Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work th [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
shivdeepmodi wrote:

Yes. It makes sense.
Translation - noun
Translating - verb

Hi shivdeepmodi,

It is not correct to call "translating" a Verb because it has neither any tense nor any voice. Grammatically, they are Noun Entities, but they are not our regular nouns because they denote an action. And not every action word is Verb. Calling "translating" a Verb is incorrect.

Thanks. :-)
SJ

Hi SJ,

I was thinking along the lines...

I am translating Gita from Hindi to English --> am translating --> action.
The translation of Gita from Hindi to English is a monumental task --> translation --> noun.

Regards,
Shivdeep
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work th [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shivdeepmodi wrote:
I was thinking along the lines...

I am translating Gita from Hindi to English --> am translating --> action.
The translation of Gita from Hindi to English is a monumental task --> translation --> noun.

Actually an apples to apples comparison will be:

Translating Gita from Hindi to English is a monumental task --> translating used as a noun
The translation of Gita from Hindi to English is a monumental task --> translation clearly a noun

In the sentence that you have stated (I am translating Gita from Hindi to English), translating is a participle (an adjective form of the verb translate), while in the example that I have stated (Translating Gita from Hindi to English is a monumental task), translating is a gerund (a noun form of the verb translate).

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses gerunds Vs participles, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
@e-gmat or anyone

In 1713,
Alexander Pope began his translation of the lillad,
a work that took him seven years to complete,
and
that literary critic samuel Johnson, pope's contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language

--- Can you please explain the role of "that" in this sentence.
My understanding is the first "that" is functioning as a subject
a work that - subject
took him seven years to complete - verb
whereas second "that" in the sentence
a work that - subject
literaray critic samuel jackson pronounced greatest translation - No Verb .

Is the second 'that' functioning as a connector? if so can "that", one that functions as subject and one that functions as connnector be parallel/ Please clarify my confusion regarding
1) role of "that" in both cases
2) if "a work that took him seven years to complete," is a clause or modifier?
3) a work that samuel jackson prounced....is a clause or modifier
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
saikrishna123 wrote:
In 1713,
Alexander Pope began his translation of the lillad,
a work that took him seven years to complete,
and
that literary critic samuel Johnson, pope's contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language

--- Can you please explain the role of "that" in this sentence.
My understanding is the first "that" is functioning as a subject
a work that - subject
took him seven years to complete - verb

Correct. However, a more relevant point is that that is functioning as a relative pronoun here, referring to the noun work.

saikrishna123 wrote:
whereas second "that" in the sentence
a work that - subject
literaray critic samuel jackson pronounced greatest translation - No Verb .

Is the second 'that' functioning as a connector?

Actually this that is also functioning as a relative pronoun (the way the first that is working), referring to the noun work.

So, basically both the instances of that are referring to work.

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses the various avatars of that, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I still dont understand why many comments above said: "it" is redundant?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Hi,

I did not understood 50% of sentence but reached till OA using POE, can any one help em to understand meaning of sentence and is there any method to reach OA other than POE if one can not crack what author is trying to state.

Thanks !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi,

I did not understood 50% of sentence but reached till OA using POE, can any one help em to understand meaning of sentence and is there any method to reach OA other than POE if one can not crack what author is trying to state.

Thanks !
This sentence tells us that:

1. In 1713, AP began his translation of another work, the Iliad.
2. This translation took AP 7 years to complete.
3. SJ, who was a literary critic and a contemporary of (living at the same time as) AP, called AP's translation of the Iliad "the greatest translation in any language".

How did you get to the correct option?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work th [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks !
This sentence tells us that:

1. In 1713, AP began his translation of another work, the Iliad.
2. This translation took AP 7 years to complete.
3. SJ, who was a literary critic and a contemporary of (living at the same time as) AP, called AP's translation of the Iliad "the greatest translation in any language".

How did you get to the correct option?

First I eliminated C, D, and E for marked reason then was confused bett A and B and highlighted part in A doesn't sound right to me and B looked better, hence selected B.

A. his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced

B. his translation of the Illiad, a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced

C. his translation of the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it is

D. translating the Illiad, a work that took seven years until completion and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it as

E. translating the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Can someone help me understand why we can automatically eliminate C and E because of the past perfect verb tense?

I understand that the past perfect verb tense is used for the 1st of 2 events that occur in the past, where the 2nd event is to be in simple past. After reading the GMATNinja explanation, I see how "7 years" cannot be before the "began translation", but when I tried to answer this I took the 2nd verb in the past perfect sequence as "pronounced". In the case of looking at these 2 verbs, you can say that the 7 years had taken place prior to the "pronounced".

When analyzing past perfect verb tenses, does anyone have a rule or some insight on how to identify the 2nd verb that is supposed to be in simple past tense in the presence of a past perfect verb (in the event that there is more than 1 simple past verb in the same sentence as a past perfect verb)?

Thank you!! :) :please :angel:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
sushigmat wrote:
Hi firsttimenoob.
When it comes to deciding which is the first verb (past perfect) and which is the later verb (in a case where there are more than one verbs in a sentence), consider the following:
a) the past perfect case does NOT APPLY When the two verbs are joined by ‘and’. And being a parallelism marker, excludes the possibility of a past perfect and simple past construction (even though logically the two verbs joined by and could be in two different timelines).

B) in the given question, if we assume that the work had FIRST Taken seven years to complete and LATER it was pronounced, in that case if the first part states the work that had taken, after ‘and’, the next part should say ‘and that had been announced’, because parallelism with ‘and’ requires the two verbs to be in the same past tense, after which there would have to be a third verb in the simple past tense.
For example: Mary had met her Professor and (had) taken his approval before she started working on her doctoral thesis.
Hope this helps!
Please give kudos if the explanation helped you.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for your response sushigmat

So if we have "and" or another parallelism marker, the only way past perfect will be correct is if both the verbs before and after the parallelism marker are in past perfect (so both entities are rightfully parallel) and there's a third verb in simple past tense? Or is it that past perfect cannot be used in as an entity that has a parallel verb.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work th [#permalink]
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

A. his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced “, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced” is a modifier telling us more about the work. But there is no verb after that. So the sentence is incomplete.

B. his translation of the Illiad, a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced This sentence has the parallel structure, “a work that x and that y.”

C. his translation of the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it is The “it” in “pronounced it is” is not needed.

D. translating the Illiad, a work that took seven years until completion and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it as The “it” in “pronounced it as” is not needed.

E. translating the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it The “it” in “pronounced it” is not needed.

- Nitha Jay

Originally posted by CrackverbalGMAT on 08 Apr 2020, 03:28.
Last edited by CrackverbalGMAT on 11 Jan 2022, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
chunjuwu wrote:
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

A. his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced

B. his translation of the Illiad, a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced

C. his translation of the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it is

D. translating the Illiad, a work that took seven years until completion and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it as

E. translating the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 174: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

There are few things to notice here:
1. we should not use "HAD " here , because had is used when 2 events happened in past and 1 event is more deeper in the past. We dont have such case in this question option E and C are OUT.
2. "THAT" is a essential modifier and should not preceded by comma(,) so, A is OUT.
3. In the above sentence we have used "THAT" twice and its referring to "WORK" and you would have noticed there is one work "it" at the end of options which is also referring to work , so for this reason also C,D,E are OUT.
B - Correct and option B is taking care of all of the above mentioned errors.
Manager
Manager
Status:Having fun Growing Mental Agility & Toughness (GMAT) ^_^
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
Mantra: "There is a will, there is a way."
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
BinhFantasia wrote:
I still dont understand why many comments above said: "it" is redundant?

I learned this from Ron: whenever you're dealing w/ a super long sentence, try a simpler example and reason it out:
    A cake that I ate was tasty.
    A cake that I ate it was tasty.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
B. his translation of the Illiad, a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced [/quote]
Notice the nice parallelism in (B): “a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson… pronounced….” No problem: we have two nice, parallel phrases that describe the word “work.”

In option B,
Is the word "as" not required after the word pronounced?
Please help out.
Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi Team

I just had a small doubt

- why is the modifier a work incorrectly referring to - translating the iliad (which is a verb-ing noun + noun)
as compared to
- translation of the iliad (noun + prep + noun)

GMATNinja wrote:
I can think of plenty of official GMAT questions that are harder, but this one seems to generate a disproportionate amount of pain. Most of you have probably heard me preach about this sort of thing before, but if you’re able to be really really strict and literal with the meaning of the sentence, this question is much, much easier.

Let’s start by lining (A) and (B) up side-by-side, because that will make it easier to see the problem with one of them.

Quote:

Notice the nice parallelism in (B): “a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson… pronounced….” No problem: we have two nice, parallel phrases that describe the word “work.”

In (A), that first modifier makes less sense: “…a work that, taking him seven years until completion…” Huh? Why not just say “a work that took him seven years to complete”? There’s no good reason to stick “taking him seven years…” into a separate little modifying phrase, wedged between more commas. Plus, you could also argue that “seven years to complete” is a more elegant phrase than “seven years until completion.”

Clearly, (B) is better than (A), so let’s hang onto (B), and ditch (A).

Quote:

The lowest-hanging fruit here is the use of the past perfect “had taken”, which doesn’t make any sense at all.

In general, a verb in past perfect denotes an action that happens in the “distant past”, before some other past action or “time marker” in the past – in most cases, a second action that is in the simple past tense. We have one of those here: “in 1713, Alexander Pope began translating…” But if we think about the verb tenses literally, the sentence is saying that the work “had taken seven years to complete” BEFORE Pope began translating it. And that’s nonsense. (More on past perfect and other verb tenses in this webinar.)

The other problem is with the pronoun “it.” The referent is clear enough: “it” must refer to “a work.” But there’s no reason to include “it” in the middle of a phrase that modifies the word “work” to begin with: “a work that… literary critic Samuel Johnson… pronounced it as the greatest translation…”

Huh? There’s no reason for the “it” there. If you aren’t totally convinced, try completely stripping out the modifiers for a moment, and replace “it” with “the work”: “… a work that Samuel Johnson pronounced the work as the greatest translation…” Fail.

For those two reasons, we can get rid of (C).

Quote:

There are two serious problems with (D). The first one is the same as in (C): the use of the word “it” makes no sense at all. See the explanation for (C) above for more on that issue.

The second problem is a little bit more subtle. The beginning of the underlined portion now uses the phrase “translating the Illiad”, instead of “his translation of the Illiad.” Neither of those things are inherently wrong by themselves, but the phrase is followed by a description: “a work that took seven years…” The sentence is trying to say that Alexander Pope took seven years to write the translation, but (D) is literally suggesting that the Illiad itself is “a work” that took Pope seven years to complete. And that’s nonsense: the Illiad itself wasn’t “a work” completed by Pope; the Illiad was written by Homer, and the translation is Pope’s actual “work.”

Finally, the phrase “a work that took seven years until completion” would be much nicer if it said “a work that took seven years to complete”, but the version in (D) isn’t WRONG, exactly. But the other two issues are a pretty big deal. (D) is out.

Quote:

(E) basically just combines all of the worst errors that we saw in the other answer choices. The use of the past perfect “had taken” is wrong, for the same reasons as in (C) -- see above for a full explanation. The use of “it” is also wrong for exactly the same reasons as (C), and “translating the Illiad” is wrong for exactly the same reasons as (D).

Those three things give us more than enough reasons to eliminate (E), and (B) is the best we can do.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hello all,

Within A, is there a technical reason why "taking him seven years until completion" isn't correct? Or is it just inferior/less direct to "took him seven years to complete"? It immediately sounded off, but if possible, i'm try to avoid crossing out answer choices based on "sound."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
(1) incomplete sentence: “his translation…, a work that, […], and THAT literary critic Samuel Johnson…” – “taking him seven years until completion” is a nonessential modifier, so we can remove this. The result is an incomplete sentence.

Best option

(1) verb tense error: “a work that had taken seven years” so the work took seven years FIRST then alexander began his translation? Illogical; (2) redundant/ambiguous it: “…a work THAT…and THAT literary critic SJ…pronounced IT is the greatest…”

(1) redundant/ambiguous it: “…a work THAT…and THAT literary critic SJ…pronounced IT is the greatest…”; (2) modifier/meaning error: “…began translating the Illiad, a work that took seven years…” – “the Illiad” isn’t “a work.” It’s the translation that was the work performed and took seven years, NOT the Illiad itself.

(1) redundant/ambiguous it: “…a work THAT…and THAT literary critic SJ…pronounced IT is the greatest…”; (2) modifier/meaning error: “…began translating the Illiad, a work that took seven years…” – “the Illiad” isn’t “a work.” It’s the translation that was the work performed and took seven years, NOT the Illiad itself.; (3) verb tense error: “a work that had taken seven years” so the work took seven years FIRST then alexander began his translation? Illogical;
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts