Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Humanitiesx   Short Passagex   Social Sciencex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: In 1955 Maurice Duverger published The Political Role of Women, the fi [#permalink]
5.56 time taken, 6/6, although my accuracy is high, I find it difficult to maintain it for science passages (maybe because I majored in business and social science, thus familiar with such passages and find them easy to follow but since have limited acquaintance with scientific passages, find the, challenging). Would appreciate if someone could recommend me to improve (I do read scientific texts these days but they dont seem to help). Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: In 1955 Maurice Duverger published The Political Role of Women, the fi [#permalink]
For the last question, why the answer could not be C?

(C) Focused on political activism.

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anand.prakash90@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks

Wait, what focused on political activism? To be clear on what this choice is saying, let's look at the question one more time:

Quote:
95. The author implies that some behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study did which of the following?

This is quite specific. We're looking for a piece of the passage that tells us what was done by behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study.

The first paragraph tells explicitly that Duverger's study analyzed political activism, among other patterns among women. But the question didn't ask about Duverger's study. Again, it asked us about behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study.

The passage actually says next to nothing about this narrow category of research. The only place where the author gives us a hint about it is at the very end of the passage:

"Given this failure, Duverger's study foreshadowed the enduring limitations of the behavioralist approach to the multinational study of women's political participation.

Here, the author names the specific type of research we were asked about. And by saying that Duverger's study foreshadowed enduring limitations of this approach, the author implies that this research followed Duverger's study... and ultimately faced limitations that endured from that previous study.

Choice (B) is a great match for this information because it tells us that behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study "suffered from faults similar to those in Duverger's study."

Choice (C), on the other hand, isn't supported by the passage at all. That's why we eliminate (C) and stick with (B).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Duverger???s research findings were that women voted somewhat less frequently than men (the difference narrowing the longer women had the vote) and were slightly more conservative.
What does the phrase within parentheses mean?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
parthgohel wrote:
Duverger???s research findings were that women voted somewhat less frequently than men (the difference narrowing the longer women had the vote) and were slightly more conservative.
What does the phrase within parentheses mean?

Hello, parthgohel. The answer to your question would certainly help make sense of question 94, or the fifth question of the set. The main clause indicates that women voted somewhat less frequently than men. For the sake of simplicity, we can attach numbers to these words. Say that in Country X, 40 percent of eligible women voted, while 45 percent of eligible men voted. Now, moving into the parenthetical, the difference would be a 5 percent gap between voting women and men. According to the latter part of the parenthetical, the longer women had the vote—i.e. the right to vote—the more that gap started to close. Getting back to Country X, perhaps women had had the right to vote for, say, 20 years. By comparison, Country Y could have extended the right to vote to women for maybe 30 years. In Country Y, then, the voting gap would be expected to be less than 5 percent between women and men, even if the overall turnout was lower. To illustrate, we can say that in Country Y, 20 percent of eligible women voted, while 23 percent of eligible men voted. The gap in question would now be 3 percent and would conform to the information in the parenthetical.

I hope that helps answer your question. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja egmat

I would like to ask about Q#1

P1: What is the MD's research, his methodology and result
P2: Starting with good point of his research, then I feel like author is trying to give the information to reader that MD's finding is not good one because blah blah

So I was thinking between (1) evaluate or (2) reinterpret and ended up with (2) reinterpret which is the wrong one.
Could you help to clarify the difference between these 2 words?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [1]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Bookmarks
Foi2Evei2 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja egmat

P2: Starting with good point of his research, then I feel like author is trying to give the information to reader that MD's finding is not good one because blah blah

So I was thinking between (1) evaluate or (2) reinterpret and ended up with (2) reinterpret which is the wrong one.

Dear Foi2Evei2
you are perfectly summarized P1& P2 .
In short,
P1 - New approach of MD for research.
P2 - Pros and Cons.

Let us regard the option D
(D) reinterpret old research findings

The term "reinterpret" signifies to provide a different interpretation.

Does P1 reinterpret findings? No, it is mere an outline of some findings concerning M & M voting's patterns.
Does P2 reinterpret them? No, it just highlighted +/- of MD's research. In other words, author evaluated MD's research.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 1

Foi2Evei2 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja egmat

BLTN is on the right track! Here are our two cents, in case it's useful to hear it another way:

The question asks us about the primary purpose of the passage. In other words, why did the author write the passage as a whole?

In the first paragraph, the author introduces the work of a researcher. In the second paragraph, the author discusses what was good about that work (the approach), and what was bad about that work (the actual findings).

