Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Modifiersx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [376]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [109]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [55]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [15]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Putting 'and' as the start of the second clause separates the act of separation from the deed of emancipation, and that is clearly not the case, eliminating C, D and E.

B is incorrect because "more than the 500 slaves" seems to imply that his deed of emancipation freed some slaves that were not his legally. "The more than 500 slaves" clearly points that all freed slaves were considered his legally.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [3]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in [#permalink]
Kudos
RGM wrote:
Putting 'and' as the start of the second clause separates the act of separation from the deed of emancipation, and that is clearly not the case, eliminating C, D and E.

B is incorrect because "more than the 500 slaves" seems to imply that his deed of emancipation freed some slaves that were not his legally. "The more than 500 slaves" clearly points that all freed slaves were considered his legally.

thanks for the response RGM.

I understand your reasoning of 'and' for 'C' and 'D' but in 'E' isn't a separate independent clause started? which should be acceptable?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Leaving aside the unidiomatic B, C and E, and between A and D, let us get the gist of the matter. The question here is whether he stunned first and then set free the more than 500, as made out in D or he stunned, filed and set free the slaves, all in one action, as pointed in the text. IMO. D substantially alters the intent by a wrong order. Of course the determiner - the - is indeed vital to mean that he released all those under his custody, not leaving out any one. A is the clear choice by logic.

Originally posted by daagh on 17 Nov 2010, 21:26.
Last edited by daagh on 18 Nov 2010, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
"Setting Free the more than 500" ! Does not tis sound weird ? I went with option B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
I answered this question wrong because I was not aware of the meaning of "Emancipation"

I thought this question has 2 clauses:
1. stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by filing a deed of emancipation
2. setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property

Logically, to join two clauses, you choose an option with "and".

I chose the option (D) because it has the right idiom "Considered" but when I chose this option I had a little apprehension about the tense of "set", which is in present tense whereas "stunned" is in past tense.

But I had a gut feel that (D) is the right option :) which finally turned out to be wrong.

The mistake I have done was, I was not able to understand that the second clause is qualifying "emancipation" rather than introducing a new clause.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3946 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
+1 A

"setting" is required because we need to explain what deed of emancipationd did. "setting" is a modifier.
B changes the number of slaves.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
After eliminating unidiomatic choices involving the use of the verb ‘consider’, we are left with A and D. The gist of the topic is that the Robert stunned his family, friends, and neighbors, by releasing all (note all) the slaves he held in his enrollment. The is the implication of the use of the definite article ‘the‘in the original text. When you drop the definite article, then it means that Robert had more than 500 slaves and of them he released only 500. This is distorted intention. Hence A is the right choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Send PM
Bookmarks
I chose C first but agree that "Considered" does not require "as".
Could some one please elaborate how "the more than 500" is correct? Use of "the" seems odd.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is my approach to the right answer.

In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in Virginia, stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by filing a deed of emancipation, setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.

(A) setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered >> though it may seem a bit lengthy, actually it correctly conveys the meaning.
(B) setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as >> "consider as his property" is wordy. "Considered his property" is correct and concise. I also followed 'ear test' that I am trying to develop to train my ears. :)

(C) and set free more than 500 slaves, who were legally considered as >> parallelism problem
(D) and set free more than the 500 slaves who were legally considered >> parallelism problem
(E) and he set free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered as >> parallelism problem
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
the correct idiom is Consider X Y

Only choices A and D use the correct idiom.
The ing modifier is used correctly, since it describes how Mr. Robert Carter stunned everyone!
and set - is not correct, because 2 verbs are parallel and it is illogical to say that Mr. RC stunned everyone and set free..

A) setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered
looks ok.

B )setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as
incorrect idiom

C )and set free more than 500 slaves, who were legally considered as
incorrect idiom, and set should be setting.

D )and set free more than the 500 slaves who were legally considered
set should be ing modifier
set free more than the... - changes meaning. Now it is implied that he set free his 500 slaves and other slaves.

E) and he set free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered as
new clause not properly connected.
incorrect idiom
set should be setting.

A is the best.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Baten80 wrote:
In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in Virginia, stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by filing a deed of emancipa¬tion, setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.

(A) setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered
(B) setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as
(C) and set free more than 500 slaves, who were legally considered as
(D) and set free more than the 500 slaves who were legally considered
(E) and he set free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered as

There are 2 issues with this question -

1. Idiomatic Usage Issue ( Consider x , y )
2. Modifier Issue ( , ver-ing modifier )

Using the idiomatic usage rule we can negate option , (B), (C) & (E) so Option (A) and (D) remains..

Option (A)

In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in Virginia, stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by filing a deed of emancipation , setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.

If the verb-ing modifier appears after a clause and is preceded by a comma, then it modifies the entire preceding clause.

Option (B)

In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in Virginia, stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by
1. filing a deed of emancipation,
2. and set free more than the 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.

Option (B) illogically refers 2 actions highlighted above..

Hence among the given options only (A) follows..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
daagh wrote:
After eliminating unidiomatic choices involving the use of the verb ‘consider’, we are left with A and D. The gist of the topic is that the Robert stunned his family, friends, and neighbors, by releasing all (note all) the slaves he held in his enrollment. The is the implication of the use of the definite article ‘the‘in the original text. When you drop the definite article, then it means that Robert had more than 500 slaves and of them he released only 500. This is distorted intention. Hence A is the right choice

To be more clarified, is it like the following?

Let, Robert had 510 slaves. Without 'the' it means any number of slaves between 501 and 510 inclusive and with 'the' it means all 510 slaves.

Am I correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [13]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos