It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 11:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the rebels truly want a political settlement, they will stop shelli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 886 [0], given: 414

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
If the rebels truly want a political settlement, they will stop shelli [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 11:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (02:58) correct 71% (01:36) wrong based on 119 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source: Nova GMAT

If the rebels truly want a political settlement, they will stop shelling the Capitol. They did stop shelling the Capitol. Hence, the rebels sincerely want peace.

Which one of the following uses reasoning that is most similar to that used in the above argument?

(A) There’s a cat in this house. There must be, because I’m allergic to cats; and I just sneezed.
(B) In order for a bill to pass, it must be supported by the President. The Crime Bill is not being supported by the President. Therefore, it will not pass.
(C) The flood of refugees will continue unless the U.N. sends in peace keepers. The U.N. has announced that peace-keeping troops will not be sent, so the flood of refugees will continue.
(D) Every time the United States attempts to mediate between two warring parties, it becomes the target of both. So the same will occur with the civil war in Girunda.
(E) If you want dessert, you must eat your vegetables. You did not eat your vegetables, so there will be no dessert for you.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Official PS Practice Questions

Kudos [?]: 886 [0], given: 414

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 469

Premium Member
Re: If the rebels truly want a political settlement, they will stop shelli [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 10:25
I thought the argument says if A then B , B has happened hence A.

I couldn't find anything similar among the options.
For me C and E looked the best among the options available.
Finally I chose C .

No way could I have imagined option A to be the answer.

Can someone please explain , how A is similar to the argument given.
Thank you.

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 469

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: If the rebels truly want a political settlement, they will stop shelli [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 13:59
Premise - Want Political Settlement --> Shelling stop
Shelling didn't stop -> Don't want settlement

A) Allergic: Cat --> Sneeze
Sneezed --> Cat is there

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 05:49
What about superlative word 'must ' in option A ?

Sent from my HTC Desire 628 dual sim using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 06:03
If A then B. But when we have B, can we sure A has happened. I go with C

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 625 [0], given: 62

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
If the rebels truly want a political settlement, they will stop shelli [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 06:21
The argument is of the form : If P, then Q. AND Q --> P.

(A) There’s a cat in this house. There must be, because I’m allergic to cats; and I just sneezed. --> Tough one but let's decode this.

If P(cat), then Q (Sneeze). AND Q --> P. Same as what we want. Hence, correct

(B) In order for a bill to pass, it must be supported by the President. The Crime Bill is not being supported by the President. Therefore, it will not pass. If P, then Q. AND ~Q --> ~P. This is not similar to what we need. Hence, incorrect.

(C) The flood of refugees will continue unless the U.N. sends in peace keepers. The U.N. has announced that peace-keeping troops will not be sent, so the flood of refugees will continue. P unless Q MEANS ~Q --> P. AND Q --> P. Not what we need.

(D) Every time the United States attempts to mediate between two warring parties, it becomes the target of both. So the same will occur with the civil war in Girunda.
This has no such relation. If something happens at A, the same will happen at B.

(E) If you want dessert, you must eat your vegetables. You did not eat your vegetables, so there will be no dessert for you. --> If P, then Q. AND ~Q --> ~P. Same as option B

Let me know if anyone has any concern. I will be happy to help. :)

Good Luck

Kudos [?]: 625 [0], given: 62

If the rebels truly want a political settlement, they will stop shelli   [#permalink] 23 May 2017, 06:21