Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [150]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618731 [115]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618731 [27]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [22]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers, what is the greatest common divisor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
zest4mba wrote:
If x and y are positive integers, what is the greatest common divisor of x and y?

1. 2x + y = 73
2. 5x – 3y = 1

Say x and y were both divisible by some number d. Then 2x + y would certainly be a multiple of d (if you add two multiples of d, you always get a multiple of d). Now we know from statement 1 that 2x + y is the number 73, so if 2x+y is divisible by d, then 73 must be divisible by d. But 73 is prime, so d could only be 1 or 73. Clearly d can't be 73, since then 2x +y would not equal 73, so the only possible value of d is 1, and thus 1 is the only common divisor of x and y.

You can use the same logic for statement 2: If x and y are both multiples of d, then 5x - 3y would need to be a multiple of d. But 5x-3y = 1, so 1 is a multiple of d, and d must be 1.

D.
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32866 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers, what is the greatest common divisor [#permalink]
Thanks bunuel.

From your explanation can we suppose to apply the reasoning from statement two to the first one or is not possible ?? would be a big mistake because 1 is NOT prime??'
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618731 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
Thanks bunuel.

From your explanation can we suppose to apply the reasoning from statement two to the first one or is not possible ?? would be a big mistake because 1 is NOT prime??'

I suppose you mean whether we can apply the reasoning from (1) to statement (2). Yes, we can:

(2) \(5x-3y=1\) --> Suppose GCD(x, y) is some integer \(d\), then \(x=md\) and \(y=nd\), for some positive integers \(m\) and \(n\). So, we'll have \(5(md)-3(nd)=d(5m-3n)=1\) --> \(d\) is a factor of 1, so \(d\) must equal 1. Sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
carcass wrote:
If x and y are positive integers, what is the greatest common divisor of x and y?

1) 2x + y = 73
2) 5x – 3y = 1

MMMMMMmm

Here I'm not sure that the answer is C because is true that we need of both statement to find possible values for X and Y. Infact statement 1 and 2 we do not have values for the variables (can be everything).

But it seems to be a trap answer......

This is a classic "C trap" question: "C trap" is a problem which is VERY OBVIOUSLY sufficient if both statements are taken together. When you see such question you should be extremely cautious when choosing C for an answer.

(1) \(2x+y=73\). Suppose GCD(x, y) is some integer \(d\), then \(x=md\) and \(y=nd\), for some positive integers \(m\) and \(n\). So, we'll have \(2(md)+(nd)=d(2m+n)=73\). Now, since 73 is a prime number (73=1*73) then \(d=1\) and \(2m+n=73\) (vice versa is not possible because \(m\) and \(n\) are positve integers and therefore \(2m+n\) can not equal to 1). Hence we have that GCD(x, y)=d=1. Sufficient.

(2) \(5x-3y=1\) --> \(5x=3y+1\) --> \(5x\) and \(3y\) are consecutive integers. Two consecutive integers are co-prime, which means that they don't share ANY common factor but 1 (for example 20 and 21 are consecutive integers, thus only common factor they share is 1). So, \(5x\) and \(3y\) don't share any common factor but 1, thus \(x\) and \(y\) also don't share any common factor but 1. Hence, GCD(x, y) is 1. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

I m not so good in reasoning so I put the values and check.

For example in statement 1 I just entered the values of y as 1,3,5,7 and I get the values of X as 36,35,34,33 respect. After checking 4 - 5 values I got to know that the gcf is 1.

Please let me know if my strategy is good or not.

Thanks,
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vivekdixit07 wrote:
Hi,

For example in statement 1 I just entered the values of y as 1,3,5,7 and I get the values of X as 36,35,34,33 respect. After checking 4 - 5 values I got to know that the gcf is 1.

Thanks,

Try to understand this: If something generic is established, you can plug in specific examples and use them e.g. if I say, "All boys are crazy." I can say, "Tom, a boy, is crazy."
But the other way around may not always work. From certain examples, you cannot establish something generic. e.g. I cannot say, "Tom is crazy. Alfred is crazy. Ross is crazy. We can conclude that all boys are crazy."
Here, you have tried to do something like this which is not good. We cannot blindly plug in numbers and establish that GCD will be 1. We could have missed some pairs where GCD may not have been 1. What you can do is plug in some numbers and then think why you are getting GCD = 1 in each case and whether it will be true for all pair of values.

Check out Bunuel's explanation above. It's very important and you can expect to be tested on such concepts in GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
vivekdixit07 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Try to understand this: If something generic is established, you can plug in specific examples and use them e.g. if I say, "All boys are crazy." I can say, "Tom, a boy, is crazy."
But the other way around may not always work. From certain examples, you cannot establish something generic. e.g. I cannot say, "Tom is crazy. Alfred is crazy. Ross is crazy. We can conclude that all boys are crazy."
Here, you have tried to do something like this which is not good. We cannot blindly plug in numbers and establish that GCD will be 1. We could have missed some pairs where GCD may not have been 1. What you can do is plug in some numbers and then think why you are getting GCD = 1 in each case and whether it will be true for all pair of values.

Check out Bunuel's explanation above. It's very important and you can expect to be tested on such concepts in GMAT.

===============
Karishma, Bunuel,

I solved the above problem in the following manner. Please let me know whether that is the right approach or not.

1) 2x+y=73=>y=73-2x
As x & y are positive integers=> let x= 1 => y=71
x=2=> y=69
x=3=> y=67
=> x & y have no common factors other than 1 in each cases. Sufficient
2) 5x-3y=1=> y=(5x-1)/3
As x& y are +ve integers for x= 2, y=3
x=5, y=8
x=8, y=13
=> In each of the above cases, x & y have GCF=1. Sufficient

ANS- D
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos