Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3941 [167]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [109]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [44]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [30]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: If x is an integer, then x(x – 1)(x – k) must be evenly divisible by [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

The rule that the product of three consecutive integers is a good start, but not the be all and end all.

Think about it this way:

number = x(x – 1)(x – k)

So far, we have integer x and one less that it (x - 1), so we could go down one more, or up one from x --

k = 2 ----> x(x – 1)(x – 2)

k = -1 ----> x(x – 1)(x + 1)

Now, we don't know which of the three factors are divisible by 3 -- x, or (x - 1), or the (x - k). If it's either of the first two, then we're golden, and k doesn't matter. But pretend that neither x nor (x - 1) is divisible by 3, then we are dependent on that last factor. Well, if (x - 2) is a multiple of three, we should be able to add or subtract three and still get a multiple of three.

(x - 2) - 3 = (x - 5)

(x - 5) - 3 = (x - 8)

(x - 2) + 3 = (x + 1), which we have already

(x + 1) + 3 = (x + 4)

(x + 3) + 3 = (x + 7)

So, for divisibility purposes, (x - 8), (x - 5), (x - 2), (x + 1), (x + 4), (x + 7) are all equivalent -- if any one of them is a multiple of three, all the others are. (You can check that the difference between any two is a multiple of 3.) BTW, if they are not divisible by three, then they all would have equal remainders if divided by three.

Back to the question:
If x is an integer, then x(x – 1)(x – k) must be evenly divisible by three when k is any of the following values EXCEPT
A)-4
B)-2
C)-1
D) 2
E) 5

All of those choices give us a term on our list except for (B) -2.

BTW, notice all the answer choices are spaced apart by three except for (B).

Does that make sense? Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Mike :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [29]
Send PM
If x is an integer, then x(x – 1)(x – k) must be evenly divisible by [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
If x is an integer, then x(x – 1)(x – k) must be evenly divisible by three when k is any of the following values EXCEPT

A. -4
B. -2
C. -1
D. 2
E. 5

We have the product of 3 integers: (x-1)x(x-k).

Note that the product of 3 integers is divisible by 3 if at least one multiple is divisible by 3. Now, to guarantee that at least one integer out of x, (x – 1), and (x – k) is divisible by 3 these numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3, meaning that one of them should have remainder of 1, another reminder of 2 and the last one remainder of 0, so be divisible by 3.

Next, if k=-2 then we'll have (x-1)x(x+2)=(x-1)x(x-1+3) --> which means that (x-1) and (x+2) will have the same remainder upon division by 3. Thus for k=-2 we won't be sure whether (x-1)x(x-k) is divisible by 3.

Answer: B.

30 second approach: 4 out of 5 values of k from answer choices must guarantee divisibility of some expression by 3. Now, these 4 values of k in answer choices must have some pattern: if we get rid of -2 then -4, -1, 2, and 5 creating arithmetic progression with common difference of 3, so -2 is clearly doesn't belong to this pattern.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If x is an integer, then x(x – 1)(x – k) must be evenly divisible by [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is my 1st post :) finally thought of jumping in instead of just being an observer :-D
I attacked this problem in a simple way. As it states it is divisible by 3
that means both x & (x-1) cannot be a multiple of 3 otherwise whatever the value of k it will be still divisible by 3
so plugging in number i chose 5 in this case you can establish answer is -2 does not fit...
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Hi bunuel,
I don't understand the problem language, it says

how does it matter whats the value of K, i can choose x = 3 and the expression will always be divisible by 3.

Am i missing any minor yet important point?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vjsharma25 wrote:
Hi bunuel,
I don't understand the problem language, it says

how does it matter whats the value of K, i can choose x = 3 and the expression will always be divisible by 3.

Am i missing any minor yet important point?

Stem says: "If x is an integer, then x(x – 1)(x – k) must be evenly divisible by three when k is any of the following values EXCEPT"

The important word in the stem is "MUST", which means that we should guarantee the divisibility by 3 no matter the value of x (for ANY integer value of x), so you cannot arbitrary pick its value.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
anilnandyala wrote:

We have the product of 3 integers: (x-1)x(x-k).

Note that the product of 3 integers is divisible by 3 if at least one multiple is divisible by 3. Now, to guarantee that at least one integer out of x, (x – 1), and (x – k) is divisible by 3 these numbers must have different remainders upon division by 3, meaning that one of them should have remainder of 1, another reminder of 2 and the last one remainder of 0, so be divisible by 3.

Next, if k=-2 then we'll have (x-1)x(x+2)=(x-1)x(x-1+3) --> which means that (x-1) and (x+2) will have the same remainder upon division by 3. Thus for k=-2 we won't be sure whether (x-1)x(x-k) is divisible by 3.

Answer: B.

30 second approach: 4 out of 5 values of k from answer choices must guarantee divisibility of some expression by 3. Now, these 4 values of k in answer choices must have some pattern: if we get rid of -2 then -4, -1, 2, and 5 creating arithmetic progression with common difference of 3, so -2 is clearly doesn't belong to this pattern.

Hope it helps.

Bunnel,
The second approach is too good...
Very helpful,...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [16]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
enigma123 wrote:

A. -4
B. -2
C. -1
D. 2
E. 5

The OA is B. I am trying to use the concept of consecutive numbers but got stuck. Can someone please help?

Question says x(x – 1)(x – k) must be evenly divisible by three which means x(x-1) (x-k) should be consecutive.

Since this is a multiple choice GMAT question, you can pick a particular value for x such that neither x, nor x-1 is divisible by 3 and start checking the answers.
In the given situation, choose for example x = 2 and check when 2 - k is not divisible by 3.
(A) 2 - (-4) = 6 NO
(B) 2 - (-2) = 4 BINGO!

Answer B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 10-20-2012
Send PM
I too solved it using a value for x =2, but I am not sure if is it better to solve using value for such questions or otherwise.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos