Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 966 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: "if... then" Vs "will prevent.." [#permalink]
Picking B over C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Send PM
M8 wrote:
Let me underline it.

There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

Next time please underline your SC.

B is the answer.

If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ps_dahiya wrote:
There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop the disease's symptoms.

(A) There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop

==========> who is paired???

(B) If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop

==========> CORRECT

(C) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will prevent the individual from developing

==========> its not the gene that is preventing the disease but its the pair.

(D) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

==========> passive as well as last part wierd "will not develop in the individual the disease's symptoms."

(E) The gene that causes hemophilia, if paired with a healthy gene, causes the individual not to develop

==========> who is paired and its not the gene that is doing wonder but its the pair.

OA is B.. A quick question.. Do we really need "then" in statement B ? ..
"then" kind of confuses me..i think "then" is unnecessary when if is used..
For ex:
1.If you hit me,i will hit you back.
2.If you hit me, then i will hit you back ?
isn't 1 better here ??
VP
VP
 Q50  V34
Send PM
sharadGmat wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:

(A) There is a gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene the individual will not develop

(B) If the gene that causes hemophilia is paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop

==========> CORRECT

(C) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will prevent the individual from developing

(D) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

==========> passive as well as last part wierd "will not develop in the individual the disease's symptoms."

(E) The gene that causes hemophilia, if paired with a healthy gene, causes the individual not to develop

==========> who is paired and its not the gene that is doing wonder but its the pair.

For ex:
isn't 1 better here ??

Sharad,

I think the error in the question is not due to "If...then". There are other errors.

Coming to you second question, yes in this context, 1 is better but it all depends on the context.

For example, If you complete this assignment, then you will get good grade.

Guys correct me if I am wrong? BTW, I am not an SC guru. I am just a learner like you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ps_dahiya wrote:
sharadGmat wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:

==========> CORRECT

For ex:
isn't 1 better here ??

Sharad,

I think the error in the question is not due to "If...then". There are other errors.

Coming to you second question, yes in this context, 1 is better but it all depends on the context.

For example, If you complete this assignment, then you will get good grade.

Guys correct me if I am wrong? BTW, I am not an SC guru. I am just a learner like you.

Hmm.. I agree that "then" is ok here.. I got confused by "then and also I didn't see the error in C.. and chose C.. Thanks for pointing it out.. :)
VP
VP
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Sharad,

Don't take it as an offense but I would suggest not to go by the sound EXCEPT when

1. You narrowed down to two choices but now you can't find the gramatical mistake in these.
2. Listening for idioms

I used to go by the sound a lot and my SC rate was not that good. Now I always try to find the error in all the choice and I am improving day by day.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 782 [0]
Send PM
This sentence is a clear conditional case. When you use "IF" you should likely have "THEN" in the answer choice.... also never put "WILL" in the conditional 'IF' clause... always wrong...

in addition, if there is "IF" without "THEN" and it isn't a conditional sentence, then we use "WHETHER"

B is the only choice here based on my logic
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
Will go with B.

By POE this reamins the best choice
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
ps_dahiya wrote:

==========> CORRECT

Originally chose (C) but after reading PS Dashiya`s explanation I`m convinced it`s (B). Besides the mispositioned modifier, "prevent from developing" is wordier than "will not develope"

GMAT prefers simplicity..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1004 [0]
Send PM
guys, could you explain why C is wrong here. C by language implies that it's the pair of the genes that prevents the symptoms.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts