Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1141 [32]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [15]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1141 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers greater than 1 such that x [#permalink]
Ans:
from the conditions given to us we get x>y and the min value of y can be 2 , therefore x will be a multiple of 4 so both I and ii will always be non-prime but iii will not be an integer. Answer (D).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Send PM
x - y is an even integer: Therefore, for the equation to hold true, both x and y have to be even.

x/y is an even integer: Therefore, this implies that x has to be greater than y.
We can eliminate option III as y/x will never be an integer (Since x>y)

Statement I, x: x>y, hence x has to greater than 2 and even, therefore divisible by 2 and non-prime.
Statement II, x+y: x+y will be divisible by at least 2 since both x and y are even, hence the sum is non prime.

Thus, option D is the correct answer.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Number Properties: math-number-theory-88376.html

All DS Number Properties Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=38
All PS Number Properties Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=59
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Hi Bunuel or any other expert...

I have a small question.
I answered E which is all 3, I got I and II, but for III of course it will be a fraction and fraction is not a prime number so I includded also III as must be true answer choice. Im I wrong or the question has to add something like a integer and non-prime, something on that line. Im sure you got my point.
Why I think this is beacuse as I remmeber well there was one OG question saying non even integer, and the correct choice was includong odd numebrs and fractions. so I got confused. I perfectly fine arrive to teh answer but this small ambiguity present in the question take away from me the correct answer.

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kzivrev wrote:
Hi Bunuel or any other expert...

I have a small question.
I answered E which is all 3, I got I and II, but for III of course it will be a fraction and fraction is not a prime number so I includded also III as must be true answer choice. Im I wrong or the question has to add something like a integer and non-prime, something on that line. Im sure you got my point.
Why I think this is beacuse as I remmeber well there was one OG question saying non even integer, and the correct choice was includong odd numebrs and fractions. so I got confused. I perfectly fine arrive to teh answer but this small ambiguity present in the question take away from me the correct answer.

Thanks

Non-prime integers are integers which are not prime. Can you please share OG question you are talking about? Thank you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [0]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Posting official solution of this problem :-
Attachments

official_5.PNG
official_5.PNG [ 101.34 KiB | Viewed 10135 times ]

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
daviesj wrote:
If x and y are positive integers greater than 1 such that x – y and x/y are both even integers, which of the following numbers must be non-prime integers?

I. x
II. x + y
III. y/x

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) I, II and III

Since x/y is even and y > 1, then x must be an even integer > 2, which can never be a prime integer. Roman numeral I is correct.

Since x - y is even, x + y must be even, too, since x and y are either both odd or both even. Since x and y are both greater than 1, then x + y must be an even integer > 2, which can never be a prime integer. Roman numeral II is correct.

Since x/y is a positive even integer, y/x is the reciprocal of a positive even integer, so y/x is not an integer. Roman numeral III is not correct.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

We're told that X and Y are positive integers GREATER than 1 such that (X - Y) is an EVEN integer and X/Y is an EVEN integer. We're asked which of the following numbers must be NON-PRIME integers. This question can be solved with a mix of Number Property rules and TESTing VALUES.

To start, we should define the Number Properties that apply to the information in the prompt:
1) Since X and Y are positive integers GREATER than 1 - and (X - Y) is EVEN, X and Y are either BOTH even (re: 4 - 2 = 2) or BOTH odd (7 - 3 = 4).
2) Since X/Y is an EVEN integer, X MUST be an EVEN MULTIPLE of Y. For example 4/2 = 2, 12/3 = 4, 36/6 = 6, etc.

Based on these Number Properties, we can work through the Roman Numerals rather quickly:

I. X

Since Y is GREATER than 1 and X is an EVEN MULTIPLE of Y, we know that X will be 4 or a greater even number. Thus, it will NEVER be a prime.
Roman Numeral 1 is part of the correct answer.
Eliminate Answer B and C.

II. (X+Y)

Since X and Y will either be BOTH even or BOTH ODD, the sum will either be (even + even = even) or (odd + odd = even). Thus, this sum will NEVER be a prime.
Roman Numeral 2 is part of the correct answer.
Eliminate Answer A.

III. Y/X

Since X will ALWAYS be bigger than Y, this fraction will always be a fraction that is less than 1. Therefore, while it won't be a prime number, it won't be an INTEGER either.
Roman Numeral 3 is NOT part of the correct answer.
Eliminate Answer E.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
This is a ‘Must be’ kind of a question. We will have to take some simple cases to ascertain which statement can be proved false. The statement/s which cannot be proved false at all will feature in our answers.

The question says that x and y are positive integers greater than 1. This means that neither x nor y can be equal to either 0 or 1. The smallest value that either of these two values can take will be 2.

Also, x-y = even. Since x and y are positive integers, x-y being even only means that x is greater than y. Therefore, x cannot be equal to 2, it HAS to be greater than 2. Also, both x and y HAVE to be even since x/y is given to be even as well.

From all this, we may safely say that the smallest possible value for x HAS to be 4. 4 is a non-prime integer. Since the smallest value of x is non-prime, the other values of x will also be non-prime. Therefore, statement I is always true. Based on this, we can eliminate options B and C since they do not contain statement I in them.

Since both x and y are even and x is at least 4, x+y HAS to be an even number greater than 4 and so cannot be prime. Statement II is always true. Option A can be eliminated.

If y = 2 and x = 4, x-y = 2 and x/y = 2. However, y/x is a fraction and cannot be a non-prime integer. Statement III is not always true. Option E is eliminated.

The correct answer option is D.

Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Asked: If x and y are positive integers greater than 1 such that x – y and x/y are both even integers, which of the following numbers must be non-prime integers?

x & y are both even integers.

I. x; x/y; x>2 and even ; non-prime
II. x + y; x+y > 2 and even ; non-prime
III. y/x; Since y<x; y/x is a fraction; Not an integer

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) I, II and III

IMO D
GMAT Club Bot