Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: If two of the four expressions x + y, x + 5y, x - y, and 5x - y are [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
If two of the four expressions x+y, x+5y, x-y, and 5x-y are chosen at random, what is the probability that their product will be of the form of x^2 -(by)^2, where b is an integer?

The number of ways we can select 2 out of 4 expressions are 4c2= 6 ways

These are 6 total outcomes possible.
(x+y) (x+5y)
(x+y) (x-y )
(x+y ) (5x-y)
(x+5y) (x-y)
(x+5y) (5x-y)
(x-y) (5x-y)

Out of this outcomes, we should look for the product in form of x^2 - (by)^2 , which is same as (x+by)(x - by), where b is an integer.

We can see that only 1 out of 6 is in the form of (x+by)(x - by) i.e (x+y) (x-y )

So the probability = 1/6
Option E is the answer.

Thanks,
Clifin J Francis,
GMAT SME
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: If two of the four expressions x + y, x + 5y, x - y, and 5x - y are [#permalink]
GMATNinja, can you please clarify why the following approach is not correct?
According to probability definition, probability=total # of desirable outcomes/total # of possible outcomes.
In this problem, total # of desirable outcomes=2 expressions. 2 expressions from the list can be used to produce the following outcome- x^2 - (by)^2 ; total # of possible outcomes=4 expressions--> Probability that their product will be of the form of x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer = 2/4=1/2
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, can you please clarify why the following approach is not correct?
According to probability definition, probability=total # of desirable outcomes/total # of possible outcomes.
In this problem, total # of desirable outcomes=2 expressions. 2 expressions from the list can be used to produce the following outcome- x^2 - (by)^2 ; total # of possible outcomes=4 expressions--> Probability that their product will be of the form of x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer = 2/4=1/2

Hi tkorzhan1995,

Your definition of probability is mathematically correct, but you have to follow the instructions in the prompt to make sure that you are correctly applying that formula.

We're told to take the product of 2 of the four given 'expressions.' When multiplying two terms together, it does not matter which one is first - meaning that there are 6 possible pairings of the four expressions (you could list them all out or use the Combination Formula --> 4c2).

From those 6 possible pairings, there is just 1 that is a match for the 'format' defined in the prompt, thus the probability is 1/6.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
If two of the four expressions x+y, x+5y, x-y, and 5x-y are chosen at random, what is the probability that their product will be of the form of x^2 -(by)^2, where b is an integer?

A. 1/2
B. 1/3
C. 1/4
D. 1/5
E. 1/6

Four expressions can be paired in \(C^2_4=6\) ways (choosing 2 out of 4);

\(x^2 - (by)^2=(x-by)(x+by)\) and only one pair is making such expression: \((x+1*y)(x-1*y)\), hence probability is 1/6.

Answer: E.

Dear Bunuel, thank you for the explanation but I have one doubt-

I got answer as A - 1/3

We want : (x + by) ( x - by)

We have x + y , x - y, x + 5y , 5x - y
While (x-y)(x+y) is obvious, can we say that --> x + 5y = x - y + 6y = x-y(1-6) = x - by form?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618885 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
If two of the four expressions x + y, x + 5y, x - y, and 5x - y are [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NCC wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 1/2
B. 1/3
C. 1/4
D. 1/5
E. 1/6

Four expressions can be paired in \(C^2_4=6\) ways (choosing 2 out of 4);

\(x^2 - (by)^2=(x-by)(x+by)\) and only one pair is making such expression: \((x+1*y)(x-1*y)\), hence probability is 1/6.

Answer: E.

Dear Bunuel, thank you for the explanation but I have one doubt-

I got answer as A - 1/3

We want : (x + by) ( x - by)

We have x + y , x - y, x + 5y , 5x - y
While (x-y)(x+y) is obvious, can we say that --> x + 5y = x - y + 6y = x-y(1-6) = x - by form?

If I got you right, you mean that if we write x + 5y as x - (-5)y, then it when multiplied by 5x-y will also be of the form of (x-by)(x+by). But if one of the expression is x - (-5)y, then, the product to be of the form of (x-by)(x+by), the second one must be x + (-5)y = x - 5y, while we have 5x-y.

Does this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hi Bunuel or any other expert.

Quote:
It should be 1/4*1/3*2, since you can choose (x+y) first and then (x-y) or vise versa.

Why did you multiply the above the 2? I think I am missing a concept here. Could you please help explain or refer to relatable links for guidance?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Vegita wrote:
Hi Bunuel or any other expert.

Quote:
It should be 1/4*1/3*2, since you can choose (x+y) first and then (x-y) or vise versa.

Why did you multiply the above the 2? I think I am missing a concept here. Could you please help explain or refer to relatable links for guidance?

See this explanation https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-two-of-th ... 92727.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Quote:

A. 1/2
B. 1/3
C. 1/4
D. 1/5
E. 1/6

1. The six possible products are:
(x+y)(x+5y) = x^2 + 6xy +5y^2 = doesn't work
(x+y)(x-y) = x^2 - y^2 = x^2 - (1y)^2 = WORKS!
(x+y)(5x-y) = 5x^2 +4xy - y^2 = doesn't work
(x+5y)(x-y) = x^2 + 4xy - 5y^2 = doesn't work
(x+5y)(5x-y) = 5x^2 +24xy -5y^2 = doesn't work
(x-y)(5x-y) = 5x^2 -6xy + y^2 = doesn't work
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Asked: If two of the four expressions x + y, x + 5y, x - y, and 5x - y are chosen at random, what is the probability that their product will be of the form of x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer?

(x+y)(x-y) = xˆ2 - yˆ2 : Of the form x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer
(x+y)(5x-y) = 5xˆ2 +4xy - yˆ2 : NOT Of the form x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer
(x+y)(x+5y) = xˆ2 + 6xy + 5yˆ2: NOT Of the form x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer
(x-y)(5x-y) = 5xˆ2 - 6xy +yˆ2: NOT Of the form x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer
(x-y)(x+5y) = xˆ2 + 4xy - 5yˆ2: NOT Of the form x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer
(x+5y)(5x-y)= 5xˆ2 + 9xy - 5yˆ2: NOT Of the form x^2 - (by)^2, where b is an integer

The probability that their product will be of the form of x^2 - (by)^2 = 1/6

IMO E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts