GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jul 2018, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 7
Schools: Haas
Re: If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 09:37
Gotcha! Thanks! I guess in this type of questions it's easiest to write out the possibilities?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Status: About to write GMAT
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 41
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 09:04
I am poor at probability. Kindly explain where I went wrong:
If multiplication of numbers is even means at least one of the two numbers is even.

let a*b = even.
a is from first set. so probability of this being even: 2/4
b is from second set. so probability of this being even: 1/3
Accompanied by (or) so I added both.

I know this is wrong but am unable to figure out where I went wrong.
Kindly suggest a method in these lines.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Status: About to write GMAT
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 41
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 09:04
I am poor at probability. Kindly explain where I went wrong:
If multiplication of numbers is even means at least one of the two numbers is even.

let a*b = even.
a is from first set. so probability of this being even: 2/4
b is from second set. so probability of this being even: 1/3
Accompanied by (or) so I added both.

I know this is wrong but am unable to figure out where I went wrong.
Kindly suggest a method in these lines.
Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Aug 2016
Posts: 68
Re: If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 11:25
The best way to solve this is to indetify that the product of being even can be obtained by the following cases:

x=E * y=O = E
x=O * y=E = E
x=E * y=E = E

The equation above might look quite silly but effectivly when I am saying x=E * y=O I mean that x is even and y is odd. As soon as you find this relationship you did the hard part of the question.

Then is all about replacing the prob/ties:
x=E * y=O in GMAT terms can be written as x=E AND y=0 means P(x=E) AND P(y=O) = 2/4 * 2/3 = 4/12 = 1/3 etc...

Correct answer D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Re: If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 12:11
After seeing these replies I understand why 2/3 is the correct answer. But I still can't figure out why my original logic resulted in an incorrect answer.
Can someone please clarify?

I reasoned: If any number in either set is even, then xy will be even.
So, probability that even number is selected from first set (2/4) + probability that even number is selected from second set (1/3) = 5/6. (2/4 +1/3=5/6)

Why does this result in the wrong probability?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Oct 2017
Posts: 70
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Re: If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 18:14
Same question as above! A little confused why that doesn't work.

chetan2u can you please shed some light on this?

Thanks!

pablogutierrez24 wrote:
After seeing these replies I understand why 2/3 is the correct answer. But I still can't figure out why my original logic resulted in an incorrect answer.
Can someone please clarify?

I reasoned: If any number in either set is even, then xy will be even.
So, probability that even number is selected from first set (2/4) + probability that even number is selected from second set (1/3) = 5/6. (2/4 +1/3=5/6)

Why does this result in the wrong probability?

_________________

Please Press +1 Kudos if it helps!

October 9th, 2017: Diagnostic Exam - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 640
November 11th, 2017: CAT 1 - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 700
November 20th, 2017: CAT 2 - GMATPrep - 700 (Q: 47, V: 40)
November 25th, 2017: CAT 3 - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 710 (Q: 48, V: 40)
November 27th, 2017: CAT 4 - GMATPrep - 720 (Q: 49, V: 40)

December 4th, 2017: GMAT Exam - 750 (Q: 48, V: 44, IR: 8, AWA: 6)

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6197
Re: If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 23:13
Hadrienlbb wrote:
Same question as above! A little confused why that doesn't work.

chetan2u can you please shed some light on this?

Thanks!

pablogutierrez24 wrote:
After seeing these replies I understand why 2/3 is the correct answer. But I still can't figure out why my original logic resulted in an incorrect answer.
Can someone please clarify?

I reasoned: If any number in either set is even, then xy will be even.
So, probability that even number is selected from first set (2/4) + probability that even number is selected from second set (1/3) = 5/6. (2/4 +1/3=5/6)

Why does this result in the wrong probability?


Hi...

What you are doing here is " finding probability of picking an even number from atleast one of the set"
Say the set B were 5,6,8 so two even
Answer as per the method above 2/4+2/3=7/6 >1!!!! Probability>1?

But we are looking for xy to be even..
This will include following cases..
1) even from A and odd number from B...
2/4 * 2/3=1/3
2) even from A and even from B
2/4 *1/3=1/6
3) odd from A and even from B
2/4*1/3=1/6

Total =1/3+1/6+1/6=2/3

Other easier way would be -
Subtract prob of odd from 1
Prob of odd .. odd from both = 2/4*2/3=1/3
So Ans=1 -1/3=2/3
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Oct 2017
Posts: 70
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Re: If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 10:35
chetan2u wrote:
Hadrienlbb wrote:
Same question as above! A little confused why that doesn't work.

chetan2u can you please shed some light on this?

Thanks!

pablogutierrez24 wrote:
After seeing these replies I understand why 2/3 is the correct answer. But I still can't figure out why my original logic resulted in an incorrect answer.
Can someone please clarify?

I reasoned: If any number in either set is even, then xy will be even.
So, probability that even number is selected from first set (2/4) + probability that even number is selected from second set (1/3) = 5/6. (2/4 +1/3=5/6)

Why does this result in the wrong probability?


Hi...

What you are doing here is " finding probability of picking an even number from atleast one of the set"
Say the set B were 5,6,8 so two even
Answer as per the method above 2/4+2/3=7/6 >1!!!! Probability>1?

