Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [229]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [80]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6339 [28]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [13]
Send PM
Re: If x, y and z are positive integers such that x^4*y^3 = z^2 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
caleb708 wrote:
We are told that (x^4)*(y^3)/(x^2 + y^2) can be written in the form 4k + 3, where k is a positive integer. We observe here that a fraction has been simplified to an odd number (as 4k is always even and even + odd = odd) which would imply that both the numerator and the denominator are either even or odd.

Hi Harsh,

Could you clarify this. If we take numerator 29 and denominator 4, this can be written as 4*7 + 1 (which is odd). So here, the above rule which you have used doesn't apply? Or am I missing something here?

Hi caleb708,

Please note the following points regarding your analysis:

1.\(\frac{29}{4}\) can't be simplified to 4k + 1. Only 29 can be written as 4k + 1. To help you understand better, consider the example \(\frac{33}{3} = 11\) = 4k + 3 where k = 2.

2. A fraction simplifying to an odd expression is only possible if both the numerator and the denominator are either even or odd. Consider the case of opposite even-odd nature of the numerator and the denominator, \(\frac{odd}{even}\) can never be simplified to a integer, for example \(\frac{33}{2}\). Also an \(\frac{even}{odd}\) if simplified to an integer will always yield an even integer, for example \(\frac{36}{3} = 12\).

On the other hand an \(\frac{odd}{odd}\) if simplified to an integer will always yield an odd integer. Similarly an \(\frac{even}{even}\) if simplified to an integer will yield either an even or an odd integer. Hence for a fraction to be simplified to an odd expression, both the numerator and the denominator have to be of the same even-odd nature.

Hope it's clear :)

Regards
Harsh

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 25 May 2015, 22:31.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 07 Aug 2018, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
riyazgilani wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Detailed Solution

Step-I: Given Info

We are given three positive integers \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) such that \(x^4y^3 = z^2\), and we are asked to find if \(x^9 – y^6\) is odd

Step-II: Interpreting the Question Statement

For the expression \(x^9 – y^6\) to be odd, both the expressions need to be of opposite even/odd nature i.e. one has to be odd and another has to be even (as even- odd = odd or odd-even = odd). Since the even/odd nature of \(x^9\) would have the same even/odd nature as \(x\) and even/odd nature of \(y^6\) would be the same even/odd nature as \(y\), if we can determine the similar or opposite nature of \(x\) , \(y\) we can determine the even/odd nature of \(x^9 – y^6\).

Step-III: Statement-I

We are told that \(\frac{x^4y^3}{x^2 + y^2}\) can be written in the form \(4k + 3\), where \(k\) is a positive integer. We observe here that a fraction has been simplified to an odd number (as \(4k\) is always even and even + odd = odd) which would imply that both the numerator and the denominator are either even or odd.
Hence, we can say that the product of \(x\) and \(y\) and the sum of \(x\) and \(y\) have the same even/odd nature.

This is possible only if \(x\), \(y\) are both even. Since, we have determined the similar nature of \(x\), \(y\) we can say with certainty that expression \(x^9 – y^6\) is always even.
Hence, statement-I is sufficient to answer the question.

Step-IV: Statement-II

Statement-II tells us that \(z = x + y\), we know that \(z\) is expressed as a product of \(x\) and \(y\). Since the product of \(x\), \(y\) have the same even/odd nature as that of the sum of \(x\) and \(y\), we can say with certainty that \(x\), \(y\) are both even.
Hence, statement-II is sufficient to answer the question.

Step-V: Combining Statements I & II

Since, we have a unique answer from Statement- I & II we don’t need to be combine Statements- I & II.
Hence, the correct answer is Option D

Key Takeaways

1. In even-odd questions, simplify complex expressions into simpler expressions using the properties of even-odd combinations.
2. Know the properties of Even-Odd combinations to save the time spent deriving them in the test
3. The even/odd nature of some expressions can be determined without knowing the exact even/odd nature of the variables of the expressions by using the even/odd combination property

Harley1980- Great Job!
shuvabrata88- You missed out on the analysis of St-I where even/odd nature of a fraction was to be analyzed.

Regards
Harsh

hi Harsh..! how did you work out the 2nd statement..? after reading ur solution and thinking on it, now it makes sense. But initially it was just difficlut to strike.

Hi riyazgilani,

Statement-II plays on the properties of sum and product of two even/odd numbers. Refer the below diagram wherein we assume all possible combinations of two numbers being even/odd and analyze the even/odd nature of their sum and product.

You would observe that the product and sum of two numbers have the same even/odd nature only if both are even. In the question, z is expressed as sum of x and y as well as the product of x and y. Hence, x + y and xy should have the same even/odd nature. This is only possible if x and y both are even.

Regards
Harsh
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Naman1987 wrote:
Hi Harsh, can you share an example of when x and y are both even and xy/x+y= odd.. I understand the theory but have not been able to prove it.

Hi Naman1987,

\(\frac{xy}{(x +y)}\) would be odd if \(x+y\) has the same power of 2 as in \(xy\). If the power of 2 in \(x + y\) is less then that in \(xy\), the term \(\frac{xy}{x + y}\) would be even.

Let's assume \(x = y = 6\), then \(xy = 36\) which has \(2^2\) in it. \(x + y = 12\) which also has \(2^2\) in it. So \(\frac{36}{12} = 3\) which is odd.

In statement-I we are talking about various powers of \(x\) and \(y\) in the numerator and the denominator and since power does not have any effect on the even-odd nature of a number we could conclude that product of \(x\) and \(y\) (which is in the numerator) and sum of \(x\) and \(y\)(which is in the denominator) will have the same even-odd nature.

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
We are told that (x^4)*(y^3)/(x^2 + y^2) can be written in the form 4k + 3, where k is a positive integer. We observe here that a fraction has been simplified to an odd number (as 4k is always even and even + odd = odd) which would imply that both the numerator and the denominator are either even or odd.

Hi Harsh,

Could you clarify this. If we take numerator 29 and denominator 4, this can be written as 4*7 + 1 (which is odd). So here, the above rule which you have used doesn't apply? Or am I missing something here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Harsh, can you share an example of when x and y are both even and xy/x+y= odd.. I understand the theory but have not been able to prove it.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16830 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shekharshrek wrote:
Harsh,

What I have understood so far after analyzing the question stem and taking out the inference is this I need to prove
x-y =odd ; for that both of them have to be different parity one needs to be odd and other needs to be even.

In statement 1 : xy/x+y =odd , xy can be odd for eg. 9 and x+y can also be odd i.e. 3 and result is 3 which is odd and satisfying the equation, why we have marked both of them as even ( in your solution ).
If some how they ( xy and x+y ) are even how can x and y individually are even.

Hi shekharshrek,

If the product of two numbers x and y is even that would mean that at least one of them is even. Hence the following combinations may occur:

I. x is even and y is odd- In this case xy is even and x + y is odd

II. x is odd and y is even - In this case xy is even and x + y is odd

III. x and y both are even - In this case xy is even and x + y is also even.

So, if the product and the sum of two number have the same even/odd nature, both the numbers would be even.You can also refer this post, which explains the same point.

Hope this helps :)

Regards
Harsh
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
If \(x, y\) and \(z\) are positive integers such that \(x^4y^3 = z^2\), is \(x^9 - y^6\) odd?

(1) \(\frac{x^4y^3}{(x^2 + y^2)}\) can be written in the form \(4k + 3\), where \(k\) is a positive integer

(2) \(z = x + y\)

Statement 1 gives that \(\frac{x^4y^3}{(x^2 + y^2)}\) is odd integer
Case 1) X= odd, y= odd, makes denominator \((x^2 + y^2)\) = O+O=E and numerator is odd which makes the expression Not an integer. Not possible
Case 2) X= Even, y= Even, makes denominator \((x^2 + y^2)\) = E+E=E and the numerator a multiple of two even numbers and hence even. The multiples of 2 in numerator and denominator can cancel out to make the simplified expression an odd integer. Possible. Here \(x^9 - y^6\)= E-E =E.
Case 3) one of x,y is E and other O, makes denominator \((x^2 + y^2)\) = E+O= O, the numerator is even as it is a multiple of even number, then it cant be odd. Not possible
Statement 1 is sufficient.

Statement 2 gives \(z = x + y\) and we already have \(x^4y^3 = z^2\).
Case 1) X= O, y= O, gives Z =E, and \(x^4y^3 = z^2\) gives Z=O*O=O. Not possible.
Case 2) X= E, y= E, gives Z =E, and \(x^4y^3 = z^2\) gives Z=E*E=E. Possible. Here \(x^9 - y^6\)= E-E =E.
Case 3) one of x,y is E and other O gives Z=O+E=O, and \(x^4y^3 = z^2\) gives Z=E*O=E. Not possible.
Statement 2 is sufficient.

The answer is D.

Please hit +1 Kudos if you liked the answer. :cool:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Detailed Solution

Step-I: Given Info

We are given three positive integers \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) such that \(x^4y^3 = z^2\), and we are asked to find if \(x^9 – y^6\) is odd

Step-II: Interpreting the Question Statement

For the expression \(x^9 – y^6\) to be odd, both the expressions need to be of opposite even/odd nature i.e. one has to be odd and another has to be even (as even- odd = odd or odd-even = odd). Since the even/odd nature of \(x^9\) would have the same even/odd nature as \(x\) and even/odd nature of \(y^6\) would be the same even/odd nature as \(y\), if we can determine the similar or opposite nature of \(x\) , \(y\) we can determine the even/odd nature of \(x^9 – y^6\).

Step-III: Statement-I

We are told that \(\frac{x^4y^3}{x^2 + y^2}\) can be written in the form \(4k + 3\), where \(k\) is a positive integer. We observe here that a fraction has been simplified to an odd number (as \(4k\) is always even and even + odd = odd) which would imply that both the numerator and the denominator are either even or odd.
Hence, we can say that the product of \(x\) and \(y\) and the sum of \(x\) and \(y\) have the same even/odd nature.

This is possible only if \(x\), \(y\) are both even. Since, we have determined the similar nature of \(x\), \(y\) we can say with certainty that expression \(x^9 – y^6\) is always even.
Hence, statement-I is sufficient to answer the question.

Step-IV: Statement-II

Statement-II tells us that \(z = x + y\), we know that \(z\) is expressed as a product of \(x\) and \(y\). Since the product of \(x\), \(y\) have the same even/odd nature as that of the sum of \(x\) and \(y\), we can say with certainty that \(x\), \(y\) are both even.
Hence, statement-II is sufficient to answer the question.

Step-V: Combining Statements I & II

Since, we have a unique answer from Statement- I & II we don’t need to be combine Statements- I & II.
Hence, the correct answer is Option D

Key Takeaways

1. In even-odd questions, simplify complex expressions into simpler expressions using the properties of even-odd combinations.
2. Know the properties of Even-Odd combinations to save the time spent deriving them in the test
3. The even/odd nature of some expressions can be determined without knowing the exact even/odd nature of the variables of the expressions by using the even/odd combination property

Harley1980- Great Job!
shuvabrata88- You missed out on the analysis of St-I where even/odd nature of a fraction was to be analyzed.

Regards
Harsh

hi Harsh..! how did you work out the 2nd statement..? after reading ur solution and thinking on it, now it makes sense. But initially it was just difficlut to strike.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Harsh,

What I have understood so far after analyzing the question stem and taking out the inference is this I need to prove
x-y =odd ; for that both of them have to be different parity one needs to be odd and other needs to be even.

In statement 1 : xy/x+y =odd , xy can be odd for eg. 9 and x+y can also be odd i.e. 3 and result is 3 which is odd and satisfying the equation, why we have marked both of them as even ( in your solution ).
If some how they ( xy and x+y ) are even how can x and y individually are even.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92881 posts