Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64915 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers, what is the greatest common divisor [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
zest4mba wrote:
If x and y are positive integers, what is the greatest common divisor of x and y?

(1) 2x + y = 73
(2) 5x – 3y = 1

Question : GCD of x and y = ?

Statement 1: 2x + y = 73

This statement can give us multiple solutions of x and y but the important part is to notice the value of GCD in each case e.g.
(y=1, x=36) GCD = 1
(y=3, x=35) GCD = 1
(y=5, x=34) GCD = 1
(y=7, x=33) GCD = 1
(y=9, x=32) GCD = 1... and so on...

Finally we realize that instead of multiple solutions of x and y, their GCD is consistently 1,
Hence SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: 5x – 3y = 1

(y=3, x=2) GCD = 1
(y=8, x=5) GCD = 1
(y=13, x=8) GCD = 1
(y=18, x=11) GCD = 1
(y=23, x=14) GCD = 1... and so on...

Finally we realize that instead of multiple solutions of x and y, their GCD is consistently 1,
Hence SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option

Point to Learn: In all such equations with two variable you can realize that the solutions have a harmony i.e. value of variable x changes by co-efficient of y and value of y changes by co-efficient of x and this relation holds true in all such equation where the GCD of co-efficients of x and y is 1.

If there is some common factor among co-efficients of x and y then cancel the common factor and the rule holds true in those cases with modified equation.

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3130 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers, what is the greatest common divisor [#permalink]
Here is what i did => i made the pairs of values and saw the pattern and then compiled that D is correct
still not able to see a proper solution on this page
some are quoting algebra and some are doing by values putting
maybe chetan2u will be helpful here..
Any other methods?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64915 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Chiragjordan wrote:
Here is what i did => i made the pairs of values and saw the pattern and then compiled that D is correct
still not able to see a proper solution on this page
some are quoting algebra and some are doing by values putting
maybe chetan2u will be helpful here..
Any other methods?

Have you checked out Bunuel's solution on the first page?
if-x-and-y-are-positive-integers-what-is-the-greatest-128552.html#p1053416

It explains the best way to deal with this question.

If you want to avoid algebra, think about it like this:

If x and y are positive integers, what is the greatest common divisor of x and y?

1) 2x + y = 73
Say, x and y have a common factor f other than 1. If that is the case, you should be able to take f common out of the two terms on left hand side. So you will get
f*something = 73
But 73 cannot be written as product of two numbers other than 1 and itself. So f MUST BE 1. Hence greatest common divisor of x and y MUST BE 1. Sufficient

2) 5x – 3y = 1
Here, 5x and 3y are consecutive integers (since difference between them is 1). Consecutive integers can share no common factor other than 1. So 5x and 3y have no common factors. This means that x and y can have no common factors (other than 1) too. Else that factor would have been common between 5x and 3y too. Hence greatest common divisor of x and y MUST BE 1. Sufficient

Answer (D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
Bookmarks
manishkhare wrote:

1. 2x + y = 73
2. 5x – 3y = 1

Another way of solving it .Both x and y are integers .
From 1: x =(73-y)/2 .Since x is a integer it implies 73-y =even number .73 is Odd so y is also Odd .X is even so GCM will be 1.Sufficient

From 2 :5x-3y =1 .They are consecutive numbers i.e .odd-even or even -odd .so the GCM in this case =1 .Sufficient

Option D is correct .

Press Kudos if you like the solution.

just a general thing .y is odd and x is even take y =15 and x=30 .GCD N.E. 1

so there's gotta be other approach just by saying y is odd and x even won't get GCD=1 always

i guess if this type of question encounters u better skip taking a hard guess .Dont waste time(BTW gmat won't give this type of problem involving so much calculations.the paper always play with tricks which you have to find out)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
carcass wrote:
Thanks bunuel.

From your explanation can we suppose to apply the reasoning from statement two to the first one or is not possible ?? would be a big mistake because 1 is NOT prime??'

I suppose you mean whether we can apply the reasoning from (1) to statement (2). Yes, we can:

(2) \(5x-3y=1\) --> Suppose GCD(x, y) is some integer \(d\), then \(x=md\) and \(y=nd\), for some positive integers \(m\) and \(n\). So, we'll have \(5(md)-3(nd)=d(5m-3n)=1\) --> \(d\) is a factor of 1, so \(d\) must equal 1. Sufficient.

Bunuel one silly question but please help with this :

Through the above logic for point 2 ,how can we be sure that d =1 .What about d= 1/(5M-3N) and that being another value apart from 1

Thanks a ton for all the help!!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
KARISHMA315 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
carcass wrote:
Thanks bunuel.

From your explanation can we suppose to apply the reasoning from statement two to the first one or is not possible ?? would be a big mistake because 1 is NOT prime??'

I suppose you mean whether we can apply the reasoning from (1) to statement (2). Yes, we can:

(2) \(5x-3y=1\) --> Suppose GCD(x, y) is some integer \(d\), then \(x=md\) and \(y=nd\), for some positive integers \(m\) and \(n\). So, we'll have \(5(md)-3(nd)=d(5m-3n)=1\) --> \(d\) is a factor of 1, so \(d\) must equal 1. Sufficient.

Bunuel one silly question but please help with this :

Through the above logic for point 2 ,how can we be sure that d =1 .What about d= 1/(5M-3N) and that being another value apart from 1

Thanks a ton for all the help!!!

We have \(d(5m-3n)=1\). Both d and (5m-3n) are positive integers, there is only one value of d possible, d = 1.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:
zest4mba wrote:

(1) 2x + y = 73
(2) 5x – 3y = 1

Question : GCD of x and y = ?

Statement 1: 2x + y = 73

This statement can give us multiple solutions of x and y but the important part is to notice the value of GCD in each case e.g.
(y=1, x=36) GCD = 1
(y=3, x=35) GCD = 1
(y=5, x=34) GCD = 1
(y=7, x=33) GCD = 1
(y=9, x=32) GCD = 1... and so on...

Hence SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: 5x – 3y = 1

(y=3, x=2) GCD = 1
(y=8, x=5) GCD = 1
(y=13, x=8) GCD = 1
(y=18, x=11) GCD = 1
(y=23, x=14) GCD = 1... and so on...

Hence SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option

Point to Learn: In all such equations with two variable you can realize that the solutions have a harmony i.e. value of variable x changes by co-efficient of y and value of y changes by co-efficient of x and this relation holds true in all such equation where the GCD of co-efficients of x and y is 1.

If there is some common factor among co-efficients of x and y then cancel the common factor and the rule holds true in those cases with modified equation.

Dear GMATinsight

Can you please elaborate the red bold statements with examples? I do not grasp the coefficient issue here.

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
zest4mba wrote:

(1) 2x + y = 73
(2) 5x – 3y = 1

Solution:

Statement 1:Sufficient
Test cases:
x = 2, y = 69, GCD = 1
x = 3, y = 67, GCD = 1
x = 4, y = 65, GCD = 1

Statement 2:Sufficient
Test cases:
x = 2, y = 3, GCD = 1
x = 3, y = 4, GCD = 1
x = 5, y = 8, GCD = 1

The answer is D.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts