Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
menehn wrote:
Me too, I received the email confirmation from IMD last friday (April 1st)

My heart was beating fast today when I saw +41...on my phone though i knew that it was too early....;) Finally it came from my Swiss colleague! As I'm now working on some projects in Switzerland, i might have heart attack during coming weeks...

at least you will practice your reaction )))
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Send PM
Crezence wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm one of the current batch of MBA students in IMD. If you guys have questions about life in school or the application process... am more than willing to help.

Hey Crezence! Thank you for offering your help. I, and I believe other participants of this thread really appreciate your coming back here to give your feedback and answers. These are my questions:

• Quality of education and faculty. How good are they? Are they excellent or just good. All of them? Most of them? Some of them?
    I loved the sample lectures I found on youtube, and they were one of the major reasons for my choice of the MBA program. But these are just samples, how is it in real life?

• Budget: on the IMD website they say the following:

CHF 60,000 - tuition
    CHF 25,000 - all program and project related fees, including books and course materials, the discovery expedition and weekday on-campus lunches, excluding personal expenses.
    (fees may be subject to adjustments)

It just makes me wonder, whether an expedition or two plus the books plus lunches may cost that much! And that's excluding personal expenses.

• Budget again: Personal living expenses - what a family (2 people) budget should be in Lausanne for a year? On the web-site they say 36,000 CHF for a single person. I just wonder if it should be x2 or x1.5 for two. I'm thinking of not too moderate life, maybe dining in cafes twice a week, going on a trip to Milan once a month, etc.

• Employability of non-EU students: How good or bad are the prospects of non-EU students? Is it hard to get a job outside of Switzerland? Is it hard to get a job in Switzerland? Is it hard to obtain a work permit in practice?
    How about languages, is English and mediocre French or German would be enough to secure a job in Switzerland?

• First salary: the published salary figures are around 110-120K USD. Is that more or less true for the just-out-of-school student?

• ICP Project: was it interesting? was it helpful? was it worth it?

• What's your opinion: If I'm offered an Associate Consultant position with the Big4 consulting houses, and that's what I'd aim for as my first job after IMD, is the education at IMD still worth it?
    I know it's all quite subjective, still I'd like to know your opinion. I wonder if the education per se outweighs the role of consultant for the same period of time. My feeling that the job may be just as good for obtaining skills and experience.

It may be too early for me to ask, since I'm not even invited for the interview yet, and, due to the influx of candidates of my own nationality I face real strong competition. However it might be interesting to those who were admitted.
Current Student
Send PM
For candidates and admits:

I found this thread at businessweek forum https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=111&nav=messages&webtag=bw-bschools&tid=78897

There are a couple of users - birdy76 and Constantza that give really valuable tips on both admission and studies. Hope you will find it useful!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
25340 wrote:
menehn wrote:
Me too, I received the email confirmation from IMD last friday (April 1st)

My heart was beating fast today when I saw +41...on my phone though i knew that it was too early....;) Finally it came from my Swiss colleague! As I'm now working on some projects in Switzerland, i might have heart attack during coming weeks...

at least you will practice your reaction )))

:lol: You are right :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ligett wrote:
For candidates and admits:

I found this thread at businessweek forum https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=111&nav=messages&webtag=bw-bschools&tid=78897

There are a couple of users - birdy76 and Constantza that give really valuable tips on both admission and studies. Hope you will find it useful!

Thank you for the link. Helpful information keeps our patience during this period ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
I am another applicant for IMD R2. Now the long wait starts :|

Great to find this thread. Will have more questions about the program as time passes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anapplicant wrote:
I am another applicant for IMD R2. Now the long wait starts :|

Great to find this thread. Will have more questions about the program as time passes.

nice to meet you!
can you share your profile?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Nice to meet you too 25340. I still have a hangover from the marathon effort of writing all the IMD essays. Congratulations to all the successful candidates and all the best to the R2 applicants.

I come from a very typical applicant pool. M/29/Indian/8 yrs exp in IT R&D, marketing and Social entrepreneurship/GMAT 750/Worked in India, Germany, USA and China.
Intern
Intern
Schools:IMD, Insead, HEC, IE
 Q47  V35
WE 1: 8 years
Send PM
Count me in.. another R2 applicant.
Well now the long wait starts for me too.

anapplicant: well said.. marathon indeed..!! whoosh..!
Current Student
Send PM
Hey folks

While you're waiting for you calls or maybe packing your stuff, let me ask you this:

In Economist's summary of IMD (https://www.economist.com/whichmba/2010/imd) they say something like that:

Criteria .............................................................Rank (out of 100)
Open new career opportunities..................................10

What does that mean - 10 out of 100? Cannot believe it...

And there is a lot of similar numbers:
Student assessment of careers service = 2
Student quality = 18
Increase in salary = 7
etc

Do you know how to read these numbers?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ligett wrote:
Hey folks

While you're waiting for you calls or maybe packing your stuff, let me ask you this:

In Economist's summary of IMD (https://www.economist.com/whichmba/2010/imd) they say something like that:

Criteria .............................................................Rank (out of 100)
Open new career opportunities..................................10

What does that mean - 10 out of 100? Cannot believe it...

And there is a lot of similar numbers:
Student assessment of careers service = 2
Student quality = 18
Increase in salary = 7
etc

Do you know how to read these numbers?

It is the place of IMD among top 100 business schools according to selected criteria.
Not a bad place :)
Current Student
Send PM
skitalac wrote:
It is the place of IMD among top 100 business schools according to selected criteria.
Not a bad place :)

Got it, sounds much better now!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If we thought IMD's character restrictions were something, read this about Stanford who will not be accepting MBA applications via Twitter - https://bit.ly/eOJslO
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
batman9999: you should check the date of the article ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tohin wrote:
batman9999: you should check the date of the article ;)

Good one huh?? :)

On another note, does anyone else think that IMD taking a month and half to review applications is way too long?? I mean May 13th is light years away.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Quality of education and faculty. How good are they? Are they excellent or just good. All of them? Most of them? Some of them?
I loved the sample lectures I found on youtube, and they were one of the major reasons for my choice of the MBA program. But these are just samples, how is it in real life?

As with any top business schools there are going to be stars and superstars. But generally the majority of the faculty here are excellent, and my personal opinion is that there is a much stronger opportunity to learn from them out of class.

If you come over to Lausanne for the interview you'll get to sit in for a class. We're just starting the 2nd block of classes (exams ended today) so I can't say exactly what they'll be like, but so far its really a case of what you see is what you get... we've had classes which seemed deja vu given we've seen that lecture on youtube. But to answer you again... its really what you've seen on youtube, and even better sometimes!

On a sidenote, I think the peer learning here is probably underrated; easily 50% of what i've learnt so far has come from my classmates

Budget: on the IMD website they say the following:

CHF 60,000 - tuition
CHF 25,000 - all program and project related fees, including books and course materials, the discovery expedition and weekday on-campus lunches, excluding personal expenses.
(fees may be subject to adjustments)

It just makes me wonder, whether an expedition or two plus the books plus lunches may cost that much! And that's excluding personal expenses.

I haven't exactly calculated the cost for every individual item, and also not to spoil the surprise for the class of 2012, but I think what we're getting for the 25k is a really good deal. I can say one thing about the lunches thou... they're AWESOME! If you get a chance to visit and join us for lunch, you'll see what I mean.

Budget again: Personal living expenses - what a family (2 people) budget should be in Lausanne for a year? On the web-site they say 36,000 CHF for a single person. I just wonder if it should be x2 or x1.5 for two. I'm thinking of not too moderate life, maybe dining in cafes twice a week, going on a trip to Milan once a month, etc.

Hard for me to answer since I came by myself, but so far my personal expenses look to be less than the 36k. I think a big part will end up going to your apartment because you'd probably want a slightly bigger place for the family.

[b]Employability of non-EU students[/b]: How good or bad are the prospects of non-EU students? Is it hard to get a job outside of Switzerland? Is it hard to get a job in Switzerland? Is it hard to obtain a work permit in practice?
How about languages, is English and mediocre French or German would be enough to secure a job in Switzerland?

Recruitment hasn't started yet so I can't really answer. Personally I'm a non-EU citizen myself but I don't foresee alot of difficulty in obtaining a work permit. That aside I'm looking to move back to Asia post-MBA anyway.

From what we've seen from the alumni, its not too hard to secure a job offer; of course that depends on what you're looking to do when you graduate. Career services will have loads to say to you during the course of the year on strategies for the job search, and they'll be especially useful if you're looking to stay in Switzerland or EU in general.

First salary: the published salary figures are around 110-120K USD. Is that more or less true for the just-out-of-school student?

At last check for the last class it was slightly higher than this, maybe in the region of 125k, but this was in January before all the numbers had come back, so I'd say its more or less accurate, maybe with a tolerance of about 10%?

ICP Project: was it interesting? was it helpful? was it worth it?

Preparation starts in June for us, and we'll go on site when we return from the Discovery Expedition in August. Can't really answer this one as we haven't started it yet, but its one of the most eagerly anticipated projects of the year.

We are in the midst of our start-up projects, where we work with various start ups. The idea of this to provide clearly added value to the companies (different companies have different requirements), and honestly this project is extremely interesting! (one of the startups is run by one of our classmates focusing on social work in Mongolia). It also ties in what we learn in the course of the first few months with practical hands on work.

What's your opinion: If I'm offered an Associate Consultant position with the Big4 consulting houses, and that's what I'd aim for as my first job after IMD, is the education at IMD still worth it?
I know it's all quite subjective, still I'd like to know your opinion. I wonder if the education per se outweighs the role of consultant for the same period of time. My feeling that the job may be just as good for obtaining skills and experience.

Strange you should ask, I had a friend who was in that exact same position. Well not exactly as the offer was for a more senior position. But to give you the short answer, he's now my classmate and neighbor. I know IMD spoke to him at length to explain why coming to IMD to do the MBA was more worth it than taking the job.

I think part of it is due to the formal training an MBA gives you, but also as an MBA grad, you do enter at a more senior level as a consultant and not just an assoc. consultant. If you like I can try to put you in touch with him, drop me a PM or something with your details.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
IMD2012T wrote:
I got the call this morning. Just one week after the interview. I am extremely happy !

Got a seat as well. I was interviewed on March, 28 and got the call on April, 7 ... I'm very likely to accept the offer! (got admitted from Oxford, Cambridge and Insead as well)

Here is my profile:
Italian / Engineer / 32 / 7 yrs of work experience at a major O&G company / GMAT 700

Let me know if you have any question regarding the interview experience ... I definitely think you can prepare for it (also for the impromptu presentation!)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts