 X

Since 2 is NOT in the second list of numbers from earlier, we can disqualify this combination of values. Furthermore, we CANNOT use 3 and 3 since they would not satisfy the given inequality p > n. We need to test different numbers. How about 11, the next number up, in our sum? We have 10 + 1, 9 + 2, 8 + 3, 7 + 4, and 6 + 5 to run through, potentially.

LET p = 10 and n = 1.
p > n

(p - n) = (10 - 1) = 9 X

LET p = 9 and n = 2.
p > n

(p - n) = (9 - 2) = 7

We have another VALID combination of values to test. Go back to the question and substitute:

\(\frac{(p^2 - n^2)}{15}\)

\(\frac{(9^2 - 2^2)}{15}\)

\(\frac{(81 - 4)}{15}\)

\(\frac{77}{15}\)

The remainder is 2.

Now, you can see that we CANNOT tell what the remainder will be, since we have created two perfectly valid cases that produced different remainders. Thus, the answer must be (E).

You might see the above approach as sloppy or less refined than the methods outlined above, but it proved pretty efficient in my case, and I was certain I had the answer. (And trust me, GMAC™ does not reward bonus points for elegant work.)

Good luck with your studies, however you tackle these tough Quant questions.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM