GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2019, 09:25
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (02:42) correct 75% (02:23) wrong based on 80 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the following COULD be true?

i) \(|x-y|=|x+y|=|y-z|\)

ii) \(x^y = y^z\)

iii) \(x^3 + y^3 = z^3\)

A) i only
B) ii only
C) iii only
D) i and ii
E) i and iii

GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Jun 2019, 12:11
given that x, y and z are three different non-negative integers so they can be any integer value =>0
i x=0,y=1,z=2
we get 1=1=1
and
\(x^y = y^z\)
we can take x=1,y=2 and z=0
sufficient
IMO D

GMATPrepNow wrote:
If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the following COULD be true?

i) \(|x-y|=|x+y|=|y-z|\)

ii) \(x^y = y^z\)

iii) \(x^3 + y^3 = z^3\)

A) i only
B) ii only
C) iii only
D) i and ii
E) i and iii

Originally posted by Archit3110 on 17 Jun 2019, 09:42.
Last edited by Archit3110 on 17 Jun 2019, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Re: If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2019, 11:19
Top Contributor
Archit3110 wrote:
given that x, y and z are three different non-negative integers so they can be any integer value =>0
IMO A is sufficient only at x=0,y=1,x=2
we get 1=1=1
IMO A

Sorry, but the answer isn't A.
Keep trying!!
VP
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Jun 2019, 12:25
i) If x>y
x-y=x+y
y=0
|x|=|x|=|-z|
As z can't be negative, it must be equal to x
Not possible under given constraints

If x<y
y-x=x+y
x=0
Hence
|-y|=|y|=|y-z|
|y|=|y-z|
There are 2 cases again
If y>z
y=y-z
z=0(not possible)

If z>y
y=z-y
z=2y(possible)

ii)\(x^y=y^z\)
Put x=1, y=2 and z=0
\((1)^2=2^0\)
1=1
Can be true

iii)
\(x^3+y^3=z^3\)
Fermat's last theorem, there are no three positive integer x,y and z satisfies \(x^n+y^n=z^n\) for n>2
If any of the number is equal to 0, then the absolute value of other 2 numbers is equal which is against out constraints.
Not Possible!!

GMATPrepNow wrote:

i) \(|x-y|=|x+y|=|y-z|\)

ii) \(x^y = y^z\)

iii) \(x^3 + y^3 = z^3\)

A) i only
B) ii only
C) iii only
D) i and ii
E) i and iii

Originally posted by nick1816 on 17 Jun 2019, 12:05.
Last edited by nick1816 on 17 Jun 2019, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Re: If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2019, 12:17
Top Contributor
GMATPrepNow wrote:

i) \(|x-y|=|x+y|=|y-z|\)

ii) \(x^y = y^z\)

iii) \(x^3 + y^3 = z^3\)

A) i only
B) ii only
C) iii only
D) i and ii
E) i and iii

I created this question to illustrate the importance of checking the answer choices each time you analyze one of the statements. Here’s why:

Once we know that statement i COULD be true (it's true when x = 0, y = 1 and z = 2), we should check the answer choices….
ELIMINATE answer choices B and C, since they incorrectly state that statement i CANNOT be true.

Once we know that statement ii COULD be true (it's true when x = 8, y = 2 and z = 6), check the remaining answer choices….
ELIMINATE answer choices A and E, since they incorrectly state that statement ii CANNOT be true.

So, by the process of elimination, we know that the correct answer is D
Best of all, we’re able to determine the correct answer WITHOUT analyzing statement iii, which is great since statement iii is VERY TRICKY.

By the way, if you had a hard time determining whether statement iii could be true, you’re not alone!
Statement iii is something mathematicians have struggled with since 1637, when a French mathematician named Pierre de Fermat (shown here)…
…suggested that the equation \(a^3 + b^3 = c^3\) cannot have a solution in which the values of a, b and c are POSITIVE integers.
In fact, Pierre de Fermat went even further to say that the equation \(a^n + b^n = c^n\) cannot have a solution in which the values of a, b and c are POSITIVE integers, for n > 2.

Unfortunately Fermat never proved his theorem. In fact, the theorem (famously known as Fermat’s Last Theorem) was found after his death. Fermat had written the theorem in the margin of one of his textbooks. In addition to the theorem, Fermat wrote that he had a marvelous proof for it, but that it was too long to fit in the margin of the book.

Since then, pretty much every mathematician has tried to prove (or disprove) Fermat’s Last Theorem, but it took until 1994 (357 years later!!!) when it was successfully proved by a mathematician named Andrew Wiles.

Cheers,
Brent
Re: If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2019, 12:17

If x, y and z are three different non-negative integers, which of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics