GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Important Posts from Booth(Chicago) Class of 2016 Discussion

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Important Posts from Booth(Chicago) Class of 2016 Discussion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 21:12

GMAT Club’s Best of the Best
Collection of Important Posts from Booth (Chicago) Class of 2016 MBA Applicants’ discussion.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

GMAT Club’s MBA Resources
All MBA Rankings
All MBA Deadlines
All School Stats
Live Chats with Adcoms of leading B-Schools
Application Experiences of Applicants
MBA Admission Consultant Reviews – 2015
2015 MBA Applicants’ Profiles
MBA Applicant Blogs
Current Student Blogs

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Booth (Chicago) Class of 2016: GMAT Club Application Stats

“On campus and off campus interviews are evaluated equally. The main argument for doing an on-campus interview is that the 2nd years on-campus have likely given dozens of interviews and have a "normalized" perception of you, because they have enough to compare you to. Additionally, those 2nd years go through extensive training on how to evaluate candidates. Some people fear that alums can be too risky, because an alum may only interview one or two candidates, and that may result in a skewed evaluation.

All of that said, my opinion is that at the end of the day, you can have a bad connection with an alum, but similarly you can have a bad connection with a 2nd year on campus. You really don't have control over anything except how prepared you are and how well you conduct yourself in the interview. When thinking about all of these statistics/stereotypes/arguments, you have to remember that at the end of the day, you are only one person in the sample size and anything can happen. You can try to (over)analyze but you really cannot do anything to force a connection with an interviewer. So do your best to resist overanalyzing and interview wherever is convenient and most comfortable for you.
- Top10MBACandidate, GMAT Club member and Booth Class of 2015 Student

Applicant | Application Essays
Essay questions are out http://www.chicagobooth.edu/programs/fu ... -questions

Short Answer Essays
Please respond to the following two essay prompts:
a. My favorite part of my work is... (250 words maximum)
b. I started to think differently when... (250 words maximum)

Presentation/Essay
The Chicago experience will take you deeper into issues, force you to challenge assumptions, and broaden your perspective. In a four-slide presentation or an essay of no more than 600 words, broaden our perspective about who you are. Understanding what we currently know about you from the rest of the application, what else would you like us to know?

Presentation/Essay Guidelines
We have set forth the following guidelines:
  • The content is completely up to you. There is no right, or even preferred, approach to this essay. Feel free to use the software with which you are most comfortable. Acceptable formats for upload in the online application system are PowerPoint, Word, or PDF. However, we suggest converting your file to a PDF to preserve your intended formatting.
  • There is a strict maximum of four pages (presentation) or 600 words (essay), though you can provide fewer if you choose. All content must fit within four pages (presentation) or 600 words (essay).
  • The file size is limited to 16 MB.
  • The document will be viewed electronically, but we cannot support embedded videos, music, hyperlinks, or motion images.
  • The file will be evaluated on the quality of content and ability to convey your ideas, not on technical expertise.

Reapplicant Question: Upon reflection, how has your perspective regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since the time of your last application? (300 words maximum)
- domotron

Admission Consultant | Essays
randomwalk wrote:
What do you guys think the content of the 3rd Essay should be this year in comparison to last years'? Given that we have only 2 essays & 500 words to work with in trying to explain the overarching experiences and content that we think Booth should hear about us. I think traditionally people (including me) used the powerpoint slide question to give a life story/overview.

Good question, randomwalk (great username btw).

Traditionally the Booth PowerPoint has been a great way to present the life story stuff as you've stated, and that's what many have done and seen success. And we don't really see how things need to change this time. Last year there was also just the two short-answer prompts - they were in fact even shorter, at just 200 words each. The main difference of course is there was also a standard career goals question, which is not there this time. We're gonna be talking about that on the blahg tomorrow.

What we invite you to do with this set of Booth prompts is look at the school. They've changed their tactics, but the prompt for the Booth presentation is actually the same as what they had last year. Has the school changed from last year? Or is it the same awesome place with the same great offering - and the same culture, and value prop, and people, and values?

If the answer to that question is no, that the school is indeed the same, and if this open-ended question that they're asking is the same, then we think it's a fine strategy to proceed with what's worked in the past - and a presentation of a life story is one example of that. Certainly not the only way to go, but we can green-light that idea as one that can work.

As always, it all comes down to the execution, and we're talking in hypotheticals and concepts here - not everyone's "life story" (in terms of how they construct it in a PPT) is created equal. YMMV and all that. But conceptually, sure, we don't see no problem with that - as one possible choice among many. - essaysnark

And here it is - from Booth Insider's chat View Complete Booth Insider Chat Transcript Here

Quote:
Lei: Hello! Thank you for making time for us. My question is, seems like that this year the short term/long term career goal essay went away, is that for real? If yes, is this career goal thing supposed to be addressed through the presentation/600 words essay?
Carrie (Adcom): Great question! We did eliminate the essay question that focused on career goals, but that information will still be captured in the application. When filling out your professional experience, we have a space for you to tell us about your post-MBA goals (in a short-answer format). Our application will be live in the coming days, so stay tuned for more information!

And wait, there's more!

Quote:
randomboy: Thank you for organizing the chat. Would love to know why Booth removed career essay question this year (I'm aware that a version might be present in the main application)
Carrie (Adcom): We took a look at our entire application and tried to eliminate any redundant information. We found that we collected that information in many ways throughout the application process, making the career essay a bit repetitive. We certainly value this information, but wanted to make the application as streamlined as possible for applicants.
- essaysnark

Admission Consultant | Application
jumsumtak wrote:
Need some advice on the ppt.
The guidelines mention : "The document will be viewed electronically, but we cannot support embedded videos, music, hyperlinks, or motion images"

Don't quite understand the italicized part. I get the fact that we are not allowed to put in gifs etc. I wanted to know whether it is okay to use animation? Is anyone using it in their ppt?

jumsumtak, never heard the adcom speak directly to this but they recommend converting to PDF so that implies the answer is no to animation. We've also never worked with anyone who included PPT transitions or effects so can't be sure. Filesize can only be 16MB, don't those features tend to bloat the PPT anyway? The content is much more important than the presentation; you want it to look nice but it doesn't need bells and whistles to make a good impression. - essaysnark

Applicant | Application
I believe the entire application, including the PPT, is combined in to a single PDF document when you submit it. So animations would probably not work. Think of the powerpoint slides as really 4 blank pages to use for the adcom. The school just chose powerpoint for convenience. It was never intended to use powerpoint tools to convey your message, just the blank slides. - ak2012

amitkpandey wrote:
I am facing a dilemma here. The application does not specifically ask the question, "Why Booth"? Any advice on where to highlight this aspect..!! I am thinking of including some info in the career goals..but 700 characters is just so much..

You're right, the fields in the online app don't allow for a whole lot, and that's probably not the best place to put this - you can include something about your reasons but there's certainly other places in the Booth app where we would imagine that this could come through.

Applicant | Interview Invite
Hey everyone, I know that this waiting is AGONY, but remember:

"It’s important to note that the order of how we will release decisions from Monday through Friday is random and not indicative of your admissions decision, geography or initial application date."

They posted that on their admissions blog, so try not to get too worked up over each day... We have NO idea how they're releasing interview invitations. - @Mustang2012

Admission Consultant | Admission Tips
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
creatingit wrote:
Does anyone have stats on what percentage of admits come from R1 vs R2 at Booth? I'm pressed for time to make the R1 deadline since I need to retake my GMAT

Not sure about the percentage breakdown, but if you're pressed for time and cannot complete your best application in time for R1, you should do R2. Submitting a better application in R2 is better than submitting a sub-par application in R1.
Yes... And... Round 1 is always better, PARTICULARLY if someone is in the oversubscribed applicant pools. MBAUnderDOG speaks truth, a stronger app in a later round is preferable... but a stronger app in Round 1 is ALWAYS the best bet. It's a day shy of August, technically there's still time to do it all (maybe just barely, but there is!).

Not to put more pressure on or anything. :-)

And all that being said: Booth is a program where a Round 2 app can still work out. But we don't want to let everyone off the hook and say that the rounds are equivalent, since they're not - and lots of people procrastinate all the way till the last minute and then life gets ugly in December. Our best advice is, do what you can to make it happen now, for R1, and if you just can't pull it off, then make the judgment call later - like end of September - whether to push out. - essaysnark

Applicant | Admission Stats
Data -
1. 2012 acceptance rate 21%
2. 2012 Booth yield is ~62.5%.
3. Booth class size is ~550-600

~850-1000 Accepted students
~5200 applications

~45% class accepted round 1
~35% total applications round 1

Summary for Round 1
~1800 applicants
~850 interview invites
~450 offers for matriculation
~280 students accept and matriculate to Booth - aalba005

Applicant | School Visit
Ward2012 wrote:
Anyone going to Booth Live tomorrow? Mind sharing your experience at Booth? It could really help applicants of R2.

The event kicked off with breakfast and I had a chance to chat with prospective applicants. I was surprised by the amount of people (out of what looked like almost 120 applicants) that flew in from oversees. About 30 of us were already round 1 applicants with about 70 whom were prospective round 2 applicants.

The assistant dean gave a speech and we had an opportunity to meet most of the admissions team. There was an emphasis on the different strengths Booth has outside of finance, especially in marketing and entrepreneurship.

There was a 5 person student panel where we were able to ask questions to the panel. Diverse panel of 2nd years. 1 was heading to Mckinsey, 1 was heading to a tech start up, 1 was heading to an Oil and Gas Investment Banking in Houston.

We then got a tour of the facilities (I have visited 12 top 20 schools and would place the Booth campus in the top 3). My tour guide was a 2nd year Boothie. He is an entrepreneur and will be heading to BCG full time next year.

Professor Dhar from the marketing department then worked with us on a case for 45 minutes. He did a good job driving the case and guiding the applicants.

After the case was done, the head of the Polsky Center, Mrs. Starr, gave us a presentation. This was the highlight of the live event for me. I am interested in entrepreneurship and her presentation gave me further insights on how I can bring my ideas to a viable product while at Booth.

We then had a closing Q&A with the admissions team. After the Q&A was done we were able to participate in a happy hour event with current Booth students.

Major takeaways for me were
1. Down to earth student body
2. Solid Entrepreneurship skill building opportunities (was a major worry for me prior to the event, now I would say its a top 3 school in this area for me).
3. Active Alumni around the Chicago area
4. Solid Global presence and lots of opportunities to go on career treks around the U.S and around the globe.
5. Many opportunities to tap into the great University of Chicago community for collaboration

Good luck! I am really hoping for good news come Nov 1st :) - aalba005

Applicant | School Visit
aalba005 wrote:

aalba005, which other campuses ranked in your top 3? would be interesting to hear your rationale.

My other 2 campuses ranked in top 3 are HBS and Stanford. MIT is a close 4th.

My personal criteria for ranking a business school campus are
- Aesthetics of Facilities
- Look and feel of classrooms
- Look and feel of Study Areas
- Look and feel of Common Areas
- Practicality of Campus Location and offerings
- Where do students tend to live in relation to campus
- What are food options while on campus (assuming many days I will be spending 12+ hours on campus. Options can be in the campus or close to campus)
- Is the campus located in a city that will add significant value to my future professional goals while I am enrolled in the program (tech startups, startup accelerators, mentorship programs)
- Is the campus located in a city that will add significant value to my extra curricular activities and hobbies while I am enrolled in the program (design, coding, cycling, volleyball)

Booth has great looking functional class rooms and ample quite space available for study or group meetings.
Booth has the second largest private art collection in Chicago outside of the art institute. The art makes the common areas quite pleasing.
Almost 70% of the Booth student body lives within a 3-4 block radius in downtown Chicago. This allows for easy collaboration and building close relationships while at Booth (I consider this as part of facilities, some schools, such as HBS and Stanford, have most of the students live on campus. I consider this as a big plus)
Booth students have access to the Gleacher center downtown for more study space or space for team meetings.
Booth is located in Chicago.
Booth is segmented from the undergraduate population. - aalba005

Applicant | Interview Invite
Update on how the interview invites will be released from the Booth Insider blog
http://blogs.chicagobooth.edu/blog/Boot ... ?nav=entry
Quote:
Interview Invitations Coming Soon

So far in Round One, we continue to be impressed by the talented candidates who apply to Chicago Booth. As we speak, we are in the process of reviewing your applications and preparing to release interview invitations. We hope you are as eager to meet us as we are to meet you!

Starting on Monday, October 28, and continuing daily until Friday, November 1, we will begin to gradually release admissions interview decisions to Round One applicants. You can expect to receive an email letting you know that there is an update to your application status sometime that week. The message will prompt you to log into the online application system to see whether or not you have been invited to interview. Those invited will receive all pertinent information related to setting up and preparing for interviews. It’s important to note that the order of how we will release decisions from Monday through Friday is random and not indicative of your admissions decision, geography or initial application date.

When setting up your interview, you will have the opportunity to choose a time slot and location that works best for you from among a list of options:

1) on campus with a second-year Admissions Fellow
2) off campus at one of our interview locations (London, Shanghai, and Sao Paulo) by an alumnus or Admissions staff member
3) with a local alumnus/alumna in your city in the event you cannot travel to a Booth location

Stay tuned to this Insider blog for more about interview location options, interview tips, and what the committee will be looking for from your interview.

Best wishes!
Amy
- domotron

Applicant | Interview Debrief
Interview with alum this AM. Really straightforward. She gave 60 seconds about herself and said the interview would be 30 minutes with 10 minutes at the end for questions. I went over my resume, why MBA, why Booth and then answered two "give me an example of a time..." questions. Those 20 minutes went really fast though. I thought I answered articulately but that there was still more I wanted to cover. Oh well. Obviously, everyone's experience will differ based on alum but just wanted to share mine. - blaircw429

Current Student | Interview Prep
I am simply restating arguments that have been made in the past:
On campus and off campus interviews are evaluated equally. The main argument for doing an on-campus interview is that the 2nd years on-campus have likely given dozens of interviews and have a "normalized" perception of you, because they have enough to compare you to. Additionally, those 2nd years go through extensive training on how to evaluate candidates. Some people fear that alums can be too risky, because an alum may only interview one or two candidates, and that may result in a skewed evaluation.

All of that said, my opinion is that at the end of the day, you can have a bad connection with an alum, but similarly you can have a bad connection with a 2nd year on campus. You really don't have control over anything except how prepared you are and how well you conduct yourself in the interview. When thinking about all of these statistics/stereotypes/arguments, you have to remember that at the end of the day, you are only one person in the sample size and anything can happen. You can try to (over)analyze but you really cannot do anything to force a connection with an interviewer. So do your best to resist overanalyzing and interview wherever is convenient and most comfortable for you.

As far as interviewing goes, Booth is not out to trick you during your interviews. The questions asked are very standard and it is a very comfortable interviewing process. Prepare well, and it will go smoothly.

Also to address the GMAT 'Awaiting' questions, I've said it before and I'll say it again, mine said 'Awaiting' until Booth conducted the employment verification in August (yes, just a couple weeks before orientation). So please, do not worry about that red X, it is meaningless. As long as you submitted your official scores to Booth, you are fine. - Top10MBACandidate

Had interview offsite with an alum yesterday over coffee. Really conversational. 35-40 minutes interview, 10 minute questions.

Why MBA now?
Why Chicago?
Describe a time when there was a conflict?
Describe a time when you had a failure?
Short term long term goals.
What is your biggest weakness? Your philosophy / motivation etc.
How do you do in team settings? - TheEntrepreneur

Interviewed at Booth yesterday. Overall, positive experience. Thought the interview questions were fairly basic and predictable:
-Tell me about yourself
-2 detailed questions about my work experience that coincided with the interviewers background
-Post-MBA goals
-Why Booth
-Concrete skills I'm looking to get out of an MBA
-What do I foresee as the most challenging aspect of b-school
-Most memorable experience from undergrad
Good luck to those of you with interviews in the coming week. - tdawg

Applicant | Admission Tips
a281983 wrote:
This post is for future Indian Applicants who come in search of some data points to decide to apply or not...who may have to shell out 250$ = 16000/rs plus 1 month of hard work to apply to booth(or any college).....i had 710 gmat, 7.5 years of experience and a great career progression in IT --Trainee Engineer -- Software Engineer - Senior Software Engineer -- Project Lead -- Associate Manager -- Product Manager in 7 years(though i changed 5 companies, which in many ways enriched my experience) ...made a good presentation and devoted good time to application..... Got a DING without INTERVIEW...
My 2 cents ...for US top 10, get at least GMAT 750 if you are not from IIT...and if you don't have it and don't want to compromise with US top 10+, stop wasting your time and pursue MBA from Singapore(NUS/NTU)/IIM A/B or spend quality time on your job and ideas.....Good luck! ...(I observed that invites , at least in this forum, went to 750+ candidates from various backgrounds, IT being least favored -- or lets say I am still to find a Indian IT guy with less than 750 score who is not working in US and still got a invite!)

I don't come from an over represented group. BUT I cannot agree with your sentiments. I'm not saying Indian IT guys don't have a tougher time getting in because they do. Visit a class and you will see that probably <10% of the class are Indian. Compare that against the number who apply, it's very tough. But to say unless you are a graduate of IIT with a super GPA, 750+ GMAT is not true.

People think that GMAT+GPA+Great Work ex = sure fire admit. I honestly believe the admissions teams of various schools when they say the process is holistic. Yes you need the requisite numbers to play but only to be competitive. Once you are in the competitive pot, everything else comes into play. I know in quite a lot of countries, the education system is geared towards numbers and who is the best (India being one of them) but there is a reason why people with GPAs < 3.3 get in. Unfortunately just because you are #1 or top 10% or won a bunch of medals, that's not enough. I am not saying that a 780 GMAT does not stand out. Of course it does, but I don't see any school with an average GMAT of 760. In fact, I would guess that the Indian applicants probably don't average that either.

Similarly with work experience, it is not enough to have achieved a bunch of promotions and won awards at work. This does not by itself stand out. There are people who have never been promoted once or won a single award, yet get admitted. Why? They convinced the admissions team that they were exceptional even without those things. If everyone gets an award, that's no longer special. If you get promoted lots but on the same track as everyone else, you are not so special. The key is the context.

Just a final thing, I know the ding hurt. But you can only get in if you apply. Yes $250 is a ton of money when converted back into INR but if you don't apply, you will never get in. Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. - domotron

I just finished my interview yesterday and it was a great experience. The interviewer, a second year, was very polite yet also warm and easy to talk to. The questions were very straight forward, very similar to what you might find at other schools.
-walk me through your resume
-what will you contribute to the culture and in class
-why booth
-if your first career goal falls through, what's your backup
-a lot of questions on my extra curriculars
-example of leadership
-an example of when you faced adversity as a leader
-any questions - dave785

Applicant | Application Essays
knightofdelta wrote:
I am going for R2 too and I am not doing any kind of PPT. Why should the admission guys tell us to chose any one were more comfortable with if they would only mark us down for doing exactly that?

In a nutshell, I doubt that they would be more favorably disposed to PPT. And I don't care what any consultant says either.
Posted from my mobile device

I am no expert on this by any means, but I feel over the years Booth has in fact favored the powerpoint essay. It's a Booth hallmark, and only until recently - and in my opinion, reluctantly - did they give applicants the option to write the essay. Just like every other school, Booth is under pressure to keep its application numbers up, and if the ppt was a point that dissuaded a lot of people from applying, well, it seems reasonable they would make it optional.

Indeed, quite a handful of people who've applied this year with an essay have gotten interviews. But having talked to ~10 current booth students, they've all told me to go with the ppt. "How come?" I asked. Because it cuts to Booth's core. Unless you're a consultant junkie, the ppt requires you to step a bit outside of your comfort, which, in Booth's eyes, can reveal something authentic about you that they haven't seen elsewhere in your app.

Of course, it ultimately comes down to each individual. If you have never ever used ppt and all you have is a blank canvass after a week of thinking about it, then I say go for the essay. but if you are just looking for the "simpler" way out, tread with care! - tdawg

Just finished an off campus interview. Loved my interviewer! He was very friendly and passionate about Booth. The questions were pretty standard:
-Tell me about yourself
-Specific questions about the resume
-Why MBA
-Why Booth
-Post-MBA goals
-How do you work in a team
-Have you visited campus
-Areas of improvement
-Specific questions about non-work activities - kmc123

Current Student | Part Time MBA
bleepbloop wrote:
I have been reading up on the Booth's PT MBA and have overall concerns that this affects the prestige and experience of the FT MBA in Booth.
Prestige -> PT program dilutes FT brand
Experience--> PT people if you are ever forced to be their classmate can not commit that much time to projects etc due to family and work commitments.

My statements rests on the following assumptions so feel free to attack them or shed further light on them as I could be terribly wrong:
1. PT MBA is less selective therefore lower quality people. By quality I mean if you take a random sample and put their CV in front of MBB or BB it would be not looked at. Of course we are allowing for exceptions.

2. A good group of the PT MBA people have a great fit with PT (going back to old employer) while there is this large minority who see the PT MBA as a backdoor entry to get the benefits of the FT MBA (except internship) without needing to work that hard ever in their pre MBA lives.

3. It is logical to be pissed that Booth allows PT to eventually access OCR resources during their full time search. I value exclusivity and prestige as my ~120k usd and 2 years will exclusively go to Booth.

4. It is logical to be pissed at Booth as they give them the same "MBA Booth" title end of the day and future recruiters, perhaps not those on campus but future recruitiers, will not see the difference. I WANT them to see the difference.

As a current student I thought it would be useful to chime in.

1) It doesn't dilute the Booth brand by any means even if you think that the PT students are subpar to FT students. Our only interaction with them is if FT students choose to take a evening or weekend class. Also, since ALL (LITERALLY ALL because it's in their contract) professors that teach FT students have to teach a PT section of the same course, they receive access to the same amazing professors we do. There is a large Booth community (obviously) in Chicago so why would you pass up this opportunity to network with current business professionals? FT students have access to the directory of FT and PT graduates, which are typically senior members of their organizations after 10+ yrs of working experience. Lastly, they don’t have access to summer internship recruiting so they are not competition.

Also, all recruiters (since I'm recruiting for Investment Management but drop into IB recruiting, I'm talking about Goldman Sachs, JPM, MFS, Fidelity, Hedge funds, Wellington, etc) have told me "you got into Booth. We know you have the mental horsepower to be successful". That doesn't sound like dilution to me. Lastly, if your thought is that a programs brand is lessened due to a PT program, then you should apply that logic to every school except for HBS and Stanford.

2) Again, this is incorrect. They don’t have access to courses at the Harper Center and have a separate career services department to address their needs. Booth caters to our every need and you can not believe the support they give us from academics, adjusting to life in Chicago, career services, recruitment, access to alums, and access to professors. It’s amazing. Our month long orientation included 2 straight weeks of interaction in person with alums that work on every corner of the globe and in very sector imaginable. Info sessions, networking opportunities, after-hours sessions at bars/restaurants in Chicago. I was blown away. As a FT’er, you could walk up and have a conservation with Professor Austan Goolsbee, Professor Fama (which I’ve done), or Dean Kumar (everytime I’ve seen him order food, he gets a salad) in the lunch line. That doesn’t happen at the PT program…their orientation program is 5 days.

3) Again. That doesn’t happen. Also, you will be happy that there’s a PT and weekend program during the recruiting process. It allows the flexibility to miss your regularly scheduled class and make up the lesson on a weekend or at a night class.

4) Again, most PT graduates will say that they went to the PT program. Also, employers will know that you went to the FT program because you attended for 2 yrs vs. 3+ yrs for a PT student. Lastly, it’s the same professors, same material, and same level of rigor. In fact, a growing number of FT students take PT classes because they choose to take an internship during the school yr or want to focus on creating a business during the day. - urarunner2

Had my interview today for the Super Saturday on campus at Booth. I was surprised how many other applicants were waiting in the waiting room for 10AM interviews. There were also 3 or 4 current Boothies milling around, talking to applicants.

My interviewer asked me the following questions (I may be forgetting a couple):

1) Walk me through your resume
2) Tell me about a successful leadership experience
3) Tell me about a leadership experience that led to failure
4) Tell me how you deal with conflicts
5) Give me an example of how you responded to feedback
6) Why MBA?
7) What classes and activities are you looking forward to at Booth?
8) What do you like to do for fun?
9) What do you want to do after Booth? What type of role do you want?
10) Are there any professors you know of at Booth?
11) What's the best place you've traveled to?
12) Is there anything else you wish I had asked?
13) Any questions for me?

I felt a very good rapport with my interviewer and I think that may be why a couple of my questions were a bit more personal in nature than others have reported. My interview lasted exactly 45 minutes and overall, it was a great experience. - Ward2012

Applicant | Scholarship
JerryTom wrote:
Hi guys! congrats to those who got in, and best wishes to those who are still waiting.

I got an acceptance call from Booth as well - and from Harvard - so I wanted to ask the experienced people here, how does one negotiate for scholarships? At what point do you get informed about them? I just got a congrats call from Booth - with no notification of scholarship. Do we get notified with admission calls or is there a later date for it? (By later, I mean, after submitting the initial deposit - which would mean that to negotiate with multiple schools, you will need to have submitted initial deposits at all of them)

Thank you for your help in advance :)

Can't speak for Harvard as I did not get in, but Booth will tell you on the phone if you get a scholarship. I am not an expert, but from what I have heard and read, schools do not look kindly on scholarship "negotiations." It's not like there are a paucity of good candidates to choose from, and if you tell them you'll only matriculate if you get more (some?) money then I would expect them to let you walk. There are tons of qualified candidates on the WL at both of your schools.

Basically it seems pretty obvious to me that you aren't really negotiating from a position of power so I am surprised that you would think to do this. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. - imfguy976

Current Student | Admit Weekend
Excited to meet R1 Admits this weekend at admit weekend!

Some tips for the weekend:
If you are planning on moving into Millennium Park Plaza (this is the building where approximately 30% of the class lives), be sure to get on the wait list while you are here this weekend, if possible. To get on the wait list, you will need to know if you want to move in August 1st or September 1st (you can only move in on the first of the month) and whether you want a 1, 2, or 3 bedroom unit. The wait list is important because:
1) the higher up you are on the list, the more selection you have to choose from. Some units have granite, stainless steel, dark cherry wood, higher floor, etc and to get those options (if available) you generally have to be at the top of the wait list. In addition, some 1 bedrooms are much larger in sq ft than others, so again, top of the wait list is key.
2) if you are late to the wait list, you could end up with an undesirable move-in date (they push people to july 1 or oct 1) or you could end up without a unit at all

The events in part 2 didn't start happening I believe until after R2 admit weekend last year, so don't worry so much about that quite yet. But, if you want the nicer features/higher floor and all that stuff in number 1, then I would get on the wait list ASAP.

Millennium Park Plaza offers a $500 referral fee and they are VERY strict about how it is used. It is customary for incoming students and current first years to split this referral fee 50/50. You generally cannot share a referral fee with a current second-year because they will most likely be moved out by the time you move in, and so they cannot collect the referral fee.
Here is the statement from the leasing office, be sure to follow it closely:
"To earn the $500 referral rebate, the tenant must indicate they were referred by you on their initial contact with the leasing office, a one year lease must be signed, and the applicant must move-in. On the initial office visit or by email, the prospective tenants will also fill out a leasing guest card that must indicate that you were the specific referring individual to be eligible for the referral rebate. Referring tenant names may not be changed or added after the initial contact. In order to collect a referral rebate, tenants must be a current resident. Also, only one referral rebate is eligible to be paid out per entire apartment that is rented, regardless of the size of the unit or number of occupants. For example, if you refer 3 potential tenants for a 3 bedroom apartment, a $500 referral rebate would be eligible only. Referral rebates will be verified and deducted from your rent after the referred tenant has moved in. Referral rebates will not be paid out via cash or check. Each tenant is allowed a maximum of 3 tenant referrals per year."

If you want to be set up with a current first year at MPP, PM me. I also have contacts at 1130 S Michigan, MDA, the Coast, the Shoreham, the Tides, and Aqua if you want to split referral fees there. If you are interested in any other building let me know and I'll find someone for you. Keep in mind, most buildings only allow 1 to 3 referral fees to be paid to any given current resident, so be sure to include in your message how likely you are to sign a lease at that particular building and be sure to keep your referrer up-to-date if you are no longer interested in their building so he or she can refer other people.

Now, I will give you some more general neighborhood advice. These are just my observations.

South Loop - The building with the most Boothies down there is 1130 S Michigan, there are also people at 1212 S Michigan and from there people are more spread out. I find that most of the people that live there are either couples and/or people with dogs. It is desirable because it is a little quieter than the loop, is close to green space and a dog park, and is close to the Metra and express bus stops. It's a little closer to campus (5 minutes closer or so), so people like that. Also, the rents tend to be about the same as MPP which people like.

Loop - The biggest building in the Loop is Millennium Park Plaza (MPP). MPP is much cheaper than other buildings in the Loop and the metra stop that takes you to school is less than a block away. The pros are: living with your boothie friends, 10-minute walk to Gleacher, lots of parties, closer to river north for TNDC, decent fitness center, pool, roof deck. Internet and Cable are included, people complain about the internet all the time but I have literally never had a problem - I think that some people may not have set up their internet right or something. I don't know. The cons are: construction going on at the base of the building, no washer & dryer in unit (except 38th floor), a little more run-down than some of the other buildings. People definitely like to complain about MPP, the management is questionable and elevator waits can be really long when it's time for everyone to catch the metra to school, but since I did the price comparison of living somewhere else, I don't mind so much. From my experience, I could either live in the South Loop for about the same price as MPP, or live somewhere else in the the Loop like MDA or Lakeshore East for $500+ more a month (I didn't want to live in SLoop). Do your own research on this, but I concluded that saving $500 a month and dealing with a few inconveniences was worth it for me and I am happy with my decision.

Some people also live at MDA City Apartments which is less than a block away from MPP. MDA is a nicer and more expensive than MPP and has washer/dryer in-unit. The units tend to be quite a bit smaller or if you want a unit comparable to MPP size, it's a lot more expensive.

Park Millennium is a condo building that rents some units and there are a handful of Boothies that live there. It is nicer than MPP. The downside is that it's harder to plan ahead for this building, the condos don't come on the market until a month or two before they are available.

Lakeshore East: This is a much nicer area just east of the Loop. It does add a 5 to 10 minute walk to the metra depending on where you live. Lakeshore East is much nicer than MPP and MDA, but much more expensive than MPP. When I was looking for a 1-bedroom unit, The Shoreham/Tides were an additional $600/month for a comparable size unit, and the Coast and Aqua were about an additional $1000 a month. You can get smaller units that aren't as big of a price difference, so I would do your own research on price differences. Also note that when I was looking in February, the price difference wasn't as big but the Shoreham/Tides really jacked up their prices when it was time to sign a lease in July. Your experience may vary. I find that a lot of couples live in Lakeshore East as well as a lot of international students. It's a great place to live if you want to spend the money!

River North/Streeterville/Gold Coast: These areas are a little less accessible to school by public transit. It usually requires a long bus ride, or a bus to the metra. The people that live in these areas usually have a reason - ex, their spouse is in med school at Northwestern in Streeterville, or they lived in this location before business school. River North is where all of the excitement is in Chicago: bars, restaurants shopping. Gold Coast is just north of River north and is a little quieter. Streeterville is just east of River North and is VERY close to Gleacher Center. River North is much more expensive than the Loop, not sure about the Streeterville or Gold Coast.

The Northern Neighborhoods like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, etc have a handful of Boothies as well. These tend to be students who already lived in Chicago before Booth. These areas are slightly cheaper, but since they are so far from school it is really valuable to have a car to get to school - public transit can take a really long time.

Hyde Park - This is where school is located and I think only 7% of the class lives in Hyde Park, and I believe most of the people that live there are families.

For most students, the Loop and MPP will be the place to live. Couples should seriously consider South Loop or Lakeshore East in addition to the Loop. Couples still live in MPP, too. Families tend to live further out since the cost of living is so high in the areas surrounding the Loop, families tend to either live in Hyde Park or one of the northern neighborhoods.

Per my discussion at the top, if you are at all considering living at MPP I would definitely get on the wait list asap. You can still look around at other buildings in the mean time, but it's well worth the $40 or so you pay to get on the wait list to have your choice of the best/biggest units. Again, PM me if you want to split referral fees with someone, I will facilitate.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask more questions! - Top10MBACandidate

Applicant | Interview Prep
There are a lot of resources out there on interview questions. Have you mastered the basics of MBA interview questions? Those usually are "Why MBA?"; "Why now?"; "Why [this school]?"; "What do you want to do afterward?"; "Why do you need an MBA to do that?"; and usually some behavioral questions related to leadership, teamwork, etc.

Do you know the difference between those and behavioral ("Tell me about a time...") questions? Do you know the STAR (situation, task, action, response) format to make sure you address those questions properly? Can you talk about your resume crisply, quickly, and clearly with themes/overarching ideas that tie your experience together? Have you done research on specific concentrations, clubs, professors, and experiences that make the school unique?

If you can answer "yes" to all those questions, you're in good shape. Otherwise, I recommend you look on ClearAdmit for a list of questions that are specific to Booth, but also get familiar with those other question types and your responses to the standard questions. The Booth interview is a more conversational one that hits the issues/areas I mentioned above, but there may be some behavioral questions thrown in too. It's not 100% behavioral like the Sloan interview is supposed to be. - j0yd1v1s10n

Funny stuff posted by applicants in desperation.

List of Admitted Folks

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
GMAT Club Bot
Important Posts from Booth(Chicago) Class of 2016 Discussion   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2015, 21:12

Important Posts from Booth(Chicago) Class of 2016 Discussion

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: redskull1, ambera33