But we are looking for xy to be even..
This will include following cases..
1) even from A and odd number from B...
2/4 * 2/3=1/3
2) even from A and even from B
2/4 *1/3=1/6
3) odd from A and even from B
2/4*1/3=1/6

Total =1/3+1/6+1/6=2/3

Other easier way would be -
Subtract prob of odd from 1
Prob of odd .. odd from both = 2/4*2/3=1/3
So Ans=1 -1/3=2/3


Thanks for your response!

I guess I'm still a bit confused. For example, if a question was asking:

"A fair six-sided dice is rolled twice. What is the probability of getting at least once?"

Then I understand I could calculate the probability of not getting 3 twice and subtract: \(1 - (\frac{5}{6}*\frac{5}{6}) = \frac{11}{36}\)

Nevertheless, I could still say:
1. If I get 3 on my first roll I don't care what happen on the 2nd roll = \(\frac{1}{6}*\frac{6}{6}\)
2. If I don't get 3 on the 1st roll, I need 3 on the 2nd = \(\frac{5}{6}*\frac{1}{6}\)
3. Add the two results and get \(\frac{11}{36}\)

(Similarly, if the question was asking what is the probability that the sum of 2 rolls is 7, I would do \(1*\frac{1}{6}\))

So here I went about calculating:
1. If I get even from the first set I don't care what the second set gets me = \(\frac{2}{4}*1\)
2. If I get an odd from the first set, I need an even from the second set =\(\frac{2}{4}*\frac{1}{3}\)

Now I understand this is wrong, and my first extinct would to subtract the probability of getting two odds. I just don't really understand why this is wrong lol. I'm thinking there is something about dependent / independent events I'm not completely getting...
_________________

Please Press +1 Kudos if it helps!

October 9th, 2017: Diagnostic Exam - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 640
November 11th, 2017: CAT 1 - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 700
November 20th, 2017: CAT 2 - GMATPrep - 700 (Q: 47, V: 40)
November 25th, 2017: CAT 3 - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 710 (Q: 48, V: 40)
November 27th, 2017: CAT 4 - GMATPrep - 720 (Q: 49, V: 40)

December 4th, 2017: GMAT Exam - 750 (Q: 48, V: 44, IR: 8, AWA: 6)

SC Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 1824
Premium Member CAT Tests
If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 16:50
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and y is to be chosen at random from the set {5, 6, 7}, what is the probability that xy will be even?

(A) 1/6
(B) 1/3
(C) 1/2
(D) 2/3
(E) 5/6

Hadrienlbb wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Hi...

What you are doing here is " finding probability of picking an even number from atleast one of the set"
Say the set B were 5,6,8 so two even
Answer as per the method above 2/4+2/3=7/6 >1!!!! Probability>1?

But we are looking for xy to be even..
This will include following cases..
1) even from A and odd number from B...
2/4 * 2/3=1/3
2) even from A and even from B
2/4 *1/3=1/6
3) odd from A and even from B
2/4*1/3=1/6

Total =1/3+1/6+1/6=2/3

Other easier way would be -
Subtract prob of odd from 1
Prob of odd .. odd from both = 2/4*2/3=1/3
So Ans=1 -1/3=2/3

Thanks for your response!

I guess I'm still a bit confused.
.
.
.
So here I went about calculating:
1. If I get even from the first set I don't care what the second set gets me = \(\frac{2}{4}*1\)
2. If I get an odd from the first set, I need an even from the second set =\(\frac{2}{4}*\frac{1}{3}\)

Now I understand this is wrong, and my first extinct would to subtract the probability of getting two odds. I just don't really understand why this is wrong lol. [I don't think it IS wrong.] I'm thinking there is something about dependent / independent events I'm not completely getting...


Hadrienlbb , I think the part in red is not accurate.
I am not sure where you think your mistake is, because if I finish your math, the answer is correct.

Here is the math from your steps, finished:
Quote:
1. If I get even from the first set I don't care what the second set gets me = \(\frac{2}{4}*1\)
\(= \frac{1}{2}\)

2. If I get an odd from the first set, I need an even from the second set =\(\frac{2}{4}*\frac{1}{3}\)
\(= \frac{2}{12} = \frac{1}{6}\)


Now add the results of your numbers 1 and 2:
\((\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{6}) = (\frac{3}{6} + \frac{1}{6})= (\frac{4}{6}) = \frac{2}{3}\)

You just compressed chetan2u 's first two steps, which, with the third (and your second), he adds.

Here are his first two of three steps:

1) even from A and odd number from B...
2/4 * 2/3=1/3
2) even from A and even from B
2/4 *1/3=1/6

REWRITE:

(2/4 * 2/3) + (2/4 * 1/3) =

2/4 * (2/3 + 1/3) =

2/4 * (1) -- which is exactly what you calculated.
That's the result for picking an even number from set A.

Then add the result for picking an odd number from set A (which both you and he computed identically)

\((2/4 * 1) + \frac{1}{6} =\)

\((\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{6}) = \frac{6 + 2}{12}= \frac{8}{12} =\frac{2}{3}\)

What you did here is not the same as the person you were quoting . . . (and I had to delete all that because the machine hollers when there are too many quotes within quotes).

Maybe I am missing something. Now I am the confused one, I think. :?

It seems to me you got it right.
Why do you think there is a mistake?
_________________

In the depths of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

-- Albert Camus, "Return to Tipasa"

If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2017, 16:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x is to be chosen at random from the set {1, 2, 3, 4} and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.