GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Improve of more than 100points in one month? HELP!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Improve of more than 100points in one month? HELP!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 18:17
Hi all!

Is my first time writing in the blog, but I am desesperate and a need an advice please!!

I am not a english native speaker, so for me all the verbal section is the hardest part (really is extremely painful!). Here is my story, everything started in january 2017, I studied and concentrated more in the math part, (yes I know, a huge mistake!) I decided to take the exam on march 17. Of course, my score was terrible!! and I feel shame to say it (or write) was a disappointed 470, a week before the test I took two GMAT prep test and I had a 530 on the first and 430 on the second (yes! I almost cried).

Then, I focused on the verbal section and started to study more this, I bought the magoosh package, I needed to improve my grammar for SC, and I am also very bad on RC and CR. I have to say that the lessons of Magoosh and explanations of the exercises are so good! I really like it!.

I took the exam again today, three months after my first tried, and to be honest I studied hard just one month and a half, maybe two months before the test, I am very bad for this type of test, is very difficult for me to be seated for hours reading passages or studying grammar. In this period of study I focused on verbal, but making math exercises also, and I made three GMAT prep test, my scores were 500 (Q40 and V20), 500 (Q45 and V15) and 520 (Q42 and V20), my score today in my second attempt was terrible! I got a 470 (Q37 and V19), my worst score in math. The first question took me a lot of time, and leave me nervous for the rest of the test.

I know that my aquilles heel is verbal, my foundation in grammar is very bad, and I am not used to read on english, the worst combination for GMAT...but I know that I can do this! so I am going to take the test one more time, I am planning to take it in one month (I dont have too much time, since I want to apply in october), my target score is a 650, even a 640 will be ok. What can you recommend me?

Thanks for reading me!!
Current Student
P
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Improve of more than 100points in one month? HELP!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 12:03
Wow, I am not sure where to begin. Since its going to be very difficult to improve CR & RC in one month only. I'd recommend focusing on SC and Quant.... find your weaknessess in quant and focus on those. You will be able to improve really quickly in math as opposed to improving in verbal.... a solid month of study could help you get to Q45-Q46....

350--> 700

https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-q47-v39-ir-7-awa-246682.html
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 13:12
Hello!

As the rare GMAT instructor with a verbal-focused background (M.S. Journalism - Northwestern U.) I do think there are several things that you can do to improve on the Verbal side of the exam and because of the curve of the exam it can actually be easier to do so!

First some background - according to the GMAC the mean raw score out of 60 on the Verbal section is ~27, while on the Quant it is ~39. This means that the average GMAT student is significantly stronger in quantitative skills as opposed to verbal skills. This can present an opportunity for the savvy test taker. For instance a score of 32 on the Verbal puts the test taker in the top third of all test takers, while a score of 32 on the Quant puts the test taker in the bottom third of all test takers. This means that improvement on the Verbal side can result in more marked overall score improvement simply because of the grading curve.

Now, in terms of how to improve on the specific question types in Verbal you are most likely to be able to make the most improvements in Sentence Corrections and Critical Reasoning. Reading Comprehension represents a lesser opportunity due to the challenges you face as a non-native English speaker. However, there are obviously opportunities there too. First, you will need to understand that like the Quantitative section the Verbal section follows strict rules and logic that can be exploited through process and identification.

Sentence Corrections for one are about meaning and intent more than grammar. Grammar informs meaning and intent, not the other way around and if you focus on just six common errors the GMAT repeats over and over again (Subject-Verb Agreement, Verb Tense, Pronouns, Modifiers, Parallelism, Comparison) you can get better at identifying the errors that confuse intent and meaning irrespective of arcane and complex English grammar rules. This makes idiom significantly less important and renders punctuation a non-issue except in the most extreme exceptions!

As for Critical Reasoning, 85% of the questions boil down to a simple logical equation: grounds + assumption = conclusion. The grounds and the conclusion will be literally stated in every prompt and it is simply up to you to identify one of only a handful logical argument types which informs the assumption that lies between the evidence and the claim. Once again by focusing on the common argument types and errors, rather than the specifics of an individual problem will speed up your process and increase accuracy. There are standard assumptions within arguments such as causality, analogy, plan, data, and representation that will allow you to work through the majority of the prompts without getting bogged down in details.

Manhattan Prep's books are pretty good at illustrating these CR and SC techniques and there are a ton of other resources available online as well. However, it can be difficult to find as many resources online for Verbal as there are for Quant. That said, the opportunity to improve does exist provided you streamline your approach and rather than preparing for every potential CR or SC question focus on the common types so that you can attack the most frequently asked questions.

Hopefully this helps!

Find out more about online GMAT tutoring with MyGuru
http://www.myguruedge.com/gmat-prep/online-gmat-tutoring
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 13:47
Thanks a lot for your responses jkolachi and smaisnier ! very helpful...I am going to focus on CR, SC and quant. I am also reading business articles (the economist mainly), as an effort to improve my RC skills, do you think that can be helpful? or I should spend that time making quant/SC/RC exercises? I read one hour per day, and study 4 hours.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 14:11
The Economist is a good bet for reading comp practice. I would also recommend the Harvard Business Review. Try not to sacrifice any actual GMAT practice for reading those publications however. The best GMAT RC practice is GMAT RC passages. Just supplement your instruction with downtime reading of similar content from popular publications.

Good luck on your GMAT journey!

Find out more about online GMAT tutoring with MyGuru
http://www.myguruedge.com/gmat-prep/online-gmat-tutoring
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 13:56
hello, can sb help me to clear a doubt. That is, pre-thinking method will not cause test takers to miss any important words? Also, how an international student like me can combine all ideas, and deductions from each sentence in the argument in a precise way? (assuming that I already paraphrase the passage)
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 04:13
Hi

it is better to start with taking a CAT exam know starting point
3 month is pretty enough time so you can start with Best comprehensive material

1. Manhattan GMAT Quant Guides
2. Manhattan GMAT Verbal guides
or
Aristotle Verbal Guide
for CR critical reasoning bible is best book with 300+ pages of comprehensive Data

Start with quant, learn the concepts tested on GMAT
After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice
You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT

1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal
when completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice
Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score

Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis
trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know
your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best CATs

1. Official GMAC (50+50$)
2. Manhattan GMAT (49$)
3. GMAT Club Quant CATs (80$)
4. Veritas CATs (49$ but you can buy at 15-20$ During sale period)

above Mock exams are as important as ranked

Good Luck
Cheers :)
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 08:49
Hi fiorellaarriola,

I would highly encourage you to aim a little higher. Even if you are scoring low right now it doesn’t imply that you will not get better. I have met several people who started really low but have nonetheless scored enviable scores and made it to top business schools. It’s a good thing you have taken your GMAT once. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for Three months, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. Further I see you are a new member here at GMATCLUB and when you sign up at GMATCLUB you get a free 3 days access to EMPOWERgmat course. You can also try free access to Magoosh and Optimus Prep so try those out as well.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. Just by going through these guides and solving the OG will help you reach 600+. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best.
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 17:13
Hi rohan2345,

Thanks for your response! I bought the Magoosh online course, very helpful!!

Thanks for your advices.

Best.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Improve of more than 100points in one month? HELP!!!   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2017, 17:13

Improve of more than 100points in one month? HELP!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics