It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 794

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Location: Singapore
In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2005, 18:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries put into effect a six-hour workday, believing it a seeming permanent accommodation rather than a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was an economy made overproductive by advances in technology.

(A) believing it a seeming permanent accommodation rather than a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was
(B) believing it a seeming permanent accommodation instead of a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was
(C) believing that it was not a temporary expedient but a seeming permanent accommodation to what many observers thought of as a
(D) not as a temporary expedient but as a seemingly permanent accommodation to what many observers thought was
(E) not as a temporary expedient but believing it a seemingly permanent accommodation for what many observers thought
_________________

Cheers, Rahul.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 840

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Re: SC - Rubber industry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2005, 20:15
rahulraao wrote:
In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries put into effect a six-hour workday, believing it a seeming permanent accommodation rather than a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was an economy made overproductive by advances in technology.

(A) believing it a seeming permanent accommodation rather than a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was
(B) believing it a seeming permanent accommodation instead of a temporary expedient for what many observers thought was
(C) believing that it was not a temporary expedient but a seeming permanent accommodation to what many observers thought of as a
(D) not as a temporary expedient but as a seemingly permanent accommodation to what many observers thought was
(E) not as a temporary expedient but believing it a seemingly permanent accommodation for what many observers thought


D for me on this one! I certainly don't and can't point out why I chose this, but "seemingly" was one of the cue words for me. :roll:

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1708

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Rubber industry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2005, 21:27
D. seeming is not correct. the correct one is seemingly.

also not x but y is the idiom the sentence needs.

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5034

Kudos [?]: 438 [0], given: 0

Location: Singapore
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2005, 21:41
(A) 'seeming permanent accommodation' is awkward

(B) - 'instead' is not appropriate

(C) - 'was' is the wrong tense

(D) - not as a temporary expedient but as a seemingly permanent accommodation to what many observers thought was

(E) - definitely out. Awkward phrasing.

D for me.

Kudos [?]: 438 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 251

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2005, 15:03
Please explain what is wrong with A


Also can some one please explain me the difference in the usages of

Rather than / instead of with examples. I always get confued b/w them.


Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 251

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2005, 15:05
ywilfred wrote:
(A) 'seeming permanent accommodation' is awkward

(B) - 'instead' is not appropriate

(C) - 'was' is the wrong tense

(D) - not as a temporary expedient but as a seemingly permanent accommodation to what many observers thought was

(E) - definitely out. Awkward phrasing.

D for me.


Hi ywilfred,

Can you please explain why the phrase is an awkward construction in A and not awkward in D ?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2734

Kudos [?]: 1051 [0], given: 4

Location: New York City
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2007, 11:44
hkm_gmat wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
(A) 'seeming permanent accommodation' is awkward

(B) - 'instead' is not appropriate

(C) - 'was' is the wrong tense

(D) - not as a temporary expedient but as a seemingly permanent accommodation to what many observers thought was

(E) - definitely out. Awkward phrasing.

D for me.


Hi ywilfred,

Can you please explain why the phrase is an awkward construction in A and not awkward in D ?


believe is a thinking verb. it must be folowed by THAT.

he believes that the sun revolves around the moon.

Kudos [?]: 1051 [0], given: 4

  [#permalink] 26 Jul 2007, 11:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In 1933 the rubber, clothing, and shipbuilding industries

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.