It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 23

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 03:51
Can anyone explain the answer to question 1st/.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 03:53
Can anyone explain answer to the first question of this passage. Marked as Q32

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 19:01
Can any one explain why the answer for Question 32 is D instead of C .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge
In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 10:01
iliavko wrote:
I know it's useless to disagree with Official answers and all that, but please allow me,

Q32.

The official answer is D, but it says "When weather balloons indicate low air temperature and pressure." so, same level of temp and pressure.

according to the text,

"One source of error is refraction, the bending of light beams as they pass through air layers of different temperature and pressure. " so the refraction is the result of passing through DIFFERENT T and P, Therefore D just can't be correct here. ~

Am I missing something?

Hi, I would like to add my 2 cents on your concern. As per my understanding, (D) is not wrong, or if any, not wrong for the reason you cited.

First of all, in the passage: "One source of error is refraction, the bending of light beams as they pass through air layers of different temperature and pressure. ---> It is mentioned that temperature and pressure of one layer is different from those of another layer.

In option D: "When weather balloons indicate low air temperature and pressure." --->In my initial reading, I thought this sentence meant that there is a difference in air temperature and pressure of different layers. In more details, temperate and pressure of one layer is lower than those of another layer. That's why there is no inconsistence between option (D) and information given in the passage.

Btw, I've got this passage in GMATPrep practice but did not face with question no.1. And then when I attempted this question for the first time on this forum, I chose D. I must admit that IMHO this is a difficult question, but what surprised me the most is that almost everyone commented above argued for another option. I did bookmark this post to read further comments from experts.

Hi expert GMATNinja, could you share some thoughts on Question no.1? Thank you so much!

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 106

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 179 [1], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
Quite a controversial question. Though, my reasoning is more inclined towards answer choice C for the first problem. But, I still don't understand how come OA is D.

A -> not an issue
B -> type of air that would cause disturbance is not mentioned
D -> see B
E -> confuses info (see C)
C -> "To reduce refraction errors, the Chinese team carried in sea level to within five to twelve miles of Everest’s summit, decreasing the amount of air that light passed through on its way to their theodolites." so they needed to get close to get a good measurement.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 179 [1], given: 855

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 03:43
Hi GMATNinja ,

Can you please put some light on the first question. It seems that option C makes sense but the OA is D.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 03:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap