Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Impact of toefl on application and Cancellation query [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ZenYogi wrote:
None of the schools that I plan to apply to have TOEFL as a requirement if the medium of instruction of undergrads was English, but I had still been planning to take the test just to be safe, as I am an international candidate from India.
My first question is if I take the test and score poorly, will that harm my candidature more than if I don't take at all?
My second question is that can one cancel the score after knowing the full toefl score?

Hey,

I think if the schools are not asking for TOEFL Score and you have a poor score, you should not report it to them.

I think you have the option of cancelling your exam at the moment you are done with your it.

Post exam completion and score generation, you cannot cancel the score.

Solution to your problem: You can always retake another one and report the updated score to your schools.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Impact of toefl on application and Cancellation query [#permalink]
I think this is like the chicken and egg problem. I wouldn't know if I have a good score or bad score until I take the test, and if I do then my scores get automatically reported.

I could potentially do a retake, but then again there is no guarantee that I'd score well and I'd be back to square one.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
ZenYogi wrote:
I think this is like the chicken and egg problem. I wouldn't know if I have a good score or bad score until I take the test, and if I do then my scores get automatically reported.

I could potentially do a retake, but then again there is no guarantee that I'd score well and I'd be back to square one.

I agree. But you can always prepare well and practice alot before giving another try. Your practice tests could help you determine your current level.

Once you are anywhere near to your target score, you can book your exam and get a good score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do you think its somehow better to not use the option of sending the scores to 4 schools for free, and then send them later once you know the scores for charge?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
ZenYogi wrote:
Do you think its somehow better to not use the option of sending the scores to 4 schools for free, and then send them later once you know the scores for charge?

If you are not confident enough, I will prefer doing so. This way you will be on a safer side. :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32859 [0]
Given Kudos: 4452
Send PM
Top Contributor
Hi,

as for the replies before, they are correct.

1) You can delete your score after you get it https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/scores/scoring/ Here you have all the necessary info about.

2) If the school does not require the score why you have to take ??? However, in my opinion a good TOEFL score is always a strong point for your candidacy. I would suggest having in your CV. Schools or not, or for a job .........it will never hurt you, at the very least it is neutral. In general, it is good to have, regardless.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
My two cents here:

Do the TOEFL and check your score. If you get above 100-105 points than you report them to your schools, otherwise you can cancel your test.
If you get, for example, 107 points (which is a great score in my opinion) I believe that it will help you in your applications. So I believe it worth trying to get this score in the test.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Hi,

as for the replies before, they are correct.

1) You can delete your score after you get it https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/scores/scoring/ Here you have all the necessary info about.

2) If the school does not require the score why you have to take ??? However, in my opinion a good TOEFL score is always a strong point for your candidacy. I would suggest having in your CV. Schools or not, or for a job .........it will never hurt you, at the very least it is neutral. In general, it is good to have, regardless.

Hi Carcass,

First of all, thanks for replying to the post.

Second, I did not find the part on "deleting" per se, but the site does say - "If you cancel your scores, they will not be reported to you or any institutions."
From what I understand, if I cancel my score at the end of the test (which is the point when I don't know my scores), I'll never get to know my score (so cannot take an informed decision).

I agree that having a good score will boost my candidacy and that's why I want to take the test.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BrunoP wrote:
My two cents here:

Do the TOEFL and check your score. If you get above 100-105 points than you report them to your schools, otherwise you can cancel your test.
If you get, for example, 107 points (which is a great score in my opinion) I believe that it will help you in your applications. So I believe it worth trying to get this score in the test.

Yeah, I do agree that it would be a less risky thing to do but definitely be more expensive, since I'll have to pay for each school that I want to send the score to.

Again, are you sure that it is possible to know your score and then cancel them? Because from what I understand, TOEFL differs from GMAT in this regard. Else, this would have been just perfect.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BrunoP wrote:
ZenYogi wrote:
BrunoP wrote:
My two cents here:

Yeah, I do agree that it would be a less risky thing to do but definitely be more expensive, since I'll have to pay for each school that I want to send the score to.

Again, are you sure that it is possible to know your score and then cancel them? Because from what I understand, TOEFL differs from GMAT in this regard. Else, this would have been just perfect.

It will cost you more but you can do the test, receive your score and them send to the schools.
If the score is bad, you just do not send to them (if I am not wrong, they cannot check your score unless you send it to them. So no matter what happens, if you receive a bad score, just keep it to yourself and do another test).

I did this. My first score was 99 (and I needed 100).
I asked to review my score and they didn't increase any points.
Than I did a second test, got 102 and send to the schools. They know only about the 102, not about the 99.

Thanks, this really helps. Also, from your post I'm assuming that unlike gmat where all the scores from previous tests are included in the report, on the toefl only score from one test is included per report. Can you please confirm this assumption?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi. I took my TOEFL a few days back and the reports will come probably in ten days from the date of test. In the meantime, I decided to apply to a school whose deadline is a few days earlier than the day on which TOEFL scores are expected. What happens now? Is there a way out here? Thanks a lot.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4379 posts