Which answer choice captures this purpose?
Quote:
(A) evaluate a research study

Yup, the author discusses the good and bad bits of a research study. This fits perfectly with the word "evaluate," which means "to judge or assess."

Keep (A).

Quote:
(D) reinterpret old research findings

Hmm. To "interpret" something is to to explain the meaning of that thing. So, to "re interpret" something, there would need to be an initial interpretation, and then the author would have to disagree with that interpretation and offer his/her own thoughts.

That's not really what happens in this passage. In the first paragraph, the author explains the approach/findings of the researcher -- but doesn't really provide an initial interpretation of those results. So, we can't say that the second paragraph offers a reinterpretation.

In addition, the author's purpose isn't the "explain the meaning" of the researcher's work. Instead, the author discusses the validity of that work -- which pieces were good, and which were not so good? "Evaluate" is just a much better word to describe this purpose.

(D) is out, and (A) is the correct answer to question 1.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
In 1955 Maurice Duverger published The Political Role of Women, the fi [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja,

Can you please explain if " The longer the women had the vote means exactly the same as The longer the women had the right to vote?

GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Can you please explain why OA for Q91 is E and not C ?

mynamegoeson did wonderfully here, but it's a good question, so here's another crack at it. :)

The answer to this question lies in the last sentence of the first paragraph: "Duverger’s research findings were that women voted somewhat less frequently than men (the difference narrowing the longer women had the vote)".

In other words, women voted less frequently than men, but the more time that had passed since women obtained the right to vote, the smaller the difference between the voting rate of men and the voting rate of women was in one of those countries. Thus, "the voting rates of women and men were most different in the country in which women had possessed the right to vote for the shortest time" (E).

The author makes no connection between levels of women's political activism and the difference in voting rates of women and men, so (A) can be eliminated.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATaxe001 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Can you please explain if " The longer the women had the vote means exactly the same as The longer the women had the right to vote?

GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Can you please explain why OA for Q91 is E and not C ?

mynamegoeson did wonderfully here, but it's a good question, so here's another crack at it. :)

The answer to this question lies in the last sentence of the first paragraph: "Duverger’s research findings were that women voted somewhat less frequently than men (the difference narrowing the longer women had the vote)".

In other words, women voted less frequently than men, but the more time that had passed since women obtained the right to vote, the smaller the difference between the voting rate of men and the voting rate of women was in one of those countries. Thus, "the voting rates of women and men were most different in the country in which women had possessed the right to vote for the shortest time" (E).

The author makes no connection between levels of women's political activism and the difference in voting rates of women and men, so (A) can be eliminated.

That's correct. The statement that women "had the vote" means the same things as saying that women "had the right to vote." In the first statement, the word "right" is left out, but it is definitely implied.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi,

For questions similar to last one, how to identify the nuances in such a dense text like this last sentence in passage which is

Quote:
Given this failure, Duverger’s study foreshadowed the enduring limitations of the behavioralist approach to the multinational study of women’s political participation.

I mean this sentence has so much packed in, I couldnt see that the followers also made same errors and I was just focusing on Duvergers study foreshadowed behavioral studies that followed and due to time constraints I dint even consider that it foreshadowed in a wrong way from the words("Given the failure")

Any suggestions to unpack such dense text would greatlyy help me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
anand.prakash90@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks

Wait, what focused on political activism? To be clear on what this choice is saying, let's look at the question one more time:

Quote:
95. The author implies that some behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study did which of the following?

This is quite specific. We're looking for a piece of the passage that tells us what was done by behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study.

The first paragraph tells explicitly that Duverger's study analyzed political activism, among other patterns among women. But the question didn't ask about Duverger's study. Again, it asked us about behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study.

The passage actually says next to nothing about this narrow category of research. The only place where the author gives us a hint about it is at the very end of the passage:

"Given this failure, Duverger's study foreshadowed the enduring limitations of the behavioralist approach to the multinational study of women's political participation.

Here, the author names the specific type of research we were asked about. And by saying that Duverger's study foreshadowed enduring limitations of this approach, the author implies that this research followed Duverger's study... and ultimately faced limitations that endured from that previous study.

Choice (B) is a great match for this information because it tells us that behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study "suffered from faults similar to those in Duverger's study."

Choice (C), on the other hand, isn't supported by the passage at all. That's why we eliminate (C) and stick with (B).

Hi GMATNinja KarishmaB
IanStewart
MartyTargetTestPrep

We are given in the passage that "Duverger’s approach has proved more durable than his actual findings".

As per para 1, it is stated that political activism is one of his approaches towards his study. Since the author is stating that this approach "HAS PROVED" to be DURABLE, why cant we assume that author implies Option C.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Dear KittyDoodles
this is inference question,

Except:
Duverger’s discussion of his findings was hampered by his failure to consider certain specific factors important to women’s electoral participation at the time he collected his data: the influence of political regimes, the effects of economic factors, and the ramifications of political and social relations between women and men.
Given this failure, Duverger’s study foreshadowed the enduring limitations of the behavioralist approach to the multinational study of women’s political participation.

From the aforementioned excerpt we can conclude that the Duverger’s study has some limitations.
Yet, because "Given this failure, Duverger’s study foreshadowed the enduring limitations" we can infer that some other study suffered from similar issue.

Concerning the option C, passage does not provide information regarding the other researches.
Do not bring the information outside the passage :-)

Hope it helps :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hi Experts
In question no. 93, I agree with option C but I am not able to eliminate D
D) Flawed because they are based on unsound data
"In addition, Duverger???s discussion of his findings was hampered by his failure to consider certain specific factors important to women???s electoral participation at the time he collected his data:"

This snippet from passage suggests us that the data had various issues because he didn't considered some specific issues while collecting data.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32879 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
MukuDawra wrote:
Hi Experts
"In addition, Duverger???s discussion of his findings was hampered by his failure to consider certain specific factors important to women???s electoral participation at the time he collected his data:"

This snippet from passage suggests us that the data had various issues because he didn't considered some specific issues while collecting data.

Here you go.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-1955-maur ... l#p2404467

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to:
(A) evaluate a research study
The passage discusses Maurice Duverger's study on women's electoral participation and evaluates its strengths and limitations. It discusses the uniqueness of Duverger's study, acknowledges the early standard he set for analyzing women's electoral activities, and critiques his approach and findings.

2. According to the passage, Duverger's study was unique in 1955 in that it:
(A) included both election data and survey data
The passage states that Duverger's study was the first behavioralist, multinational comparison of women's electoral participation to use election data and survey data together. This was a unique aspect of his study at that time.

3. Which of the following characteristics of a country is most clearly an example of a factor that Duverger, as described in the passage, failed to consider in his study?
(D) A one-party government
The passage mentions that Duverger's discussion of his findings was hampered by his failure to consider certain specific factors important to women's electoral participation at the time he collected his data. The example given in the passage is the influence of political regimes. Therefore, a country with a one-party government is an example of a factor that Duverger failed to consider.

4. The author implies that Duverger's actual findings are:
(C) out-of-date in that they are inapplicable in the four countries today
The passage suggests that Duverger's approach to studying women's electoral participation has been more durable than his actual findings. It does not explicitly state that his findings are flawed or biased, but rather implies that the contexts and factors influencing women's electoral participation have changed over time. Therefore, his findings may be considered out-of-date and less applicable in the present-day context of the four countries analyzed in his study.

5. The passage implies that, in comparing four European countries, Duverger found that the voting rates of women and men were most different in the country in which women:
(E) had possessed the right to vote for the shortest time
The passage states that Duverger's research findings were that women voted somewhat less frequently than men, with the difference narrowing the longer women had the vote. Therefore, in the country where women had possessed the right to vote for the shortest time, the difference in voting rates between women and men would have been the most pronounced.

6. The author implies that some behavioralist research involving the multinational study of women's political participation that followed Duverger's study did which of the following?
(B) Suffered from faults similar to those in Duverger's study
The passage suggests that Duverger's study foreshadowed the enduring limitations of the behavioralist approach to the multinational study of women's political participation. Therefore, the author implies that some subsequent behavioralist research suffered from faults similar to those found in Duverger's study, suggesting that the limitations persisted in later studies.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 4

MukuDawra wrote:
Hi Experts

Your analysis of (D) raises a good question: what does it mean to say that Duverger's findings were "based on unsound data," as described in question 4?

Quote:
4. The author implies that Duverger’s actual findings are

(D) flawed because they are based on unsound data

To answer that question, let's consider what actual data Duverger uses. According to the first paragraph, Duverger's research uses "election data and survey data together." So the question becomes -- was this data itself "unsound?" Or does the author have some other problem with Duverger's findings?

The second paragraph answers this question. In the third sentence of that paragraph, we learn that Duverger's "discussion of his findings" was "hampered by his failure to consider certain specific factors important to women’s electoral participation at the time he collected his data." Notice this doesn't suggest that the data itself was unsound exactly. In other words, it doesn't suggest that the "election data" and "survey data" were inaccurate. Rather, Duverger's discussion of the data failed to consider certain economic and political factors that were important at the time.

Overall, since the passage doesn't suggest that Duverger's data itself was flawed, we can eliminate (D).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts