Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [43]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [6]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1103 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII's ship Mary [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
hfbamafan wrote:
In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which, having sunk in 1545, with more than 17,000 artifacts on board, everything from arrows and longbows to a barber-surgeon's chest containing items commonly used by sixteenth-century medics.

A)In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which, having sunk in 1545, with more than 17,000 artifacts on board,
B)Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose sank in 1545 and, recovered by archaeologists in 1982, they found more than 17,000 artifacts on board,
C)When Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose sank in 1545 and, was recovered in 1982, archaeologists found more than 17,000 artifacts on board,
D)Having sunk in 1545, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists, finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, with
E)Finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which sank in 1545, was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists and it had

Sorry there was an error in answer choice C now it should be right.

Hi

Please edit your answer C to avoid sensless discussions.

Here is the correct version of C

C)When Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which sank in 1545 and, was recovered in 1982, archaeologists found more than 17,000 artifacts on board,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Thank you James. This reminds me.... "Best does not mean ideal" - quote MGMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
sdas wrote:
Thank you James. This reminds me.... "Best does not mean ideal" - quote MGMAT

There is one more quote "Awful is neither best nor ideal."

All the options are just awful. C is a grammatical nightmare.
C) When Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose sank in 1545 and, was recovered in 1982, archaeologists found more than 17,000 artifacts on board,

It can be rephrased as
When X sank in 1545 and, was recovered in 1982, archaeologists found Y on board.

Now due to the use of words "When" and "and", it is clear that the 1st two clauses are not modifiers. Also the 2 clauses are not independent clauses.
So the only reason to have the conjunction "and" is to separate a list and whenever there is a list in a sentence then each of the list items individually must make sense in the sentence.

When X sank in 1545 archaeologists found Y on board. - Incorrect
When X was recovered in 1982 archaeologists found Y on board. - Correct

The 1st sentence makes no sense at all. How could the archaeologists have found something on board a ship when it sank. Sounds more like the job of a rescue/salvage team :lol: .

If we get rid of "and", the sentence becomes worse When X sank in 1545, was recovered in 1982, archaeologists found Y on board.
What is the role of "was recovered in 1982". It's like saying "When something happened, something else happened, someone found something".
This is how a 2 year old speaks.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which, having sunk in 1545, with more than 17,000 artifacts on board, everything from arrows and longbows to a barber-surgeon's chest containing items commonly used by sixteenth-century medics.

A)In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which, having sunk in 1545, with more than 17,000 artifacts on board, --- which should introduce clause.
B)Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose sank in 1545 and, recovered by archaeologists in 1982, they found more than 17,000 artifacts on board, --- modifier error
C)When Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which sank in 1545, was recovered in 1982, archaeologists found more than 17,000 artifacts on board, --- grammar + meaning fine
D)Having sunk in 1545, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists, finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, with --- -ing modifier incorrectly used.
E)Finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which sank in 1545, was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists and it had -- opening modifier is modifying Ship, such modification is nonsensical.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [2]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII‘s ship Mag Rose, which having sunk in 1545 with more than artifacts on board, everything from arrows and longbows to a barber-surgeon's chest containing items commonly used by sixteenth-century medics.

A) In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII‘s ship Mary Rose, which, having sunk in 1545, with more than 17,000 artifacts on board,
-> Wrong modifier. "Sunk in 1545" would be a proper modifier

B) Henry ship Mary Rose sank in 1545 and, recovered by archaeologists in 1982, they found more than 17,000 artifacts on board,
-> " recovered by archaeologists in 1982" seems to modify "they". " recovered by archaeologists in 1982" will not be modifying "ship" as we have "and" in between.

C) When Henry ship Mary Rose, which sank in 1545, was recovered in 1982, archaeologists found more than 17,000 artifacts on board, -> proper modifiers everywhere.
which modifies the closest noun ship.
when makes the first clause as dependent clause and properly joined with independent clause " archaeologists found more than 17,000 artifacts on board"

D) Having sunk in 1545, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists, finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, with
Having is redundant. "Sunk in 1545" will properly modify the ship.
finding modifies "archaeologists". so we can remove the modifier.
So the sentence becomes "Having sunk in 1545, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists with ". With work as adverbial modifier or subject modifier. in the first case, with seems to modify the verb - "recovered" which makes the sentence meaning less. In the 2nd case, with modifies "archaeologists" with doesn't make sense with rest of the sentence

E) Finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, Henry ship Mary Rose, which sank in 1545, was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists and it had
Finding is not modifying ship.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.75
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Could you please clarify this question and problem with E.
Thanks
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
kannu44 wrote:
Could you please clarify this question and problem with E.
Thanks

There seems to be some typographical errors in the question. They have now been rectified.

Option E is wrong because the modifier "Finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board" wrongly refers to "Henry VIII‘s ship Mary Rose", implying that the ship itself found artifacts on board.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I have a doubt regarding option B.

What is the antecedent of pronoun 'they'?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
warriorguy, the only possible antecedent for "they" in B is "archaeologists." Up to that point, it's the only plural noun in the sentence. However, there's a huge problem with that! Since "they" is preceded by the modifier "recovered by archaeologists in 1982," B is saying that the archaeologists were recovered by themselves! Archaeologists can recover a ship and they can recover artifacts, but I'm pretty sure they can't recover themselves, unless perhaps one of them is Indiana Jones. ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
(D) Having sunk in 1545, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists, finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, with

Can an expert clarifies this option please. I am struggling to understand whether the use of finding as a verb-ing is right.
As per the e-gmat course - there should be the same doer before and after the comma.

Who was finding? the archaeologist - who recovered ? the archaeologist.

Please confirm if the use of verb-ing here is correct? thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
'Finding' is unmistakably wrong in D and E.

'Finding' in D modifies the ship's recovery as if the act of recovery found the artifacts. It should b some researchers or human beings.

In E, 'finding' modifies the ship.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII's ship Mary [#permalink]
Nice question. I guess, being able to understand the structure of a sentence can be helpful here. To that end, being able to cut out the fluff may make it easier to judge whether the foundation of the answer choices still "works". Will be focusing on structure going forward, though I'm sure some of you see the possessive apostrophe issue as well :)

(A) In 1982, archaeologists recovered Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which, having sunk in 1545, with more than 17,000 artifacts on board, ---- Nope. A recovered M, which... what?

(B) Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose sank in 1545 and, recovered by archaeologists in 1982, they found more than 17,000 artifacts on board, ---- > M sank in 1545 and THEY(?)... I guess you could try to make an argument that THEY refers to archaeologists but the structure still doesn't hold.

(C) When Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which sank in 1545, was recovered in 1982, archaeologists found more than 17,000 artifacts on board, --->.... When A was recovered, B did.... Not bad.

(D) Having sunk in 1545, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists, finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, with ---- > On my V48 I got didn't get a single counted SC wrong. Even now, I still wonder if HAVING has this element of causation, though I'm not absolutely sure how the GMAT looks at it. The GMAT may only think of HAVING as referring to something that happened previously. In either event in terms of structure FINDING doesn't link well with the previous clause.

(E) Finding more than 17,000 artifacts on board, Henry VIII's ship Mary Rose, which sank in 1545, was recovered in 1982 by archaeologists and it had ---- The easy option to rule out. The ship didn't find anything. There is also a "is this really what the sentence would structurally want to say issue" with the usage of IT in that spot.

Ans. (C)

All the best.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts