GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Sep 2019, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Re: In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 07:22
mikemcgarry wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry and other experts
although I picked up D, I have no idea why A is incorrect.
What's the difference between "so as to" and "so that"

OE makes me confusing as well.
So as to marry is not idiomatically correct; it does not identify who will marry

Why so as to is not idiomatically correct, why it does not identify who will marry, IMO, it does identify King Henry VIII

Please help clarify,

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day

>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

How are you, my friend? I'm happy to respond. :-)

I assume you know about the Magoosh GMAT Idiom flashcards.

This is a tricky one. Choice (A) is very good---if (D) didn't exist, I could imagine that (A) could be a right answer. This is a rare case of an official question having an incorrect answer that is so good.

Version (A):
In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.
This is 100% grammatically correct. I think the rhetorical emphasis on the subject makes it clear who will do the marrying. Let's say this one is 90% clear.

If we didn't mention the queen, that would be 100% correct:
Version (A1):
In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.
Now, that's 100% clear, but poor Queen Catherine of Aragon was ignored.

Version (D):
In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so that he could marry Anne Boleyn.
This is also 100% clear, absolutely no ambiguity imaginable, and we get to keep the queen. This is win-win.

Choice (A) is not wrong. Choice (A) is very strong, AND it is not as good as Choice (D), which is above all reproach. Once again, it is rare that an official question has this pattern.

Does all this make sense? Have a good day!
Mike :-)

Thank you mikemcgarry !

I knew why 'D' was right, but was just not able to figure out why 'A' is wrong.

But after reading your reply I could understand that there is a very tiny bit of ambiguity in option 'A', as to who would marry Anne Boelyn, the King or the Queen.

Have I understood it correctly ?

Thanks
Saurabh
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2019, 07:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 41 posts ] 

In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics