Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Statistics and Sets Problemsx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618580 [150]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618580 [45]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [17]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [6]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If S is a set of four numbers w, x, y, and z, is the range of the numb [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

If S is a set of four numbers w, x, y, and z, is the range of the numbers in S greater than 2 ?

(1) w - z > 2
(2) z is the least number in S.

The Range of a set is defined as highest element of the set - lowest element of the set.

Statement 1) w-z > 2.
We don't know if w is the highest or z is lowest elements of the set. But we don't require that information.
As if w is not the highest element and z is not the lowest element, then the highest - lowest will be more than 2.
Sufficient.

Statement 2) z is the least number in S. we don't know the value of z and also we don't know the value of highest element of the set. We cannot determine if the range of the set > 2
Not Sufficient.

Hence Option A)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [6]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: If S is a set of four numbers w, x, y, and z, is the range of the numb [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi wongylo,

From your explanation, it looks like you considered all three possible 'relationships' between W and Z (from the information provided in Fact 1). By focusing on the specifics of what the given question asked, you could have combined all of those ideas into one big idea and saved some time...

We're told that there are 4 numbers. We're asked if the RANGE of those 4 numbers is greater than 2. Notice that '2' is a relatively small range for 4 values. For example, if the 4 values were consecutive integers, then the range would be 3. To end up with a range that is 2 or less, we'd need duplicate numbers or 4 numbers that included decimal points and were close together.

From Fact 1, we're told that W and Z differ by MORE than 2...so who cares what the other two numbers are. The range MUST be greater than 2. Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [2]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Bunuel and EMPOWERgmatRichC,

After going through S1/Fact1 in this question, would I be wrong if I generalize as follows - For ANY given set the Range is always greater than or equal to the difference between any two elements of the set?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi susheelh,

Yes - if you know 2 (or more) of the values in a set, then you know the MINIMUM value of the RANGE.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
What is the range of a singleton? For example {5}
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Bookmarks
Important property : Range of a subset is lesser or equal to that of main set.

Here (w,z) is a subset and its range is greater than 2 --> The range of the main set will also be greater than 2.

Originally posted by Hanzel101 on 29 Jul 2019, 06:54.
Last edited by Hanzel101 on 29 Jul 2019, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
Doesn't the fact that it's a set mean that w,x,y,z are distinct numbers? Wouldn't that inherently imply that the range of the distinct numbers is already greater than 2?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
wmjt123 wrote:
Doesn't the fact that it's a set mean that w,x,y,z are distinct numbers? Wouldn't that inherently imply that the range of the distinct numbers is already greater than 2?

Hi wmjt123,

GMAT questions are always specifically-worded, so you have be careful about assuming details that are not explicitly stated. For example, there's a big difference between the word "numbers" and the word "integers." In addition, a group of numbers might include duplicates - so unless the prompt uses the word "unique" or "distinct" (or some other description that defines that there are no duplicate numbers), you have to consider the possibility that there COULD be duplicates.

Integers MUST be whole numbers (re: -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.), but numbers are NOT held to that 'restriction.'

You made a great deduction that with 4 CONSECUTIVE INTEGERS, the range would already be greater than 2 (it would actually be 3). However, there's no way to correctly answer a DS question with just the information in the prompt, so if you think you have the answer before you look at either Fact 1 or Fact 2, then you have misinterpreted some aspect of the question.

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
I am missing something. There is no limitation to what these numbers can be. What if by statement one w=0 and z=-3... 0-(-3)>2. Range is still <2. Could someone help knock some sense into me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi hiteshreddyr94,

Based on the information in the prompt along with the information in Fact 1, you have come up with a valid possibility. It's possible that W = 0 and Z = -3. With just these two numbers, we know that the range would be 0 - (-3) = 3... meaning that the answer to the question would be YES ("is the range greater than 2?"... YES it is). With two additional numbers included, the range might become greater than 3, but it would be at least 3 (so the answer would stilly be YES regardless of what the other two numbers were).

Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [1]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM