Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9679 [113]
Given Kudos: 38
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31899 [30]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [9]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [6]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: If x is a positive integer, r is the remainder when x is divided by 4, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
parkhydel wrote:
If x is a positive integer, r is the remainder when x is divided by 4, and R is the remainder when x is divided by 9, what is the greatest possible value of r^2 + R ?

A. 25
B. 21
C. 17
D. 13
E. 11

PS18180.02

x = 4a+r

CONCEPT: Remainder < Divisor
i.e. remainders for divisor 4 may be {0, 1, 2, 3}

i.e. \(r_{Max} = 3\)

x = 9a+R

i.e. remainders for divisor 49may be {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8}[/b]

i.e. \(R_{Max} = 8\)

\(r^2 + R = 3^2 + 8 = 17\)

Answer: Option C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1118 [4]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: If x is a positive integer, r is the remainder when x is divided by 4, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
\(x\) — positive integer
\(x= 4m+ r \)
\(x = 9n + R \)

r could be maximum 3
R could be maximum 8
—>\( r^{2} + R = 9+ 8 = 17 \)

Answer (C)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [3]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
parkhydel wrote:
If x is a positive integer, r is the remainder when x is divided by 4, and R is the remainder when x is divided by 9, what is the greatest possible value of r^2 + R ?

A. 25
B. 21
C. 17
D. 13
E. 11

PS18180.02

Lets assume x to be a few different numbers - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (Considering many numbers just to clarify the concept)

When x is divided by 4

1/4 - The remainder will be 1
2/4 - The remainder will be 2
3/4 - The remainder will be 3
4/4 - The remainder will be 0 (4 is directly divisible by 4)
5/4 - The remainder will be 1
6/4 - The remainder will be 2
7/4 - The remainder will be 3
8/4 - The remainder will be 0 (8 is directly divisible by 4)
9/4 - The remainder will be 1

If we notice, the cycle keeps on repeating and we learn that the highest remainder is 3 when x si divided by 4

Similarly when X is divided by 9
1/9 - The remainder will be 1
2/9 - The remainder will be 2
The highest remainder can be
8/9 - Where the remainder can be 8 After which the remainder cycle will again start from 0

Now, to answer the question asked
r has a maximum remainder of 3 and R has a maximum remainder of 8

So r^2 + R = 3^2 + 8 = 17
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
chichdefeater69 wrote:
Don't these answers mistakenly infer that x is actually two different values? I read the question that x must be the same for both conditions, so the max value is actually 15 (for example, when x = 15, r = 3 and R = 6).

There is no single number x where r=3 and R=8.

I think the question is misleading.

Sadly... I got the same doubt and quickly took lcm of no. S and worked on no. S around it take 35 that no. Will satisfy both.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
parkhydel wrote:

A. 25
B. 21
C. 17
D. 13
E. 11

PS18180.02

Hi experts,

Bunuel chetan2u
KarishmaB

For this type of question, can we always use this logic : the greatest remainder is always divisor - 1?
In this case, can we safely assume that 4-1 and 9-1 can make the greatest of r^2 - R

or we have to always check that there is at least a possible value of x that can serve : x = 4p + 3 and x = 9q + 8.

Tanchat

"Can we always use this logic?" is a very tricky question.
Whether I can use particular logic depends on what is given to me. I can change the question a little bit and the logic I will use changes.

Here we have to maximise r^2 + R. Maximum value of r is 3 and that of R is 8 i.e. Divisor - 1. So remainder in both cases should be -1 (if you are comfortable with negative remainders).
Then the number LCM - 1 will give remainder -1 in both cases i.e. remainder 3 when divided by 4 and remainder 8 when divided by 9.
Since LCM of 4 and 9 is 36, when 36 - 1 = 35 is divided by 4, remainder is 3 and when it is divided by 9, remainder is 8.

Note that you have written r^2 - R above (which I assume is a typo).
But if this were actually given, to maximise this, we would need to maximise r (= 3) and minimise R (= 0).

Then we would need x such that division by 4 gives remainder 3 and division by 9 gives remainder 0.

x = 4a + 3
x = 9b
Here we don't have a common remainder so we will need to find such value of x with hit and trial. We find that the first such value of x would be 27.
Then maximum value of r^2 - R is 3^2 - 0 = 9.

Now think how the question changes when you obtain r when divided by 8 and R when divided by 12. What will be the maximum value of r^2 - R? Will it be 7^2 - 0? Is there a value of x that will give 7 upon division by 8 but will be divisible by 12? No because (8a + 7) is an odd number. So then can R be 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4? Think about it.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
Hi MathRevolution

Finding a dividend that gives us a remainder of 3 when divided by 4 and a remainder of 8 when divided by 9 is not difficult.

The question says, "....r is the remainder when x is divided by 4, and R is the remainder when x is divided by 9..". Therefore, doesn't the dividend 'x' have to be the same for both the divisor 4 and 9?

Hello,

It does make sense. But in peer pressure of less time, one might not able to get quickly to series of those numbers that will satisfy both conditions. So, better pay attention to 'r' and 'R' and solve it quickly.

Thanks
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31899 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
If x is a positive integer, r is the remainder when x is divided by 4, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
parkhydel wrote:

A. 25
B. 21
C. 17
D. 13
E. 11

PS18180.02

Hi experts,

Bunuel chetan2u
KarishmaB

For this type of question, can we always use this logic : the greatest remainder is always divisor - 1?
In this case, can we safely assume that 4-1 and 9-1 can make the greatest of r^2 - R

or we have to always check that there is at least a possible value of x that can serve : x = 4p + 3 and x = 9q + 8.

Hi

There is no restrictions on values of x here, that is you can take any value of x.

So, yes there will always be a number fitting in for x. Here, when you subtract 1 from LCM(4,9) and its multiples will fit in.
For example: 36-1 or 35.=> r is 3 and R is 8. Similarly 72-1 or 71
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
parkhydel wrote:

A. 25
B. 21
C. 17
D. 13
E. 11

PS18180.02

Given:
1. x is a positive integer
2. r is the remainder when x is divided by 4
3. R is the remainder when x is divided by 9

Asked: What is the greatest possible value of r^2 + R ?

2. r is the remainder when x is divided by 4
Maximum value of r = 3
3. R is the remainder when x is divided by 9
Maximum value of R = 8
Maximum value of r^2 + R = 3^2 + 8 = 9 + 8 = 17

IMO C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If x is a positive integer, r is the remainder when x is divided by 4, [#permalink]
ETA: Per below - I was wrong - thanks all!

Don't these answers mistakenly infer that x is actually two different values? I read the question that x must be the same for both conditions, so the max value is actually 15 (for example, when x = 15, r = 3 and R = 6).

Originally posted by chichdefeater69 on 30 Apr 2020, 04:37.
Last edited by chichdefeater69 on 30 Apr 2020, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hi experts,

This question is easy if we just focus on maximizing the two remainders 'r' and 'R'. However, the question implies that 'x' hast to be the same positive integer for both the divisors 4 and 9. How/why did you experts choose to completely overlook this and just focus on maximizing the remainders?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
chichdefeater69 wrote:

What about x = 35?

35 divided by 4 gives the remainder of 3.
35 divided by 9 gives the remainder of 8.

Agree.

Bunuel - for this question, do we have to test 3 and 8, or can we just assume 3 and 8 since they are the highest?

i.e. in a similar question, might we have a case where the highest possible remainders for each divisor do NOT both work for a given number and we must narrow down a pair of remainders that do work for a given number?
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
x = 4k + r
x = 9p + R

Say x = 7 divided by 4 then we get remainder as 3. [Other values of x = 5, 6 will give remainder as 1 and 2 respectively]
Say x = 17 divided by 9 then we have remainder as 8.[Other values of x from 10 to 16 will give remainder less than 8]

=> r = 3 and R = 8. Therefore, \(3^2 + 8 = 17\)

Answer C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hi MathRevolution

Finding a dividend that gives us a remainder of 3 when divided by 4 and a remainder of 8 when divided by 9 is not difficult.

The question says, "....r is the remainder when x is divided by 4, and R is the remainder when x is divided by 9..". Therefore, doesn't the dividend 'x' have to be the same for both the divisor 4 and 9?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
parkhydel wrote:

A. 25
B. 21
C. 17
D. 13
E. 11

PS18180.02

Hi experts,

Bunuel chetan2u
KarishmaB

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92904 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts