Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [44]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [59]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: If r – s = 3p , is p an integer? (1) r is divisible by 735 [#permalink]
Kudos
Classic explanation. Thanks very much.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kunalbh19 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
If r – s = 3p, is p an integer?
(1) r is divisible by 735
(2) r + s is divisible by 3

If r – s = 3p , is p an integer?

Question basically asks whether r-s is a multiple of 3 (..., -6, -3, 0, 3, 6, ...), because if it is then p would be an integer.

(1) r is divisible by 735 --> r is a multiple of 3 (as the sum of the digits of 735 is divisible by 3), though this statement is insufficient as no info about s.

(2) r + s is divisible by 3 --> r + s is a multiple of 3. Now, if r=2 and s=1 then r-s=1 and the answer is NO but if r=s=0 then r-s=0 and the answer is YES. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) r={multiple of 3} then as from (2) r+s={multiple of 3}+s={multiple of 3} then s is also a multiple of 3 --> r-s={multiple of 3}-{multiple of 3}={multiple of 3}. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Below might help to understand this concept better.

If integers \(a\) and \(b\) are both multiples of some integer \(k>1\) (divisible by \(k\)), then their sum and difference will also be a multiple of \(k\) (divisible by \(k\)):
Example: \(a=6\) and \(b=9\), both divisible by 3 ---> \(a+b=15\) and \(a-b=-3\), again both divisible by 3.

If out of integers \(a\) and \(b\) one is a multiple of some integer \(k>1\) and another is not, then their sum and difference will NOT be a multiple of \(k\) (divisible by \(k\)):
Example: \(a=6\), divisible by 3 and \(b=5\), not divisible by 3 ---> \(a+b=11\) and \(a-b=1\), neither is divisible by 3.

If integers \(a\) and \(b\) both are NOT multiples of some integer \(k>1\) (divisible by \(k\)), then their sum and difference may or may not be a multiple of \(k\) (divisible by \(k\)):
Example: \(a=5\) and \(b=4\), neither is divisible by 3 ---> \(a+b=9\), is divisible by 3 and \(a-b=1\), is not divisible by 3;
OR: \(a=6\) and \(b=3\), neither is divisible by 5 ---> \(a+b=9\) and \(a-b=3\), neither is divisible by 5;
OR: \(a=2\) and \(b=2\), neither is divisible by 4 ---> \(a+b=4\) and \(a-b=0\), both are divisible by 4.

Hope it's clear.

Hi,

I think B should be sufficient. Here is how:

We are given r+s is divisible by 3.

r+s=3a (where a is any integer) -----(1)
r-s+2s = 3a
3p + 2s = 3a (since we are given that r-s=3p)
2s = 3(a-p)
since 2 and 3 are both primes, we can conclude that a-p is a multiple of 2 and s is a multiple of 3.

similarly if we replace r by (-r+2r), we will get that r is also divisible by 3.

hence, if both r and s are divisible by 3, therefore p is an integer.

please correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

OA for this question is C, not B. OA is given in the initial post under the spoiler.

Next, for the second statement there are two examples given in my post which give different answer to the question whether p is an integer.

(2) r + s is divisible by 3 --> r + s is a multiple of 3. Now, if r=2 and s=1 then r-s=1 and the answer is NO but if r=s=0 then r-s=0 and the answer is YES. Not sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013
Send PM
Kudos
The above mentioned solution is valid for integers .... What if s is a fraction say 3/4 ... The answer should be E in that case..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
kunalbh19 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

Question basically asks whether r-s is a multiple of 3 (..., -6, -3, 0, 3, 6, ...), because if it is then p would be an integer.

(1) r is divisible by 735 --> r is a multiple of 3 (as the sum of the digits of 735 is divisible by 3), though this statement is insufficient as no info about s.

(1)+(2) From (1) r={multiple of 3} then as from (2) r+s={multiple of 3}+s={multiple of 3} then s is also a multiple of 3 --> r-s={multiple of 3}-{multiple of 3}={multiple of 3}. Sufficient.

If integers \(a\) and \(b\) are both multiples of some integer \(k>1\) (divisible by \(k\)), then their sum and difference will also be a multiple of \(k\) (divisible by \(k\)):
Example: \(a=6\) and \(b=9\), both divisible by 3 ---> \(a+b=15\) and \(a-b=-3\), again both divisible by 3.

If out of integers \(a\) and \(b\) one is a multiple of some integer \(k>1\) and another is not, then their sum and difference will NOT be a multiple of \(k\) (divisible by \(k\)):
Example: \(a=6\), divisible by 3 and \(b=5\), not divisible by 3 ---> \(a+b=11\) and \(a-b=1\), neither is divisible by 3.

If integers \(a\) and \(b\) both are NOT multiples of some integer \(k>1\) (divisible by \(k\)), then their sum and difference may or may not be a multiple of \(k\) (divisible by \(k\)):
Example: \(a=5\) and \(b=4\), neither is divisible by 3 ---> \(a+b=9\), is divisible by 3 and \(a-b=1\), is not divisible by 3;
OR: \(a=6\) and \(b=3\), neither is divisible by 5 ---> \(a+b=9\) and \(a-b=3\), neither is divisible by 5;
OR: \(a=2\) and \(b=2\), neither is divisible by 4 ---> \(a+b=4\) and \(a-b=0\), both are divisible by 4.

Hope it's clear.

Hi,

r-s+2s = 3a
2s = 3(a-p)
since 2 and 3 are both primes, we can conclude that a-p is a multiple of 2 and s is a multiple of 3.

similarly if we replace r by (-r+2r), we will get that r is also divisible by 3.

Thanks in advance.

I did the same mistake as you and assumed statement 2 by itself would suffice .
After pondering on it for a while , figured where I went wrong.
To answer your question , consider your below explanation -

r-s+2s = 3a
2s = 3(a-p)

Let me try to explain why statement 2 can be insufficient.
2s=3(a-p) . you got it right till here.
But you cannot conclude with just statement 2 , that a-p is a multiple of 2 . Cos all we know untill this point is "a" is an integer. We do not know weather S or/and P is an integer .
To illustrate what I mean above, lemme give you an example -
consider 2s=3(a-p) ===> 2 (0.3) = 3(0.2) , where s=0.3 and a-p=0.2 , a is an integer , lets say 2 , in which case P would be 1.8 . Hence we can prove that p is not an integer.
similarly , we can prove otherwise that P is an integer.

Now if you consider statement 1 , which says S is an integer , we can conclude from the equation 2S=3(a-p) , that P is an integer.
cos 2*integer = 3 * integer , i.e a-p SHOULD be an integer , since a is an integer and S is an integer .

Hope that helps
Jyothi
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: If r s = 3p , is p an integer? (1) r is divisible by 735 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:

OA is C. I am struggling to find how. This is how I approaching the question. Can someone please help?

Considering Questions Stem

We have to find whether r-s/3 as p is an integer?

Considering statement 1

r is a factor of 735. That means r is divisible by all factors of 735 and 3 is a factor of 735 [Because 7+3+5=15]. But as the statement doesn't mention anything about s, it's INSUFFICIENT to answer the question.

Considering statement 2

r+s is divisible by 3

Case 1

r=6 s = 3 then r+s and r-s both divisible by 3.

Case 2
r=7 and s =5 then r+s is divisible by 3 and r-s is NOT divisible by 3. Therefore this statement alone is INSUFFICIENT.

Now combining the two statements : I am struggling after this?

First check this post: https://anaprep.com/number-properties-m ... emainders/

Question: Is (r-s)/3 an integer?
It is if r-s is divisible by 3. Else it is not.

No info about s. Not sufficient. But note that 735 is divisible by 3. This means that r is divisible by 3 too.

Doesn't tell us about the difference so not sufficient alone.

r is divisible by 3 and r+s is divisible by 3 too, so it means that s must be divisible by 3 too. To a multiple of 3, we must add another multiple of 3 to get a sum divisible by 3. If we add a number such as (3a + 1) to a multiple of 3, the 1 will still be remaining. Hence s must be a multiple of 3 too.

Then r - s will be divisible by 3 because both r and s are divisible by 3.

Answer (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Hi,

r-s+2s = 3a
2s = 3(a-p)

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013
Send PM
Thank you Bunuel , it's a new and very important thing which I have come to know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Terrific Bunuel, the way you have explained the solution is just amazing. +1 kudos for the excellent concept explained
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Clearly p=(r-s)/3

Statement 1

r is divisible by 735,so p=(735x-s)/3=245x-s/3……..not sufficient

Statement 2

r+s=3y↪↪p=(3y-s-s)/3=(3y-2s)/3=y-2s/3…….not sufficient

Combining (1)+(2)
p=(735x-s)/3

p=(735x-3y-r)/3

now r is a multiple of 3,so it is a multiple of 3

therefore,p=(735x-3y-3z)/3=integer…..sufficient

Answer-C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
1] r=735k (k is any integer)
We can just say that r is an integer. Nothing known about s.
So not sufficient.

2] r+s=3p
Again, we can just say that r+s is an integer. nothing known independently of r and s.
For example r=7/3, s=2/3, r+s=3 but r-s=5/3
So not sufficient.

Combined, r is an integer and s is also an integer.
Sufficient. Ans C. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
This question can be rephrased: Is r – s divisible by 3? Or, are r and s each divisible by 3?
Statement (1) tells us that r is divisible by 735. If r is divisible by 735, it is also divisible by all the factors of 735. 3 is a factor of 735. (To test whether 3 is a factor of a number, sum its digits; if the sum is divisible by 3, then 3 is a factor of the number.) However, statement (1) does not tell us anything about whether or not s is divisible by 3. Therefore it is insufficient.
Statement (2) tells us that r + s is divisible by 3. This information alone is insufficient. Consider each of the following two cases:
CASEONE:Ifr=9,ands=6,r+s=15whichisdivisibleby3,and r–s=3,whichisalsodivisibleby3. CASETWO:Ifr=7ands=5,r+s=12,whichisdivisibleby3,but r–s=2,whichisNOTdivisibleby3.
Let's try both statements together. There is a mathematical rule that states that if two integers are each divisible by the integer x, then the sum or difference of those two integers is also divisible by x.
We know from statement (1) that r is divisible by 3. We know from statement (2) that r + s is divisible by 3. Using the converse of the aforementioned rule, we can deduce that s is divisible by 3. Then, using the rule itself, we know that the difference r – s is also divisible by 3.
: BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is
sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I feel B is sufficient.

r-s=3p
If we add 2s on both sides:
r+s=3p+2s
Hence, 3p+2s is divisible by 3.
Since 3p is separately divisible by 3, 2s has to be divisible by 3.
For 2s to be divisible by 3, s has to be divisible by 3.
We already know r+s is divisible by 3. Now we have s is divisible by 3.
Thus r is divisible by 3.(same logic as above)
Hence we get that both s and r are divisible by 3 from statement (ii).

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Srisk wrote:
I feel B is sufficient.

r-s=3p
If we add 2s on both sides:
r+s=3p+2s
Hence, 3p+2s is divisible by 3.
Since 3p is separately divisible by 3, 2s has to be divisible by 3.
For 2s to be divisible by 3, s has to be divisible by 3.
We already know r+s is divisible by 3. Now we have s is divisible by 3.
Thus r is divisible by 3.(same logic as above)
Hence we get that both s and r are divisible by 3 from statement (ii).

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

OA for this question is C, not B. OA is given in the initial post under the spoiler.

Next, for the second statement there are two examples given in my post which give different answer to the question whether p is an integer.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
This question can be rephrased: Is r – s divisible by 3? Or, are r and s each divisible by 3?

Statement (1) tells us that r is divisible by 735. If r is divisible by 735, it is also divisible by all the factors of

735. 3 is a factor of 735. (To test whether 3 is a factor of a number, sum its digits; if the sum is divisible by 3,

then 3 is a factor of the number.) However, statement (1) does not tell us anything about whether or not s is

divisible by 3. Therefore it is insufficient.

Statement (2) tells us that r + s is divisible by 3. This information alone is insufficient. Consider each of the

following two cases:

CASE ONE: If r = 9, and s = 6, r + s = 15 which is divisible by 3, and r – s = 3, which is also divisible by 3.

CASE TWO: If r = 7 and s = 5, r + s = 12, which is divisible by 3, but r – s = 2, which is NOT divisible by 3.

Let's try both statements together. There is a mathematical rule that states that if two integers are each

divisible by the integer x, then the sum or difference of those two integers is also divisible by x.

We know from statement (1) that r is divisible by 3. We know from statement (2) that r + s is divisible by 3.

Using the converse of the aforementioned rule, we can deduce that s is divisible by 3. Then, using the rule

itself, we know that the difference r – s is also divisible by 3.

The correct answer is C: BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is

sufficient.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts