GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 00:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 08:12
I am still not convinced on answer option E. The Answer option E would be true if the 'telescopes with more light gathering capacity" are "ground based telescopes". Since the answer E does not explicitly specify the same i chose B over E.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 08:06
What happens here is that when we automatically see a weaken question we focus on just weakening the conclusion. Its important to understand the connection of why the author ended with his conclusion, in this case, the premise. The statement says: Therefore (conclusion indicator), ground based telescopes will soon become obsolete for advanced astronomical research purposes.

If you only focus on the part of "GB telescopes will soon become obsolete" and based it on the fact that its because of disorted images, then yes, you will fall for trap answer B.

But look more closely, it is saying it will become obsolete for a particular reason (it never says it will become completely obsolete) and that reason is for advanced astronomical research. So we need to look for an answer that states that the GB telescope is still needed for that research and that it has a unique quality that the space telescope does not have. And only answer E states that.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 07:02
@gmatninja my issue with OA is that even though option E suggests that space telescopes have a drawback and cannot do a certain thing, it does not cast doubt on the argument that ground telescopes might become obsolete. maybe there would be a new kind of telescope/maybe even ground telescopes suck at that thing. We dont know!
is this not a very good quality QG question?
Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 07:09
Here's the official explanation for reasoning:

The argument implicitly assumes that advanced astronomical research can be accomplished more effectively with the more
detailed, less distorted images produced by space telescopes and that therefore almost all advanced astronomical research will soon be conducted with space telescopes. This reasoning would be undermined by evidence that ground-based telescopes have substantial advantages for advanced astronomical research despite their distorted images or by evidence that space telescopes will not soon become common or affordable enough to support most advanced astronomical research.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

If you like this, click kudos.

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 18:17
could anyone please explain to me why option D is incorrect?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 10:32
Can anyone please explain for me why A is not correct? Since it seems like ground-based is much more practical than space telescope.
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 10:38
Sorry experts I just don't understand how E is the correct answer:

It just says that for more detailed studies astronomers should use telescopes with more light-gathering capacity than space telescopes can provide......... NO ONE SAYS THAT GROUND-BASED TELESCOPES CAN PROVIDE THAT CAPACITY, CHOOSING ANSWER E I HAVE TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT ASSUMPTION THAT IS NOT SPECIFIED ANYWHERE IN THE TEXT....
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 23:26
E is best choice here
As it states the most important aspect of any astronomical research and hence weaken the conclusion of obseleteness of ground based telescopes
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 11:24
But option E doesn't tell that ground based telescope will do this work, better.
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 11:04
I don't agree with option E. The argument concludes that land based telescope will soon be obsolete for one defined reason. Option E gives one drawback of satellite telescope. But it doesn't say that Land based telescope has that quality. May be it is not in either type of telescope?
Someone please explain whats wrong in my analysis?
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 22:15
rashwiniyer wrote:
I don't agree with option E. The argument concludes that land based telescope will soon be obsolete for one defined reason. Option E gives one drawback of satellite telescope. But it doesn't say that Land based telescope has that quality. May be it is not in either type of telescope?
Someone please explain whats wrong in my analysis?
Hi rashwiniyer, does this post help?
B
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2019, 08:11
AjiteshArun

GMATNinja

i have gone through your explanation regarding option e. i am still not convinced why e is correct and b is not as, as per me, both b and e weaken the argument.

the argument is precisely about two types of telescopes ie type X and type Y. The author tells us something bad(in terms of image quality) about type X and tells us something good(in terms of image quality) about type Y. The author draws a conclusion regarding type X ie that type X will become obsolete due to bad image quality. ........... Clearly the author has assumed something good about type Y ie. type Y will not become obsolete. So to weaken the assumption, we need an option that tells us something bad about the type Y telescope. Option E clearly does that.

Option B clearly indicates that Type X will not / should not become obsolete as type X's position can be adjusted(if kept on mountain summits) to get a decent image quality. Also the fact that type X, if kept on mountain summit, won't be influenced by atmospheric pressure clearly makes answer choice B an interesting one.

All in all, option B directly attacks the entire argument and option E clearly weakens the assumption. You and I both know that both 'attacking/weakening the entire argument' and 'weakening the assumption' are correct when it comes to weaken questions. how do i choose between the two??

kindly help..

I look forward to hearing from you.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 00:34
AjiteshArun THANK YOU. i am able to understand why b is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.93
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 02:36
The question is looking for reasoning that will justify that ground-based telescope will still be needed.

Choice E gives us that. Even though space-based telescope can offer better image. But there are still some functions that ground-based telescope is needed for, thus, weakening the argument that it will be obsolete.

Choice B does mentioned that the flaw of ground-based telescope can be avoid. However, there is still possibility that space-based can do the same job better and ground-based telescope will still be obsolete at one point.
I think that’s why choice B is not the best choice.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 01:09
Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Earth's atmosphere. Orbiting space telescopes, however, operating above Earth's atmosphere, should provide superbly detailed images. Therefore, ground-based telescopes will soon become obsolete for advanced astronomical research purposes.

Which of the following statements, if true, would cast the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

Pre-Thinking: An assumption made is that since ground based telescopes face interference coming from the atmosphere they won't be any better at advanced astronomical research. So Any information saying that ground based telescopes are good for some advanced research and that they are better than orbiting telescopes will be our answer.

(A) An orbiting space telescope due to be launched this year is far behind schedule and over budget, whereas the largest ground-based telescope was both within budget and on schedule.
Our concern is to prove the ability of GB telescopes in research and so we are not concerned with costs. Since there is no impact on the argument this answer choice is incorrect

B) Ground-based telescopes located on mountain summits are not subject to the kinds of atmospheric distortion which, at low altitudes, make stars appear to twinkle.
Since we don't know whether they are still subject to a little interference or not and we don't know whether in this case GBT are better than OBT this choice has no impact on the conclusion. Hence incorret

(C) By careful choice of observatory location, it is possible for large-aperture telescopes to avoid most of the kind of wind turbulence that can distort image quality.
Here the focus is on most which leaves scope for some interference. Plus we don't know whether GBT are also large-aperture telescopes and still we don't know whether they are better than OBT. Hence incorrect

(D) When large-aperture telescopes are located at high altitudes near the equator, they permit the best Earth-based observations of the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, a prime target of astronomical research.
Same reasoning for choice C. Are all GBT large-aperture telescopes? Probably not or so. Hence this choice has no impact on the conclusion

(E) Detailed spectral analyses, upon which astronomers rely for determining the chemical composition and evolutionary history of stars, require telescopes with more light-gathering capacity than space telescopes can provide.
This choice talks about advanced astronomical research. It says that OST can't serve the purpose. This is our correct choice
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 23:10
Hi GMATNinja could help clear my small doubt?

The premise does not state that the ground-based telescopes are telescopes with more light-gathering capacity.
Although, option E states that space telescopes might not be reliable but how can this cast a doubt on the obsolescence of the ground-based telescope?
There might be other telescopes with light-gathering capacity which are not ground based....

Thank you,
Dablu
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 01:01
DmitryFarber Thank you for replying. :)
Quote:
so it's premature to say that ground-based telescopes are obsolete without further information.

Definitely helped!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2019, 01:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics