It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1960 s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 409 [2], given: 0

In 1960 s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2008, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:20) correct 45% (03:23) wrong based on 753 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 1960’s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding increases the number of attacks
among the animals significantly. But in recent experiments in which rhesus monkeys
were placed in crowded conditions, although there was an increase in instances of
“coping” behavior—such as submissive gestures and avoidance of dominant
individuals—attacks did not become any more frequent. Therefore it is not likely that,
for any species of monkey, crowding increases aggression as significantly as was seen in
rats.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions.

B. In the studies of rats, nondominant individuals were found to increasingly avoid dominant individuals when the animals were in crowded conditions.

C. Rhesus monkeys respond with aggression to a wider range of stimuli than any other monkeys do.

D. Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in significantly more attacks than the other monkeys were.

E. Some of the coping behavior displayed by rhesus monkeys is similar to behavior rhesus monkeys use to bring to an end an attack that has begun.

Please explain your answers.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 409 [2], given: 0

12 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 191 [12], given: 37

Re: Monkeys & Rats [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2011, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
Premise: Experimentation done on Rhesus monkeys
Conclusion:
For any species of monkey,crowding DOES NOT increases aggression as significantly as was seen in rats.

The argument is a weak one as the conclusion does not follow directly from the premises - The argument generalizes results found on Rhesus monkeys with what will happen to all other species monkeys.

C strengthens the argument by stating that Rhesus monkeys are the most aggressive ones; other species will not be any more aggressive. Hence the findings on Rhesus monkeys is the worst case scenario :).

Crick

Kudos [?]: 191 [12], given: 37

10 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 256 [10], given: 7

Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Re: In 1960’s studies of rat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2010, 14:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
What we have here is a "strengthen the conclusion" question. To strengthen a conclusion, you need to make one of the argument's underlying assumptions into a supporting premise by stating it explicitly. This argument is essentially:

1. Crowding leads to aggression in rats.
2. However, crowding does NOT lead to aggression in rhesus monkeys.
3. Therefore, crowding probably does NOT lead to aggression in monkeys the way it does in rats.

Statements 1 and 2 are premises. Statement 3 is our conclusion. The question you want to ask yourself is: "What assumption are they making in between statements 2 and 3?" That assumption is going to be the answer to this type of question.

In this example, you can't assume that the behavior of Rhesus monkeys would reflect the behavior of other monkeys. Although we could probably justify this statement if we watch a lot of Discovery Channel, we can't use that external knowledge on the GMAT. Answer choice C is a version of this assumption; it makes explicit the fact that rhesus monkeys are actually more aggressive than other monkeys. The natural next step of this chain of logic is that if crowding doesn't make rhesus monkeys act aggressively, it probably doesn't make any other monkeys act aggressively.

As a result, C is the best way to strengthen this conclusion. Hope that's helpful!

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 256 [10], given: 7

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8112 [8], given: 99

Re: In 1960 s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2013, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
eyunni wrote:
In 1960’s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding increases the number of attacks among the animals significantly. But in recent experiments in which rhesus monkeys were placed in crowded conditions, although there was an increase in instances of “coping” behavior—such as submissive gestures and avoidance of dominant individuals—attacks did not become any more frequent. Therefore it is not likely that, for any species of monkey, crowding increases aggression as significantly as was seen in rats.

(A) All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions.
(B) In the studies of rats, nondominant individuals were found to increasingly avoid dominant individuals when the animals were in crowded conditions.
(C) Rhesus monkeys respond with aggression to a wider range of stimuli than any other monkeys do.
(D) Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in significantly more attacks than the other monkeys were.
(E) Some of the coping behavior displayed by rhesus monkeys is similar to behavior rhesus monkeys use to bring to an end an attack that has begun.

fameatop wrote:
Hi Mike, I am not able to understand the logic presented in option (although i got the logic in Stimuli) & how come option (C) strengthens the argument? Can you kindly dispel my confusion. Waiting eagerly for your valuable inputs. Regards, Fame

First, I will say I find it a little unusual that no one seems to be able to identify the source of this question. Hmmm.

Because you ask about (C), I will simply address this. The argument is very tricky. First, it gives us evidence about rats. Then it gives us seemingly contradictory evidence about rhesus monkeys. Finally, it draws a conclusion, not about rhesus monkeys, but about all monkeys. Clearly, there's some important unstated link between what we know about rhesus monkeys specifically, and what we can conclude about all monkeys. Always look for these unstated links --- what apparent leap does the argument make between the evidence and the conclusion? This is an assumption of the argument, and it's absolutely core to the argument. See this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/arguments- ... -the-gmat/
Obviously, in a "find the assumption question", this is relevant. One of the best ways to strengthen an argument is to verify its assumption, and one of the best ways to attack an argument is to undercut its assumption. Right there, you have the three most common GMAT CR questions, and a single skill, finding the assumption, can help with all three.

Again, here the assumption has something to do with a link between how aggressive rhesus monkeys are and how aggressive other kinds of monkeys would be.

Choice (C) goes to the heart of this --- essentially, it says rhesus monkeys are way more aggressive than other kinds of monkeys. Therefore, if the overcrowding is not enough to provoke the pugnacious rhesus monkeys to aggression, then it would not be enough to provoke any of the less aggressive monkeys either.

Choice (C) affirms the assumption of the argument, so it is an ideal strengthener, and the best answer among these five.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8112 [8], given: 99

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 4474 [2], given: 360

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
C

In 1960’s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding increases the number of attacks
among the animals significantly. But in recent experiments in which rhesus monkeys
were placed in crowded conditions, although there was an increase in instances of
individuals—attacks did not become any more frequent. Therefore it is not likely that,
for any species of monkey, crowding increases aggression as significantly as was seen in
rats.

The assumption: Result for rhesus monkeys means the same result for any species of monkey

C. Rhesus monkeys respond with aggression to a wider range of stimuli than any other monkeys do.
Only C relates Rhesus monkeys to any other monkeys

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Kudos [?]: 4474 [2], given: 360

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 00:12
This post received
KUDOS
A for me

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
walkers explanation seems correct..whats the OA?

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 313 [1], given: 7

WE 1: 4 years in IT
In 1960 s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2010, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rats.
A. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys
living in uncrowded conditions.
B. In the studies of rats, nondominant individuals were found to increasingly avoid
dominant individuals when the animals were in crowded conditions.
C. Rhesus monkeys respond with aggression to a wider range of stimuli than any
other monkeys do.
D. Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in significantly more
attacks than the other monkeys were.
E. Some of the coping behavior displayed by rhesus monkeys is similar to behavior
rhesus monkeys use to bring to an end an attack that has begun.

Kudos [?]: 313 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 29

WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Re: Monkeys & Rats [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2011, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
Ans-C,

The conclusion is-Therefore it is not likely that, for any species of monkey,
crowding increases aggression as significantly as was seen in rats.

C.Rhesus monkeys respond with aggression to a wider range of stimuli than any other monkeys do-Option C indicates that Rhesus are those species of monkey which respond with agression the most but these species did not show much agression in crowded conditions. Hence it implies that other species would also not respond that much.

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 29

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [1], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 20:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 515 [1], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 00:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rs47 wrote:
Hi OptimusPrepJanielle, thanks a lot for the response.. Just a small query, how did you arrive at the following premise?

"2. Rhesus monkeys are the most aggressive in nature"

Thanks in advance..

Hi rs47,

I think my language made you misunderstand my response. Sorry for that.
The points 1 2 and 3 are the flow of thoughts (taking into account the option C) which I have written before hand and then 4th point restates the assumption.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 515 [1], given: 23

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 346 [1], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
eyunni wrote:
rats.

A. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions.

B. In the studies of rats, nondominant individuals were found to increasingly avoid dominant individuals when the animals were in crowded conditions.

D. Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in significantly more attacks than the other monkeys were.

E. Some of the coping behavior displayed by rhesus monkeys is similar to behavior rhesus monkeys use to bring to an end an attack that has begun.

Please explain your answers.

C is the correct answer.

Amongst all types of monkeys rhesus monkey respond aggressively to a wide range of things. Now it means they get angry often and get angry on a lots of things. They are the angriest of all monkeys. Now if the angriest of all (these rhesus) did not responded aggressively to crowding, the other varieties of monkeys which are comparatively more milder and gentler then rhesus will not also respond to the crowding.

An analogy will be IF a gladiator someone can fight with a ferocious tiger without any fear then it is logical to think that he would NOT be afraid to fight with a goat. Similarly if over crowding is not making rhesus (who gets violent easily) aggressive, then other monkeys might not get aggressive either .

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 346 [1], given: 36

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2008, 09:31
Correct. OA is C.

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2008, 00:12
Conclusion: For any species of monkey, increase in crowding wasn’t caused aggression as significantly as was seen in rats.

A. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions. [Argument deals with crowding vs. aggression behavior. - This is irrelevant to the argument.]

B. In the studies of rats, nondominant individuals were found to increasingly avoid dominant individuals when the animals were in crowded conditions. [The argument deals with any species of monkeys and with crowding vs. aggression behavior. - This is irrelevant to the argument.]

C. Rhesus monkeys respond with aggression to a wider range of stimuli than any other monkeys do. (Hold it)

D. Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in significantly more attacks than the other monkeys were. [This is not about individual monkeys in experiment – Eliminate it]

E. Some of the coping behavior displayed by rhesus monkeys is similar to behavior rhesus monkeys use to bring to an end an attack that has begun.[This argument is not about coping behavior displayed by rhesus monkeys – eliminate it]

Answer: C

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1462 [0], given: 40

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2010, 05:10
This is was tough for me. I marked E as C makes a comparison b/w rhesus monkey with other monkeys while the argument seems not to :(

Kudos [?]: 1462 [0], given: 40

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:37
ykaiim wrote:
This is was tough for me. I marked E as C makes a comparison b/w rhesus monkey with other monkeys while the argument seems not to :(

Quote:
Therefore it is not likely that,
rats.

Read the stem carefully - it says- ANY species of monkey - this should immediately alert you that from ONE species of monkey (rhesus), the author is generalizing to ALL species of monkeys. Thus there should be something so generally true or so all-encompassing about rhesus monkey that the generalization should hold to other monkeys as well.

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2010, 01:06
Thanks Brett. I was looking for an answer that stated something about the study on other types of monkeys. So i struggled to find the right answer.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2010, 01:20
(C) definately makes sense and strengthen the argument. But I am wondering that (A) also strengthens the argument by saying that all the "cpoing" behaviours are found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions. Because if that is not the case, it simply means that the attacking nature has got increased.

@Brett, can you please through some light on this?

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 33

WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2010, 06:57
A good question....I pre-phased that rhesus monkeys must represent all other monkey types. If this would have been the case, it strengthens the argument considerably.
clear +1 for C :)

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 33

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 7

Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2010, 07:34
syog,

(A) gives us more information about rhesus monkeys: In crowded conditions, they cope in specific ways other than becoming aggressive. However, this only helps us better understand this particular species of monkey. We still have no idea whether this species is typical.

The goal with strengthening the conclusion questions is to understand which does the MOST to strengthen the conclusion. With (C) we can clearly see the strengthening. With (A) we have to tell ourselves a story to strengthen the argument: "Rhesus monkeys don't show aggression. They don't show aggression because they have other ways of coping, such as acting submissive. Since the rhesus monkey has an alternative to aggression, other monkeys probably do also."

Notice how this "story" we have to tell ourselves contains its own assumptions that still need to be overcome. Thus, although (A) might strengthen a bit, it doesn't strengthen the most.

Does that help?

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 7

Re: In 1960’s studies of rat   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2010, 07:34

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 52 posts ]