GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 May 2018, 12:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Re: In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 20:47
jayanthjanardhan wrote:
can we have mulitple 'had''s in a sentence?...how do we know the sequencing of the events in that case?

Hi,

For the sequencing you first identify the number of verbs in each clause.

For Eg. in this sentence the verbs are:" wanted" , "scoffed" and "had made".

Now you want to fill it in a time line starting from the past to present date or till future whichever be the case.

Her adviseries "scoffed" when she "wanted" both these verbs are happening simulataneously in the past."made" comes after those two verbs. Now in order to show different phases in time we have to use the "past particicple" form for the event which occured earlier and the simple past for what comes next.

I hope its clear. :)

Regards,
Dom.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 21:14
Thanks dominic...this is a little confusing. This is the first time i am seeing mulitple 'had's in a sentence. Have you come across this before?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 21:27
This post received
KUDOS
jayanthjanardhan wrote:
Thanks dominic...this is a little confusing. This is the first time i am seeing mulitple 'had's in a sentence. Have you come across this before?

Yes we can see multiple had.. thumb rule is to find the verbs and see where and how they fall in the timeline.... In fact we can see "had had" as well.

Regards,
Dom.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 10:46
daagh wrote:
Concept: When we have a series of events that occurred in the past and ended the past, the last of the events entails a simple past and the previous events, any number, one or more, will entail past perfect.
In the given issue
First event: In the 1950s, Mother wanted to form an orphanage
Second event: her adversaries scoffed at her
Third and the last event: in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true

As per the thumb rule, the last event should be in the simple past as - a resolute missionary will made her dream come true -

The previous two events will take on the past perfect verbs as – Mother had wanted to …….. And her adversaries had scoffed at her

B only wins the tense debate, doesn’t it? Well! that has not come out as a choice so far.

One fact that has confused me is that : when clauses are linked by and or but , then in general we don't need past perfect between them. ( As per Manhattan SC Book). Based on this do we need to link last action/event with the other two events through past perfect tense.
To simplify, Wanted ( should be in past perfect) and Scoffed (should be in simple past) , and ( made also in simple past, bcs it's connected to main clause with conjunction "but")

will you shed some light on this and how to deal going forward.....
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 15:43
Hello,

question, why do we refer to "will made..." in answer B, which is the correct option, as simple past? How can this tense be simple past if it is accompanied by "will"?

Thanks much!
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Nov 2015, 22:19
angierch wrote

Quote:
question, why do we refer to "will made..." in answer B, which is the correct option, as simple past? How can this tense be simple past if it is accompanied by "will"?

Thanks much

Please go through the previous postings, particularly those of earnit and Dominic for an answer to your query.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 03 Nov 2015, 20:52.
Last edited by daagh on 03 Nov 2015, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 21:15
Quote:
Jam 2014 wrote
One fact that has confused me is that : when clauses are linked by and or but , then in general we don't need past perfect between them. ( As per Manhattan SC Book). Based on this do we need to link last action/event with the other two events through past perfect tense.
To simplify, Wanted ( should be in past perfect) and Scoffed (should be in simple past) , and ( made also in simple past, bcs it's connected to main clause with conjunction "but")

will you shed some light on this and how to deal going forward.....

Please look into the link to find Mike’s explanation of multiple past perfects in the same clause and to see whether the use of conjunctions impacts choice of tenses.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/sequence-o ... orrection/

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 01:35
Below is the link for all the information you need to answer these kind of questions. mikemcgarry has explained the whole concept exceptionally well with examples. Once you go through the whole article you will not have any doubt answering such questions as this.

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/sequence-o ... orrection/

Regards.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 02:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2018, 02:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap