Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618596 [13]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618596 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT Date: 09-12-2015
Send PM
Re: If x is a positive integer, and two sides of a certain triangle have [#permalink]
Kudos
askhere wrote:
Let the third side of triangle be AB
Triangle rule states that:
Difference of other 2 sides < any side < sum of other two sides

So 4x+5 - (3x+2) < AB < 4x+5 + (3x+2)
i.e. x + 3 < AB < 7x +7
Let's take x =5 :
So 8 < AB < 42
Check if the options lies between 8 & 42.
I: 6x+7 = 37 ; could be a possible value.
II: 6x+9 =39 ; could be a possible value.
III: 8x+1 = 41; could be a possible value.
I, II and III could be a possible value.

Answer : E
Ambarish

If you use the method of substituting x for a real integer, someone may substitutes the number which is NOT in the range of 2 < x < 6 (see my above solution), they will choose A or C (wrong answer) instead of E.

For example: if x = 1, substitute to II we have 6x + 9 = 15
Your inequality becomes 4 < 15 <14 -> wrong

or if x = 10, substitute to III, 8x + 1 = 81
Your inequality becomes 13 < 81 < 77 -> wrong

You luckily substituted the right number, so you get the right answer. However, if someone is not lucky like you, they will choose wrong answer or they will waste time trying some different numbers until get I, II and III are possible length of the 3rd side.

I DO NOT say your method is the incorrect one, but in my perspective a method which is based on luck is not a good method.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: If x is a positive integer, and two sides of a certain triangle have [#permalink]
Kudos
third side need to fall between [ (4x+5)-(3x+2) < Side 3 < (4x+5)+(3x+2) ]

(x+3) < Side 3 <(7x+7)

now as x is positive integer (lets try some +ve integers say : 1 ,2, 3)

for x = 1 ;
I. 6x + 7 = 13 ; satisfy cond. (x+3) < Side 3 < (7x+7)
II. 6x + 9 = 15 ; does not satisfy
III. 8x + 1 = 9 ; satisfy cond. (x+3) < Side 3 < (7x+7)

for x = 2 ; same as above

for x = 3 ;
II. 6x + 9 = 15 ; satisfy cond. (x+3) < Side 3 < (7x+7)

hence all three are possible values of 3rd side

Answer : E. (I, II and III)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Let the lenth of the third side is Y. The sum of the 2 other sides will be 7x + 7.
Use the triangle rule: the sum of any 2 sides will be always larger than the third side.
-> 7x + 7 > Y

Look at I, simply because X is a positive number so that 7x + 7 definitely larger than 6x + 7. Hence, I is right.
Therefore, we can eliminate answer B and D.

Now we can easily solve the 2 inequalities:

* 7x + 7 > 6x + 9 -> x > 2

* 7x + 7 > 8x + 1 -> x <6

Given the condition 2 < x < 6 (x > 0), II and II COULD BE the length of the 3rd side as the thread asks us.

Hence, I, II and III could be the length of the third side.
The right answer is E.

Originally posted by Irtim2307 on 20 May 2015, 05:37.
Last edited by Irtim2307 on 20 May 2015, 06:09, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Irtim2307 wrote:
askhere wrote:
Let the third side of triangle be AB
Triangle rule states that:
Difference of other 2 sides < any side < sum of other two sides

So 4x+5 - (3x+2) < AB < 4x+5 + (3x+2)
i.e. x + 3 < AB < 7x +7
Let's take x =5 :
So 8 < AB < 42
Check if the options lies between 8 & 42.
I: 6x+7 = 37 ; could be a possible value.
II: 6x+9 =39 ; could be a possible value.
III: 8x+1 = 41; could be a possible value.
I, II and III could be a possible value.

Answer : E
Ambarish

If you use the method of substituting x for a real integer, someone may substitutes the number which is NOT in the range of 2 < x < 6 (see my above solution), they will choose A or C (wrong answer) instead of E.

For example: if x = 1, substitute to II we have 6x + 9 = 15
Your inequality becomes 4 < 15 <14 -> wrong

or if x = 10, substitute to III, 8x + 1 = 81
Your inequality becomes 13 < 81 < 77 -> wrong

You luckily substituted the right number, so you get the right answer. However, if someone is not lucky like you, they will choose wrong answer or they will waste time trying some different numbers until get I, II and III are possible length of the 3rd side.

I DO NOT say your method is the incorrect one, but in my perspective a method which is based on luck is not a good method.

Good point. It wasn't by luck I chose 5. I knew that there are numbers which give you wrong answers as well. But since this is a 'could be' question one should choose a number such that you get to the answer in one shot. Looking at the upper limits (7x+7 and 8x+1 ) one can deduce that they cannot work with integers greater than 5. For example when x =6; 7x+7 = 8x+1 which is out of the range.This is why I chose 5.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Rudey: RD
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V31
GPA: 3.29
WE:Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
If x is a positive integer, and two sides of a certain triangle have lengths 3x+2 and 4x+5 respectively, which of the following could be the length of the third side of the triangle?

I. 6x + 7
II. 6x + 9
III. 8x + 1

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

This questions asks us to keep in mind when finding the values as "could be"

As per formula the sum of 2 sides of a triangle are more than the third side and the difference of the 2 sides is less than than the third side.

I and II can be seen to fit into the equation, though if we look at the III option, 8x+1, We can plug in values to check, if x=1, then the 2 sides given are 9 and 5, the III option is 9 as well, considering the question is asking "could be". all three options are correct. E is the right answer.

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Rudey: RD
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V31
GPA: 3.29
WE:Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
Irtim2307 wrote:
RudeyboyZ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If x is a positive integer, and two sides of a certain triangle have lengths 3x+2 and 4x+5 respectively, which of the following could be the length of the third side of the triangle?

I. 6x + 7
II. 6x + 9
III. 8x + 1

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

As per formula the sum of 2 sides of a triangle are more than the third side and the difference of the 2 sides is less than than the third side.

I and II can be seen to fit into the equation, though if we look at the III option, 8x+1, We can plug in values to check, if x=1, then the 2 sides given are 9 and 5, the III option is 9 as well, considering the question is asking "could be". all three options are correct. E is the right answer.

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.

Hi Rudraksh,

Why do you say "II can be seen to fit into the equation"?

Dear Irtim2307,

I read your solution and from what I understand, it is a more correct approach than mine, as rightly said, one may come to a wrong conclusion.

That said, I paid heed to word "could" knowing that 7x+7 is (4x+5 summed 3x+2) will have possibilities where it might and might not work when tried against 6x+9.

I just needed to know that it could, as the question stem says.

Hope I am able to assist you.

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello guys my attempt:

Concept used: Triangle inequality theorem which states that sum of two sides of a triangle is always equal to or greater than the third side.

Point to keep in mind that x is a positive integer and sum of the given two sides is 7x+7

1. 6x+7
This is always greater than the other two numbers and 7x+7>6x+7. Thus possible.

2. 6x+9
This is always greater than the other two numbers and 7x+7=6x+9 is possible for x=2. Thus possible.

3. 8x+1
This number can be equal to 4x+5 at x=1 where two sides of the isosceles triangle will be 9 each and the third side will be 5. Thus possible.

All possible. Answer E.
Attachments

Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg [ 24.13 KiB | Viewed 8211 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Chiragjordan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. 6x + 7
II. 6x + 9
III. 8x + 1

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Notice that the question asks which of the following could be the length of the third side of the triangle.

What if the Question Had Asked Must be instead of could be => Then 1 and 3 will be true i am guessing ??/

Note : solving for If questions had asked for must be true instead of could be (then we have to plug values of x)

Now, as x is a positive integer, it can have values = {0, 1 , 2 , 3.... 10..}

(4x+5) - (3x+2) < (third side) < (3x+2) + (4x+5)
x + 3 < (third side) < 7x + 7.

Let's check options:

I. 6x + 7. For any positive value of x, x + 3 < 6x + 7 < 7x + 7. OK.
\(x + 3 < (third Side = 6x + 7) < 7x + 7\)
should hold for any positive value of x

II. 6x + 9. For x = 1 or x = 2, x + 3 < 6x + 9 < 7x + 7 does not hold true but if x = 2, No.
\(x + 3 < (third Side = 6x + 9) < 7x + 7\)
\(2 + 3 < (third Side = 6.2 + 9) < 7.2 + 7\)
\(5 < 21 < 21\)
\(Nope\)

III. 8x + 1. Right away we can find that if x = 1, then x + 3 < 8x + 1 < 7x + 7 is true. OK, But what about bigger value of x say x=10 does not hold true but if x = 10, No.
\(x + 3 < (third Side = 8x + 1) < 7x + 7\)
\(10 + 3 < (third Side = 8.10 + 1) < 7.10 + 7\)
\(13 < 81 < 77\)
\(Nope\)

so in case of must be true only (i) is true

in case of could be true all 3 true
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
RudeyboyZ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. 6x + 7
II. 6x + 9
III. 8x + 1

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Warm Regards,

Rudraksh.

Hi Rudraksh,

Why do you say "II can be seen to fit into the equation"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Thank you for answering me Rudraksh.

But I just don't understand why just looking II makes you say "II can be seen to fit into the equation". May be you have something I can learn from.

Regard.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT Date: 07-11-2015
GPA: 2.9
WE:Account Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
I plug in x =1 and didn't think to check for additional values of x. It led me to answer choice A. Your explanations helped! +1 UJs, thanks.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3124 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. 6x + 7
II. 6x + 9
III. 8x + 1

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Notice that the question asks which of the following could be the length of the third side of the triangle.

Hey what if the Question had asked MUST be Instead of Could BE => i am guessing 1 and 3 will hold true ?

Next, the length of any side of a triangle must be larger than the positive difference of the other two sides, but smaller than the sum of the other two sides. Therefore:

Let's check options:

II. 6x + 9. For x = 1 or x = 2, x + 3 < 6x + 9 < 7x + 7 does not hold true but if x = 3, then it does. OK.

III. 8x + 1. Right away we can find that if x = 1, then x + 3 < 8x + 1 < 7x + 7 is true. OK.

Answer: E.

What if the Question Had Asked Must be instead of could be => Then 1 and 3 will be true i am guessing ??/
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3124 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM

What if the Question Had Asked Must be instead of could be => Then 1 and 3 will be true i am guessing ??/[/quote][/quote]

Note : solving for If questions had asked for must be true instead of could be (then we have to plug values of x)

Now, as x is a positive integer, it can have values = {0, 1 , 2 , 3.... 10..}

Let's check options:

\(x + 3 < (third Side = 6x + 7) < 7x + 7\)
should hold for any positive value of x

II. 6x + 9. For x = 1 or x = 2, x + 3 < 6x + 9 < 7x + 7 does not hold true but if x = 2, No.
\(x + 3 < (third Side = 6x + 9) < 7x + 7\)
\(2 + 3 < (third Side = 6.2 + 9) < 7.2 + 7\)
\(5 < 21 < 21\)
\(Nope\)

III. 8x + 1. Right away we can find that if x = 1, then x + 3 < 8x + 1 < 7x + 7 is true. OK, But what about bigger value of x say x=10 does not hold true but if x = 10, No.
\(x + 3 < (third Side = 8x + 1) < 7x + 7\)
\(10 + 3 < (third Side = 8.10 + 1) < 7.10 + 7\)
\(13 < 81 < 77\)
\(Nope\)

so in case of must be true only (i) is true

in case of could be true all 3 true[/quote]

Excellent stuff..!!!
Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts