Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [6]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1474 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: If you only knew then what you know now... Fave GMAT Tips [#permalink]
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hello, everyone:

As I was discussing with a group of Veritas instructors yesterday in one of our instructor development sessions, there are a lot of GMAT strategies that I've learned over the years that I now wonder how I ever took the GMAT without! In discussing the curriculum for our new strategy-heavy Essentials Course, we all agreed that there are quite a few strategies that make taking the GMAT infinitely easier that we wish someone would have told us from day one.

So I thought it would be a good thread if people want to chime in with the one GMAT strategy/tip/concept that they've learned recently that they wish they had known all along. Who's with me?

Probably my personal favorite is Prime Factorization. The more I break numbers down into their primes, the more useful I find that whole thought process.

For example, on a problem like:

How many unique factors does 36 have?

Instead of trying to list them all, you can break 36 down to:

2*2*3*3

And then build up from there with combinations of those numbers:

2*2
2*3
3*3
2*2*3
2*3*3
2*2*3*3
And, of course, 1, which is a factor of all numbers. So 36 has 9 factors, and there's a systematic way to arrive at that. And using the Prime Factorization technique has taught my how to break down a lot of questions that have "factor" or "divisible" in them somewhere - it's a guiding principle that so often works.

Does anyone else have a favorite "wow, I wish I had known that all along" GMAT strategy? I'm interested to hear yours...

or you can always use \((x+1)(y+1)(z+1)....\) where x and y refer to the powers of each unique prime factor:
eg
\(36=2^2 3^2\) therefore 36 has \((2+1)(2+1)=3*3=9\) factors
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
these are really helpful. Thanks guys!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Before I took my GMAT some years back, I had looked at only some OG questions in a span of 15 days! So Brian, you can imagine that after I went through our books, there were many 'Oh, I wish I knew this strategy before' moments!

My favorite is "The most important aspect of solving most CR questions is finding the correct conclusion."
I used to read the stimulus, read the question stem and find the appropriate answer. I am sure I made some terrible mistakes in my Verbal section at that time. Now, each and every CR question makes so much sense. It's unbelievable...
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Oh, absolutely right, Karishma - I think we've talked about it but I often tell my students to do a CR drill in which they:

1) Read the question stem first
2) If it's a Strengthen/Weaken/Explain question write down the conclusion (or keywords) and stop there, moving on to the next question.
2a) Email me the conclusions that they've identified
3) Go back and finish the problems

I can predict with >90% accuracy which questions they'll get right or wrong just based on the conclusions they've identified. If they're on the conclusion, they're almost always right; if they've missed it, they almost never are.

One thing I want to add to my original strategy on here - zisis is right that there's a trick for the number of factors in a given number (using the exponents, adding one to each, and multiplying), but I definitely want to add a little caution to focusing too much on those tricks. The GMAT is pretty slick...the authors have a way of knowing which tricks have become popular (in fact, they've been known to browse these forums to see how people are doing on harder questions - hey, guys!) and then write questions that circumvent the trick. Accordingly, while it can certainly save time to know the tricks, I think it's significantly more important to know the concepts that underlie them (e.g. Prime Factorization). The Veritas Prep blog has a post on that today:

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/12/gmat-tip-of-the-week-gmat-math-the-gob-bluth-way/

Originally posted by VeritasPrepBrian on 10 Dec 2010, 10:24.
Last edited by VeritasPrepBrian on 13 Dec 2010, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
I used to completely struggle with Data Sufficiency, but after I had read the Veritas Prep DS book, I started getting 80-90% of them right. The simplest trick of them all is to read the stem, and then immediately start looking at the easier of two pieces of information, for example, if you get these two options:

1) x+y-6+2xy= 23

and

2) x=6

I used to go to 1) and analyze it. Now, I just pick the easier one to start, which in this case would be statement 2). When you are able to easily eliminate 1 of the statements, it gives you a decent confidence boost because you narrowed your choices down by 40-60%.
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Great advice, MisterEko - and not only does that boost confidence but it also helps you to get a better feel for what kinds of information you might need in the "trickier" statement. In your example, x = 6 for statement 2 may get you to recognize that statement 1 only works if x is positive or something like that. Because you're actively starting to work with the problem, you're getting your mind around how to solve it, and that can be extremely helpful.

While we're on that - here's another tip about "the easier statement":

When a statement is clearly insufficient on its own, you MUST make a decision about whether:

-You need that information to make the other statement work (you're shooting for C)

OR

-They're trying to make you think you need that statement, but the other statement actually already tells you that information (so it's A or B)

This is a strategy we call "Why Are You Here?" - you need to determine why the "weak" individual statement was provided. For example, consider the question:

How many integers x exist such that a < x < b?

1) b - a = 6

2) a and b are nonintegers

Statement 2 is clearly insufficient - it tells us nothing about x and the range of a and b is infinite. So, here, you can infer that "nonintegers" is a decision point for you - do you need to be told that a and b are nonintegers, or is that something that's embedded within statement 1 or that's just unimportant?

Because you know that you need to make this decision, you should test statement 1 with both integers and nonintegers:

Integers: 7 - 1 = 6, values of x are 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 ---> answer is 5

Nonintegers: 7.5 - 1.5 = 6, values of x are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 ---> answer is 6

Now we know that statement 1 is insufficient on its own (we got two answers) and we knew that statement 2 was no good, so the answer is C. And by using the weaker statement, statement 2, as a decision point, we could efficiently derive all of that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Great advice, MisterEko - and not only does that boost confidence but it also helps you to get a better feel for what kinds of information you might need in the "trickier" statement. In your example, x = 6 for statement 2 may get you to recognize that statement 1 only works if x is positive or something like that. Because you're actively starting to work with the problem, you're getting your mind around how to solve it, and that can be extremely helpful.

While we're on that - here's another tip about "the easier statement":

When a statement is clearly insufficient on its own, you MUST make a decision about whether:

-You need that information to make the other statement work (you're shooting for C)

OR

-They're trying to make you think you need that statement, but the other statement actually already tells you that information (so it's A or B)

This is a strategy we call "Why Are You Here?" - you need to determine why the "weak" individual statement was provided. For example, consider the question:

How many integers x exist such that a < x < b?

1) b - a = 6

2) a and b are nonintegers

Statement 2 is clearly insufficient - it tells us nothing about x and the range of a and b is infinite. So, here, you can infer that "nonintegers" is a decision point for you - do you need to be told that a and b are nonintegers, or is that something that's embedded within statement 1 or that's just unimportant?

Because you know that you need to make this decision, you should test statement 1 with both integers and nonintegers:

Integers: 7 - 1 = 6, values of x are 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 ---> answer is 5

Nonintegers: 7.5 - 1.5 = 6, values of x are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 ---> answer is 6

Now we know that statement 1 is insufficient on its own (we got two answers) and we knew that statement 2 was no good, so the answer is C. And by using the weaker statement, statement 2, as a decision point, we could efficiently derive all of that.

Isn't it nice when we discover ways to beat the GMAT with its own weapons? 8-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This keeps getting better and better. I hope more people happen to stumble in this forum like I did. Thanks guys.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V51
Send PM
I have a pretty extensive discussion of how to find all the factors of any number on my website, 790gmat. Just look for "Free Prime Factorization Problems" on the right side of the homepage. In particular, you should read page 1 and attempt questions 15 and 16.

The GMAT Guru
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mr. The Gmat Guru,

I think that your GMAT score is pretty appealing to us... I will have a look at your website. Who knows, maybe that could bring me some inspiration for d-day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
MisterEko wrote:
I used to completely struggle with Data Sufficiency, but after I had read the Veritas Prep DS book, I started getting 80-90% of them right. The simplest trick of them all is to read the stem, and then immediately start looking at the easier of two pieces of information, for example, if you get these two options:

1) x+y-6+2xy= 23

and

2) x=6

I used to go to 1) and analyze it. Now, I just pick the easier one to start, which in this case would be statement 2). When you are able to easily eliminate 1 of the statements, it gives you a decent confidence boost because you narrowed your choices down by 40-60%.

This is a great tip! I sometimes find myself bogged down on Stmt 1, taking up too much time and then making me nervous that I'm not doing something right.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V51
Send PM
MisterEko wrote:
The simplest trick of them all is to read the stem, and then immediately start looking at the easier of two pieces of information, for example, if you get these two options:

1) x+y-6+2xy= 23

and

2) x=6

What is more interesting about the example above and something that most prep companies don't tell you is that IF YOU CORRECTLY GET ONLY ONE SOLUTION TO ONE OF THE STATEMENTS, THAT SOLUTION WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE A SOLUTION TO THE OTHER STATEMENT.

For example:

What is the value of x?

1) x is a prime factor of 221
2) 2x = 34

Clearly, the second statement is easier to evaluate (sufficient..only answer is 17)

If you know this, the first statement is much easier to evaluate because you KNOW that x=17 is a solution and you can immediately divide 221 by 17 to see what other factors it may have. (17*13 = 221)

Note that knowing the answer to one statement does not tell you how many solutions the other has, so it won't tell you directly "insufficient" or "sufficient", but it gives you at least one solution to start with.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Guru...forgive me if you have already posted it but can you share your website?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V51
Send PM
spyguy wrote:
GMAT Guru...forgive me if you have already posted it but can you share your website?

Thanks.

Just google "The GMAT Guru" and my website 790gmat should come up. GMATclub won't allow new users to post urls directly, otherwise I would just post it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Thanks for all the great tips.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
thegmatguru wrote:
MisterEko wrote:
The simplest trick of them all is to read the stem, and then immediately start looking at the easier of two pieces of information, for example, if you get these two options:

1) x+y-6+2xy= 23

and

2) x=6

What is more interesting about the example above and something that most prep companies don't tell you is that IF YOU CORRECTLY GET ONLY ONE SOLUTION TO ONE OF THE STATEMENTS, THAT SOLUTION WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE A SOLUTION TO THE OTHER STATEMENT.

For example:

What is the value of x?

1) x is a prime factor of 221
2) 2x = 34

Clearly, the second statement is easier to evaluate (sufficient..only answer is 17)

If you know this, the first statement is much easier to evaluate because you KNOW that x=17 is a solution and you can immediately divide 221 by 17 to see what other factors it may have. (17*13 = 221)

Note that knowing the answer to one statement does not tell you how many solutions the other has, so it won't tell you directly "insufficient" or "sufficient", but it gives you at least one solution to start with.

Hi GMAT Guru, what is the answer for this SC question? Thanks
GMAT Club Bot