It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 11

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:20
C

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 487

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 149

WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2011, 07:36
then either attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed or prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford.

Eith X or Y happens.If Y does not happen then X happens.
C says Y does not happen . Then X must happen => A must be true too.
Doesnt anyone agree with me on this
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 149

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 143

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 57

Location: So. CA
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2011, 23:35
gmatprep09 wrote:
If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season, then either attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed or prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford. If attitudes have changed, then we all have something to celebrate this season. If prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford, then it must be that salaries have not kept pace with rising prices during the past year.

Assume the premises above to be true. If salaries have kept pace with rising prices during the past year, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed.
(B) Retail stores will not experience a decrease in retail sales during this holiday season.
(C) Prices in retail stores have not risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season.
(D) Attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have not changed, and stores will not experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season.
(E) Either attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed or prices have risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season.


ugh tough question, under time constraint, down to C & A, i had to go with choice (C), which seemed to be more generic than choice (A), based on the stem, where everything goes if...if...if, i didn't feel choice A fitted well for "must be true" answer...

wouldn't mind hearing some experts chime in. :)

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 77

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 22

Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2011, 05:47
C for me ..

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 22

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2761

Kudos [?]: 1885 [0], given: 235

Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2011, 12:24
C.

if salaries have kept pace with rising prices during the past year

=> prices have not risen beyond the level most people can afford.

Using If X then Y... if not X then not Y.

(A) Attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed. This can be considered only when retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season. There is no mention that it actually happens. This seems to be shell game answer.
(B) Retail stores will not experience a decrease in retail sales during this holiday season.Again it is assuming the same.
(C) Prices in retail stores have not risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season.
(D) Attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have not changed, and stores will not experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season.Same as A. We don't know whether the sales will reduce.
(E) Either attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed or prices have risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season.This may happen only when revenues are reduced. The argument does not state any reason for it to happen.

Except option C..all other options are nicely manipulated, but all are wrong for simple reason - we really don't know revenues would reduce.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Kudos [?]: 1885 [0], given: 235

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 263

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 6

Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2012, 03:57
Straight C. If salaries have kept pace with prices, then, per the premise, we can confidently infer that prices will not be beyond the reach of the said consumers.

Cheers,
Dee alte Fritz.
_________________

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4422

Kudos [?]: 8434 [0], given: 102

Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 12:36
gmatprep09 wrote:
If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season, then either attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed or prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford. If attitudes have changed, then we all have something to celebrate this season. If prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford, then it must be that salaries have not kept pace with rising prices during the past year.
Assume the premises above to be true. If salaries have kept pace with rising prices during the past year, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed.
(B) Retail stores will not experience a decrease in retail sales during this holiday season.
(C) Prices in retail stores have not risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season.
(D) Attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have not changed, and stores will not experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season.
(E) Either attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed or prices have risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season.

fameatop wrote:
Can you Kindly explain this question as well.
Fame

In general, the Analytical Reasoning questions from the LSAT are slightly more challenging versions of the GMAT CR questions, and therefore make good practice for GMAT students who want to challenge themselves. This particular question relies a bit too heavily on formal logic --- that's fine for the LSAT, but GMAT students need not wrestle with this much formal logic.

This argument has the following formal design.
First sentence = If M, then N or P
Second sentence = If P, then not Q.

Here,
M = retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season
N = attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed
P = prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford
Q = salaries have kept pace with rising prices during the past year

The question stem tells us ---- assume Q. With this, we can use a variant of a classical argument type known as Modus Tollens.

MODUS TOLLENS: Given (If W, then Y) and (not Y), we can conclude (not W).

The argument gives us "If P, then not Q", and the question stem gives us Q, so according to Modus Tollens, we can conclude "not P" --- i.e. "Prices in retail stores have not risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season." This is precisely what (C) says.

Because we know nothing about the truth or falsehood of M, we can draw no conclusion about N. If we were given both "not P" and M, we could conclude N, but in the absence of information about M, we can conclude nothing about N.

Everything I have said here is well beyond what anyone needs to know for the GMAT. If love this stuff, then forget business school --- take the LSAT and become a lawyer. If you are set on the GMAT and business school, then the last thing you need to know is Modus Tollens.

Please let me know if anyone reading this has any questions.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 8434 [0], given: 102

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10118

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 00:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10118

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 09:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2016
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 03:44
There is no statement that retail stores experience a decrease in revenues.
So should be D.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Oct 2016
Posts: 170

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

Location: China
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 00:28
i don't quite agree with C cuz C is also in the condition that the sales decreases so there must be 2 variant that varies together
_________________

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2509

Kudos [?]: 791 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 00:53
YangYichen wrote:
i don't quite agree with C cuz C is also in the condition that the sales decreases so there must be 2 variant that varies together


If you are aware of the logical deductions concept, you can solve this question In just 30 seconds.

To summarize the concept,

If p, then q means ~q => ~p.

Now, using this approach try solving the question. You will get the answer why C is correct.

If still not clear, let me know. I will try to help you. :-D
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 791 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 105

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 00:57
If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season, then either attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed or prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford. If attitudes have changed, then we all have something to celebrate this season. If prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford, then it must be that salaries have not kept pace with rising prices during the past year.
Assume the premises above to be true. If salaries have kept pace with rising prices during the past year, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed.
(B) Retail stores will not experience a decrease in retail sales during this holiday season.
(C) Prices in retail stores have not risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season.
(D) Attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have not changed, and stores will not experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season.
(E) Either attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed or prices have risen beyond the level that most people can afford during this holiday season.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 105

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Nov 2016
Posts: 23

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 61

Location: India
Schools: ISB '18, IIMA PGPX"18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 01:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is C
Also consider the fact that this argument is for future sale and talks conditional situation. So at this moment we know that salaries have kept pace with price rise and hence we can comment only on affordability and not on attitudes.

Kudos please, if it helped

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 61

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3155

Kudos [?]: 3292 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 20:52
YangYichen wrote:
i don't quite agree with C cuz C is also in the condition that the sales decreases so there must be 2 variant that varies together


Only the last premise given in the passage is required to select C. The other premises do not form a part of the argument, hence the 2 simultaneous variants you mentioned are also not relevant.

Kudos [?]: 3292 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 319

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 22:30
the answer must be C however i have a doubt regarding option A can someone explain why we should not go with this as it is mentioned in stimulus that there are either attitude or rise in prices reason for the decline in revenue , or any other reason may cause to decline in revenue that it not mentioned ?
please explain

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3155

Kudos [?]: 3292 [2], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 12:59
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nks2611 wrote:
the answer must be C however i have a doubt regarding option A can someone explain why we should not go with this as it is mentioned in stimulus that there are either attitude or rise in prices reason for the decline in revenue , or any other reason may cause to decline in revenue that it not mentioned ?
please explain


Let,
Z: retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season
A: attitudes toward extravagant gift-giving have changed
B: prices have risen beyond the level most people can afford

X: we all have something to celebrate this season
Y: salaries have not kept pace with rising prices during the past year.

The passage states the following:
IF Z, THEN either A OR B.
IF A, THEN X
IF B, THEN Y

Given NOT X.

Now, as per basic logic rules.
IF A, THEN X
implies:
IF NOT X, THEN NOT A. Thus option C is correct.

Nothing can be inferred about B and Y when NOT X is given.

It is not given that Z happens. Thus you cannot say that NOT A also implies that B happens. Hence your argument is wrong.

If the question were as follows then option A could be the correct option:

If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during this holiday season AND salaries have kept pace with rising prices during the past year, which one of the following must be true?

However the blue part is missing in the question. Thus A is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3292 [2], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 319

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 21:51
thank you ,sayantanc2k
your reasoning is quite understandable :)
lots of kudos

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 88

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 137

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge
Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 04:32
Dear Experts,
I need your help in this Inference question - I don't have any clue how to approach this question... Regards,
Akash
_________________

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

Re: If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 04:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

If retail stores experience a decrease in revenues during

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.