Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 376 [34]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618942 [28]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618942 [1]
Send PM
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vibhav wrote:
thanks bunuel. Its a common error to 'cancel' y on both sides. I fell prey to the same mistake.
However, just to clarify, basically when x = 2 then y can take any value and when y=0 x can take any value. In either case xy=0?

If y=0 then x can take any value - TRUE. In this case xy=0.
If x=2 then y can take any value - TRUE. In this case xy=0 only if y=0 but for any other possible value of y xy does not equal to zero (for example consider x=2 and y=1).

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy? [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

If x=2 then y can take any value - TRUE. In this case xy=0 only if y=0 but for any other possible value of y xy does not equal to zero (for example consider x=2 and y=1).

Just by looking at this equation y(x^2 -4x+4) = 0 either the quadratic term has to equal 0, in which case x=2, or y has to equal to zero. In which scenario will y =1 and x=2 occur?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618942 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
vibhav wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Just by looking at this equation y(x^2 -4x+4) = 0 either the quadratic term has to equal 0, in which case x=2, or y has to equal to zero. In which scenario will y =1 and x=2 occur?

Again: \(y(x-2)^2=0\) means that either \(x=2\) or \(y=0\) (or both).

Now, if \(x=2\) then \(y\) can take ANY value including 1.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Made silly mistake....
I thought using stmt 1 - xy always comes to be 0...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
kashishh wrote:
If x and y are integers and 4xy = x^2*y+4y, what is the value of xy?

(1) y-x = 2
(2) x^3 <0

what I did : 4xy = x^2y+4y
4x = x^2+4
x^2-4x+4 = 0
(x-2)^2=0
x = 2
is this wrong?

You cannot divide 4xy=x^2y+4y by y and write 4x=x^2+4, because y can be zero and division be zero is not allowed. Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero. So when you divide by y you assume, with no ground for it, that y does not equal to zero thus exclude a possible solution.

\(4xy=x^2*y+4y\) --> \(x^2*y-4xy+4y=0\) --> \(y(x^2-4x+4)=0\) --> \(y(x-2)^2=0\) --> either \(x=2\) or \(y=0\) (or both).

(1) y-x = 2 --> if \(x=2\) then \(y=4\) and \(xy=8\) but if \(y=0\) then \(x=-2\) and \(xy = 0\). Not sufficient.

(2) x^3<0 --> \(x<0\), so \(x\neq{2}\) which means that \(y\) must equal to zero --> \(xy=0\). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

instead of taking LHS to RHS , I brought RHS to LHS
and got 4xy-x^2y - 4y = 0
now y (4x-x^2- 4 )= 0
y (-x^2 +4x - 4)= 0
y (x+2)^2= 0
either y = 0 or x = -2
now obviously x=-2 does not satisfy 4xy = x^2*y+4y, now I was expecting the same answer both ways.
Now am I doing something wrong,or is it just one of those cases where the equation works a certain way and not the other way

by the way factorization of -x^2 +4x-4 =0 is (x+2)^2 right? if x^2 has a coefficient we have to multiply the constant (-4) with the coefficient of x^2 do we not.
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kashishh wrote:

(1) y-x = 2
(2) x^3 <0

what I did : 4xy = x^2y+4y
4x = x^2+4
x^2-4x+4 = 0
(x-2)^2=0
x = 2
is this wrong?

You cannot divide 4xy=x^2y+4y by y and write 4x=x^2+4, because y can be zero and division be zero is not allowed. Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero. So when you divide by y you assume, with no ground for it, that y does not equal to zero thus exclude a possible solution.

\(4xy=x^2*y+4y\) --> \(x^2*y-4xy+4y=0\) --> \(y(x^2-4x+4)=0\) --> \(y(x-2)^2=0\) --> either \(x=2\) or \(y=0\) (or both).

(1) y-x = 2 --> if \(x=2\) then \(y=4\) and \(xy=8\) but if \(y=0\) then \(x=-2\) and \(xy = 0\). Not sufficient.

(2) x^3<0 --> \(x<0\), so \(x\neq{2}\) which means that \(y\) must equal to zero --> \(xy=0\). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

now y (4x-x^2- 4 )= 0
y (-x^2 +4x - 4)= 0
y (x+2)^2= 0
either y = 0 or x = -2
now obviously x=-2 does not satisfy 4xy = x^2*y+4y, now I was expecting the same answer both ways.
Now am I doing something wrong,or is it just one of those cases where the equation works a certain way and not the other way

by the way factorization of -x^2 +4x-4 =0 is (x+2)^2 right? if x^2 has a coefficient we have to multiply the constant (-4) with the coefficient of x^2 do we not.

You could expand \((x+2)^2\) to check your reasoning: \((x+2)^2=x^2+2x+4\), while \(-x^2 +4x-4=-(x^2-4x+4)=-(x-2)^2\). Thus, \(y(4x-x^2- 4 )=0\) can be written as \(-y(x-2)^2=0\) --> \(x=2\) or \(y=0\).

Hope it's clear.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:

now y (4x-x^2- 4 )= 0
y (-x^2 +4x - 4)= 0
y (x+2)^2= 0
either y = 0 or x = -2

You could expand \((x+2)^2\) to check your reasoning: \((x+2)^2=x^2+2x+4\), while \(-x^2 +4x-4=-(x^2-4x+4)=-(x-2)^2\). Thus, \(y(4x-x^2- 4 )=0\) can be written as \(-y(x-2)^2=0\) --> \(x=2\) or \(y=0\).

Hope it's clear.

I think I am still missing something, can you please show me how to factorize -x^2+4x-4= 0 without taking out the negative sign, answer should be same right? Thank you

Originally posted by stne on 14 Sep 2013, 03:59.
Last edited by stne on 14 Sep 2013, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stne wrote:
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

now y (4x-x^2- 4 )= 0
y (-x^2 +4x - 4)= 0
y (x+2)^2= 0
either y = 0 or x = -2

Hope it's clear.

I think I am still missing something, can you please show me how to factorize -x^2+4x-4= 0 without taking out the negative sign, answer should be same right? Thank you

You can factor -x^2 + 4x - 4 only as -(x-2)^2.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

You can factor -x^2 + 4x - 4 only as -(x-2)^2.

Thank you +1, I was under the impression that it was possible to factor -x^2 +4x-4 as it is and it was not necessary to take out the negative sign. One of those mistakes , waiting to happen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GMAT 2: 530 Q49 V13
GMAT 3: 590 Q49 V21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,
Thanks for the wonderful response. Please let me know that we should you use it as truth statement for DS question (Algebra) that "Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero". I surely follow it that reduce variable in algebra only when I am sure that they are not equal to 0.

Please do explain one doubt .What you said make logical sense but it contradicts from my previous knowledge that if we have an equation and two expression are equal to each other than we can reduce the common variable such as y from both side and there is no where mention that variable not equal to 0.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618942 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
vikrantgulia wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Thanks for the wonderful response. Please let me know that we should you use it as truth statement for DS question (Algebra) that "Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We can not divide by zero". I surely follow it that reduce variable in algebra only when I am sure that they are not equal to 0.

Please do explain one doubt .What you said make logical sense but it contradicts from my previous knowledge that if we have an equation and two expression are equal to each other than we can reduce the common variable such as y from both side and there is no where mention that variable not equal to 0.

Yes, the property is true.

Consider simple example: xy=x. If you reduce this expression by x you get definite answer that y=1 but if there x=0, then y is not necessary to be 1, it can be any number.

Correct solution would be xy=x --> x(y-1)=0 --> x=0 OR y=1.

Does this make sense?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts