Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [161]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [36]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [12]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive integer y is a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
105 has prime factors: 21 * 5 = 3 * 7 * 5

Using (1), x is also a multiple of 9. Then smallest possible value of X is 18. We can't tell whether xy is a multiple of 105 as we cannot determine if there is a prime factor 5 present in Y.

Using (2), y is a multple of 25. So we have prime factors 7, 5, 2, and 3. So xy is a multiple of 105.

Ans: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive integer y is a [#permalink]
Kudos
This quesiton can be solved if reduced to prime factors.

Given Information:

Let n represent some integer...

a) x = 6n = (3)(2)n
b) y = 14n = (7)(2)n

We know that therefore: xy = (3)(7)(2)(2)n
Is xy = 105n? = (5)(3)(7)n?

So essentially we need to know that either x or y is ALSO a multiple of 5

Statement 1: x is a multiple of 9.

i.e. x = (3)(3)n. This gives no information whether x is a multiple of 5. Therefore, insufficient.

Statement 2: y is a multiple of 25.

i.e. y = (5)(5)n. Bingo! Sufficient.

Therefore the correct answer is B.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
x is a multiple of 6==> x has at least two factors, 2 & 3
y is a multiple of14==> y has at least two factors, 2 & 7

xy will be a multiple of 105, if the factors of xy (combined factors of x & y) can be formed together to make 105.

Statement 1: x is a multiple of 9==> In addtion to 2 & 3 , x also has one more factor 3. So x has at least three factors 2,3 & 3. Now if we multiply x & y and hence multiply the possible factors of x & y we will have the following possible factors of xy: 2,3,3,2 & 7. Now we can't form 105 by multiplying any of these numbers. Hence we can say that statement 1 is not sufficient.

Statement 2: y is a multiple of 25>> In addition to 2 & 7, y also has two more factors, 5 & 5 or 5^2. Now if we multiply x & y and hence multiply the possible factors of x & y we will have the following possible group 2,3,7,5 & 5. You can see that we can easily form 105 by multiplying 3 , 7 & 5. Statement 2 is sufficient

Hence answer is "B".

This is my way of thinking. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1248 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Bookmarks
REMEMBER THAT ANY NUMBER WILL BE A MULTIPLE OF ANOTHER NUMBER IF IT SHARES THE SAME PRIME FACTORS

IF x is a multiple of 6 then it will have 2 and 3 as prime factors
If y is a multiple of 14 then it will have 2 and 7 as multiples

XY has prime factors 2,3 and 7
The number 105 has prime factors, 3, 5 and 7

As 5 is the only missing prime factor between X and Y, So we need a 5 somewhere between X or Y to make it a multiple of 105

Statement 1 -----INSUFFICIENT

X is a multiple of 9 and therefore has an additional 3 as prime factor. Not needed for our answer

Statement 2-----SUFFICIENT

Y is a multiple of 25 therefore Y has a 5*5 in it
Bingo! We needed a 5. Hence Sufficient

Ans - B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Healthcare, Statistics
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
zest4mba wrote:
If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive integer y is a multiple of 14, is xy a multiple of 105 ?
(1) x is a multiple of 9.
(2) y is a multiple of 25.

Can someone explain this

\(105=3*5*7\). Since \(x\) is a multiple of 6 and \(y\) is a multiple of 14, then \(xy\) is a multiple of \(LCM(x,y)=2*3*7\): we have 3 and 7 as factors of \(xy\), so in order \(xy\) to be a multiple of 105 we need missing 5 to be a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\).

(1) x is a multiple of 9 --> we don't know whether 5 is a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\). Not sufficient.

(2) y is a multiple of 25 --> 5 is a factor of \(y\), hence \(xy\) is a multiple of 105. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hi Bunuel, are there any more questions like this one? It's a subject I need practice on. Thanks!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Expert Reply
tgubbay1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
zest4mba wrote:
If positive integer x is a multiple of 6 and positive integer y is a multiple of 14, is xy a multiple of 105 ?
(1) x is a multiple of 9.
(2) y is a multiple of 25.

Can someone explain this

\(105=3*5*7\). Since \(x\) is a multiple of 6 and \(y\) is a multiple of 14, then \(xy\) is a multiple of \(LCM(x,y)=2*3*7\): we have 3 and 7 as factors of \(xy\), so in order \(xy\) to be a multiple of 105 we need missing 5 to be a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\).

(1) x is a multiple of 9 --> we don't know whether 5 is a factor of either \(x\) or \(y\). Not sufficient.

(2) y is a multiple of 25 --> 5 is a factor of \(y\), hence \(xy\) is a multiple of 105. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hi Bunuel, are there any more questions like this one? It's a subject I need practice on. Thanks!

Hi tgubbay1,

Why don't you give an attempt on this practice question:

Q: \(x, y\) are positive integers such that \(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor. Is \(x\) a factor of \(y\)?

(1) \(\frac{y}{2 *3^2}\) is an integer.

(2) \(\frac{y * z}{5}\) is an integer where \(z\) is a positive even integer whose units digit is not 0.

Let me know your approach and analysis for this practice question.

Also, you may try your hand at this question which tests similar concepts if-x-is-a-positive-integer-is-x-1-a-factor-of-126421.html

Regards
Harsh
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi,
I the answer of given question IS B?
approach:
we need to have 5 in the y to make x as its factor too
statement 1 ) y could be 18/ 54/ or 90... which involves 5 in one case and not in others.
hence insufficient
statement 2 ) z has unit digit of non zero, but its even. so this removes the probability of having z as 5. hence y has to be 5 or any number with unit digit as zero. this makes y as a factor of 5. this will result into integer.
sufficient.

kindly share the answer and the approach.
if the answer is correct then it calls for a kudos.
thanks

Why don't you give an attempt on this practice question:

Q: \(x, y\) are positive integers such that \(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor. Is \(x\) a factor of \(y\)?

(1) \(\frac{y}{2 *3^2}\) is an integer.

(2) \(\frac{y * z}{5}\) is an integer where \(z\) is a positive even integer whose units digit is not 0.

Let me know your approach and analysis for this practice question.

Also, you may try your hand at this question which tests similar concepts if-x-is-a-positive-integer-is-x-1-a-factor-of-126421.html

Regards
Harsh[/quote]
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Celestial09 wrote:
Hi,
approach:
statement 1 ) y could be 18/ 54/ or 90... which involves 5 in one case and not in others.
hence insufficient
statement 2 ) z has unit digit of non zero, but its even. so this removes the probability of having z as 5. hence y has to be 5 or any number with unit digit as zero. this makes y as a factor of 5. this will result into integer.
sufficient.

thanks

Hi Celestial09,

Let me ask you a question. How did you infer that \(y\) needs to have only 5 as its factor to make \(x\) as its factor. Or to rephrase my question, what do you mean by "\(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor". Why don't you give it an another try.

Regards
Harsh
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi,
It should be C.
But still I would like to have an explanation as still I on my way to hard ds questions. Though I guess it is a milder version of it but lacking in explanation.
Thanks
Celestial

EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Celestial09 wrote:
Hi,
approach:
hence insufficient
sufficient.

thanks

Hi Celestial09,

Let me ask you a question. How did you infer that \(y\) needs to have only 5 as its factor to make \(x\) as its factor. Or to rephrase my question, what do you mean by "\(x\) is the lowest number which has 15 and 20 as its factor". Why don't you give it an another try.

Regards
Harsh
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [3]
Send PM
Kudos