Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51448 [68]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [7]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [7]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [6]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: In 1971, pioneering journalist Helen Thomas, who the National Press Cl [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
In 1971, pioneering journalist Helen Thomas, who the National Press Club had just elected as their first female member, delivered an inspirational speech to the Club’s male members when they gathered to congratulate her after the votes were counted.

(A) who the National Press Club had just elected as their first female member

(B) whom the National Press Club just elected as its first female member

(C) who had just been elected by the National Press Club as its first female member

(D) whom the National Press Club elected as its first female member

(E) who the National Press Club had just elected as their first female member

[textarea][align=center]Day 5 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer

The who v. whom dichotomy only rules out A and E. Each of them is describing "Helen Thomas", but "who" is the subject form (she is performing the action) and "whom" is the object form (she is the object of the action). This is different than active v. passive. Let's take a look at B and C, which both use it correctly, and then A, which doesn't:

• (B) whom the National Press Club just elected as its first female member

Here, "whom" is referring to Helen Thomas as the object of the action. "The national Press Club" is the subject of the verb "elected". In other words, this clause is "The National Press Club just elected (her) as its first female member". The use of "whom" is correct here.

• (C) who had just been elected by the National Press Club as its first female member

Here, "who" is referring to Helen Thomas as the subject of the action. In other words, this clause is "(She) had just been elected by the National Press Club as its first member". The use of "who" is correct here.

• (A) who the National Press Club had just elected as their first female member

Here, "who" is referring to Helen Thomas as the subject of the action. That means she must have just done the act of electing someone or something. This creates a problem, because the verb "had ... elected" already has a subject, "the National Press Club". The use of "who" is incorrect here.

• Let's make another answer that incorrectly uses "whom": (F) whom had just been elected by the National Press Club as its first female member

Here, "whom" is referring to Helen Thomas as the object of the action. This creates a problem because we now don't have a subject for "had ... been elected".

Review: What we see here is that it is possible to use both "who" and "whom" in the same modifier to describe the same person, but you must then switch the verb from active to passive to make sure that "who" describes the person as a subject and "whom" describes the person as the object. One neat little trick here is to replace "who" with another subject pronoun, such as "she" or "he". If it works with the sentence because it is the subject of the verb (i.e. there is no other competing subject), then it is proper. If you have "whom", replace it with an object pronoun, such as "her" or "him", and place it after the verb as an object. If it works with the sentence because there is a subject doing the action, then it is proper. Of course, also check the meaning.

Another example of a question with such a fake who/whom split is OG 12 SC #1 (though, all versions of "who" and "whom" work in that problem). Honestly, the GMAT doesn't seem to test pronoun case all that often, so be careful that any differences aren't there just to make you think that one is a problem (the GMAT likes to offer alternate options that are still okay to try to trick you).

So what about this question then?

A and E are wrong because "who", which makes "Helen Thomas" a subject, is followed by a different subject.

B and D aren't horrible (and whether or not "just" is there isn't that big of an issue, even though it should probably be kept), but they both lack the clear time marker of the past perfect verb ("had ... (been) elected").

C is correct because "had ... been elected" makes the order of the events very clear. First, she was elected, and then afterwards she delivered. Yes, it is obvious to the reader that the events are in this order, but you should still use the past perfect to make it clear grammatically. Why else do we even have verb tense? Otherwise, we would just say "I do the action yesterday".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 240
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: In 1971, pioneering journalist Helen Thomas, who the National Press Cl [#permalink]
Kudos
itzmyzone911 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Quote:
In 1971, pioneering journalist Helen Thomas, who the National Press Club had just elected as their first female member, delivered an inspirational speech to the Club’s male members when they gathered to congratulate her after the votes were counted.

(C) who had just been elected by the National Press Club as its first female member

A lot of students debate on the word "just" or the tense of this question. But this is not necessary at all to solve this really nice question.

Keep in mind qhen you read the sentence who is the subject ?? a female -----> so who

Who then delivered a nice speech ?? the same female. As such, the same female must have a passive role: she must be elected by X and NOT the other way around: she undergoes the action by X

Therefore, in 20 seconds you can solve this question without notice anything else.

An even faster approach is this: the club can not bring with it the possessive their, we must have its. So A and E are out.

B C and D: the subject is her, so who . C is left and must be the right answer

Hope this help

Hey carcass,

(Bumping in!)..I personally do not agree that C is the right answer. And even if it were then definitely not for the reasons quoted.

1. Let’s consider a few cases from our very own GC Ultimate Grammar book. (pg. 107)

Robin Williams is funny. The world adores Robin Williams.
Combined: Robin Williams, whom the world adores, is funny.
Alternate: Robin Williams, who is adored by the world, is funny.

The girl is pretty. Jerry likes the girl.
Combined: The girl, whom Jerry likes, is pretty.
Alternate: The girl, who is liked by Jerry, is pretty.

Upon analyzing, it can be seen, that though perhaps correct grammatically, the alternate forms (formed as per quoted explanation) are definitely not as stylistically superior as the combined forms (as stated in the GC book).Point is that D cannot be ruled out on grounds of employing ‘whom’ over ‘who’ (in this question). A subjective issue, it is rather a matter of choice (concision in GMAT) to opt for either of the two forms in informal language in a similarly structured sentence.

Going ahead, as rightly pointed out by you, Thomas is undergoing action by the Club, a fact that very conspicuously implies that Thomas is actually the object of the action verb ‘elected’ (performed by the Club) in the intermediate independent clause. Break the sentence and it should become clear.

A. In 1971, pioneering journalist Helen Thomas delivered an inspirational speech to the Club’s male members when they gathered to congratulate her after the votes were counted.
B. The National Press Club had just elected (whom? =object of ‘elected’) Thomas as its first female member.

2. I guess, the usage of ‘had’ to imply past perfect in C is also redundant. The fact that Thomas delivered speech AFTER the votes were counted is itself enough to justify the occurrence of she being elected BEFORE delivering the speech. The correct sentence could do without 'had'.

According to me, these considerations make D a better GMAT candidate than C.

Shall be glad to know your thoughts though….

In full agreement with itzmyzone911 and I also DO NOT think that this is regarding the use of "who" vs "whom". Also , as per the timeline provided , the first logical action would be that votes' counting ,then Helen thomas was elected and after that she delivered the famous speech. If we mind this timeline, then is should be that the votes HAD BEEN counted (only after complete counting can she be elected) and then she was elected and finally delivered her speech .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [3]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
itzmyzone911 wrote:
mmagyar wrote:

B and D aren't horrible (and whether or not "just" is there isn't that big of an issue, even though it should probably be kept), but they both lack the clear time marker of the past perfect verb ("had ... (been) elected").

C is correct because "had ... been elected" makes the order of the events very clear. First, she was elected, and then afterwards she delivered. Yes, it is obvious to the reader that the events are in this order, but you should still use the past perfect to make it clear grammatically. Why else do we even have verb tense? Otherwise, we would just say "I do the action yesterday".

The comment as I have highlighted in the quote is plain wrong.

Refer (example and related comments as below (in blue)) MGMAT SC Chp. 7 pg. 108

Right: Laura LOCKED the deadbolt before she LEFT for work.

We already know that locked happens before left because of the word before. The words 'before' and 'after' indicate the sequence of events clearly and emphatically enough to make the use of the Past Perfect unnecessary.

Likewise, the usage of 'had' in our sentence can definitely be done away with as it is PLAIN REDUNDANT. The sentence has the word 'after' as the time-marker to suggest the sequence of events, a fact I already pointed out in my earlier post.

I am sorry and I don't mean to come off as rude here, but I think you are wrong for two reasons.

1.) Assuming your understanding of past perfect is correct and that we must avoid redundancy in these situations, the actions in this example that are relevant to the analysis of using "had" in C are "elected" and then "delivered". She "had ... been elected" and then afterwards she "delivered" the speech. However, you are analyzing "after the votes were counted" and saying that the presence of "after" here shows the order of two other actions. That is wrong because it is about a different sequence of events.

The example you quoted from MGMAT (and see point #2 about that) says that you can use past instead of past perfect when "before" or "after" are present to obviously signal the order of events. However, "after" in this question only indicates that "they gathered" after the votes "were counted". This does not tell us about the order of events between "elected" and "delivered". Maybe votes were counted for something else, they congratulated her for something else, she delivered the speech, and then, afterwards, she was elected as the first female member of the National Press Club. While we all know that sequence is probably not the case, the order of events here is not very clear and is definitely not as clear as the example you gave from MGMAT. Therefore, including "had" is not redundant, as you keep saying, and instead nicely helps to clarify that she was elected first and then she delivered the speech.

2.) While it is permissive to use past simple in some cases in which the order of events is obvious, this is not required - using past perfect in these cases does not make it redundant. Let's look at some examples of correct answers from GMAT Prep:

• "Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses."
    galileo-did-not-invent-the-telescope-but-on-hearing-in-111155.html

Even though "on hearing" shows us an obvious order of events, GMAT still used past perfect "had been made"

• "Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gits."
    retailers-reported-moderate-gains-in-their-november-sales-108200.html

Even though "a year earlier" shows us a clear order of events, GMAT still preferred using "had been"

With very limited searching, I did not find a great example with "after" or "before", so I concede that I haven't fully proven that GMAT thinks it is okay to still use past perfect in these cases. However, I have never seen the GMAT consider an answer wrong for doing so. I suggest that you find an example of it on GMAT before worrying about it so much, mostly because I think such thinking will discourage you from properly choosing a past perfect answer when it is useful/needed (as happened here). That being said, I really am interested in seeing one if you find it, so please PM me if you do.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
powellmittra wrote:
Can someone please explain this question. I had a really hard time eliminating choices :'(

A. Wrong - Relative pronoun error. For referring to an object, the relative pronoun "whom" is used, not "who". The National Press had elected Helen Thomas. Helen Thomas is the object of this clause. hence "who" is the wrong relative pronoun here.

B. Wrong - tense error. The simple past tense "elected" is wrong. The action "electing" happened before another verb in the past "delivered". Hence past perfect "had elected" is required in order to depict that the election occurred before the delivery of speech.

D. Wrong - Same error as B (tense error)

E. Wrong - Same error as A (relative pronoun error).

C. Correct - Since passive voice is used in the clause, Helen Thomas becomes the subject of the clause - therefore use of "who" is correct. Moreover the tense is past perfect (in passive form) - "had been elected". Thus both the errors (relative pronoun error and tense error) have been rectified in this option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
mmagyar wrote:

The comment as I have highlighted in the quote is plain wrong.

Refer (example and related comments as below (in blue)) MGMAT SC Chp. 7 pg. 108

Right: Laura LOCKED the deadbolt before she LEFT for work.

We already know that locked happens before left because of the word before. The words 'before' and 'after' indicate the sequence of events clearly and emphatically enough to make the use of the Past Perfect unnecessary.

Likewise, the usage of 'had' in our sentence can definitely be done away with as it is PLAIN REDUNDANT. The sentence has the word 'after' as the time-marker to suggest the sequence of events, a fact I already pointed out in my earlier post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
mmagyar wrote:
I am sorry and I don't mean to come off as rude here, but I think you are wrong for two reasons.

1.) Assuming your understanding of past perfect is correct and that we must avoid redundancy in these situations, the actions in this example that are relevant to the analysis of using "had" in C are "elected" and then "delivered". She "had ... been elected" and then afterwards she "delivered" the speech. However, you are analyzing "after the votes were counted" and saying that the presence of "after" here shows the order of two other actions. That is wrong because it is about a different sequence of events.

The example you quoted from MGMAT (and see point #2 about that) says that you can use past instead of past perfect when "before" or "after" are present to obviously signal the order of events. However, "after" in this question only indicates that "they gathered" after the votes "were counted". This does not tell us about the order of events between "elected" and "delivered". Maybe votes were counted for something else, they congratulated her for something else, she delivered the speech, and then, afterwards, she was elected as the first female member of the National Press Club. While we all know that sequence is probably not the case, the order of events here is not very clear and is definitely not as clear as the example you gave from MGMAT. Therefore, including "had" is not redundant, as you keep saying, and instead nicely helps to clarify that she was elected first and then she delivered the speech.

2.) While it is permissive to use past simple in some cases in which the order of events is obvious, this is not required - using past perfect in these cases does not make it redundant. Let's look at some examples of correct answers from GMAT Prep:

• "Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses."
    galileo-did-not-invent-the-telescope-but-on-hearing-in-111155.html

Even though "on hearing" shows us an obvious order of events, GMAT still used past perfect "had been made"

• "Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because their sales a year earlier had been so bad as because shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gits."
    retailers-reported-moderate-gains-in-their-november-sales-108200.html

Even though "a year earlier" shows us a clear order of events, GMAT still preferred using "had been"

With very limited searching, I did not find a great example with "after" or "before", so I concede that I haven't fully proven that GMAT thinks it is okay to still use past perfect in these cases. However, I have never seen the GMAT consider an answer wrong for doing so. I suggest that you find an example of it on GMAT before worrying about it so much, mostly because I think such thinking will discourage you from properly choosing a past perfect answer when it is useful/needed (as happened here). That being said, I really am interested in seeing one if you find it, so please PM me if you do.

Hmm that was an oversight on my part..my bad :oops:

The only verb that would have been impacted because of 'after' is 'counted'...'...after the votes had been counted'..Due to the presence of 'after', 'had been counted' can be conveniently replaced by 'counted'...but 'elected' cannot for the reasons cited by you

+1 kudos.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM

Club is singular so its is correct. not their
There are two past events here
1. Helen was elected as a member of National Press Club.
2. She gave a speech.

Past perfect tense is needed here. I selected C among B, C and D
Just elected changes the time-frame here and implies as if she got elected recently after she gave speech.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
Can someone please explain this question. I had a really hard time eliminating choices :'(
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts