GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 21:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If P + |k| > |P| + k then which of the following is true of Inqual

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Re: If P + |k| > |P| + k then which of the following is true of Inqual  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 20:43
sunny3011 wrote:
If P + |k| > |P| + k then which of the following is true of Inequalities ?

A. P=K
B. P<=k
C. P<k
D. P>k
E. Can't determined

Again strucked with Inequalities ? Need Help.

Bunuel and VeritasPrepKarishma ?

P + |k| > |P| + k

Square both sides

P^2 + k^2 +2*P*|k| > P^2 + k^2 + 2*|P|*k

P*|k| > |P|*k

P/|P| > k/|k|

We all know that x/|x| can be 1 or -1.

So in the above inequality LHS will be +1 and RHS will be -1.

Which means P is positive and k is negative.

P>k

D

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Babson '19 (A)
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
If P + |k| > |P| + k then which of the following is true of Inqual  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 04:01
akumar5 wrote:
given that P + |k| > |P| + k.................1

lets square both sides : p^2+k^2+2p|k| > p^2+k^2+2k|p|

so, p|k|>k|p| ;
Clearly, the above statement is valid only if p>k

Answer is D

I like your answer, but can you really square both sides of inequality when you dont know whether either side is +ve or -ve?
I've heard you shouldnt, if you don't know
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If P + |k| > |P| + k then which of the following is true of Inqual  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 18:55
Krage17 wrote:
I am neither of two you asked to help, but I am retaking the GMAT soon, so here is how I approached this problem:

Assuming that P and k and both sides have the absolute value, the only way we will have an inequality is when when one or more numbers have negative signs, and thus change their value when an absolute value is taken. We already know that P on the left side equals |P| on the right side because the left side of the inequality is larger (and therefore, there is no way P is negative). So, what truly shifts the equation here is the sign flip when we take an absolute value of k. In other words, k must be negative, otherwise |k| would be equal to k and P+|k| would be equal to |P|+k. Hence, P (which is positive) must be larger than k (which is negative).
I know it's somewhat conceptual and may not be easy to follow, but that's how I looked at it.

This approach is interesting, and i think the most efficient way to approach this problem. But your assumption here is wrong my friend-

Here's how P can be negative:
p = -1, k = -2
p + |k| > |p| + k
-1 + |-2| > |-1| + (-2)
1 > -1

This is true for any negative value of p when k<p.

So we cannot conclude that p is non-negative. However, what we can certainly conclude from the given inequality is- k has to be negitive

|Any number| \(\geq\) That number

Now, the given inequality:
p + |k| > |p| + k
The |k| on LHS can be greater than or equal to k on RHS

Case 1:
|k| = k, which means that k is positive
in this case, to hold the ineq. true p > |p|. But this cant be true. Hence K is negative.

Case 2:
|k| > k, which means that k is negative
in this case, to hold the ineq. true, p on the LHS can be equal to (p is positive) or less than (p is negative) |p| on RHS.

So we can safely conclude from the given ineq. that
p can be +ve or -ve, but
k will always be -ve

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 13:18
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If P + |k| > |P| + k then which of the following is true of Inqual &nbs [#permalink] 06 Dec 2017, 13:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

If P + |k| > |P| + k then which of the following is true of Inqual

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap