It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 501

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

Location: MS
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2006, 20:35
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:27) correct 36% (01:34) wrong based on 443 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthritis and high blood pressure, in that order. The incidence rates for both arthritis and high blood pressure increase with age, but the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages. The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical conditions in the United States from the information given above?

A. Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000.

B. Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.

C. The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and2000.

D. Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987{#}

E. A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditionsmentioned above by the year 2000.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by carcass on 24 Jan 2017, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Edited and added the OA

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 1050

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 0

Location: CA
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2006, 21:54
C

Premise:

1. Incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages

2. The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000

Then the average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase.
_________________

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 24

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2006, 22:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(C) it is.

(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000. -- One never knows suddenly people start eating too much of salt and have high blood pressure. So this cant be concluded

(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000. -- again with the same reason given for (A).

(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and2000 -- Yeah this can be safely concluded provided all suffering from sinusitis do not die.

(D). Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987{#} --- Sounds weird.

(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditionsmentioned above by the year 2000. -- Cant be concluded.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2005
Posts: 567

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Location: Munich,Germany
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2006, 22:12
agree with TeHCM, its C

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 103

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Location: Barcelona
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2006, 16:12
C

Premise:



1. Incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages

2. Sinusitis is chronic illness.

3. The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Then the average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase.
_________________

...................................................................
reloading NEURON JELLY to reach another galaxy.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 1016

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2006, 16:49
C as well.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 501

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

Location: MS
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2006, 21:29
OA is C

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 266

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Location: Chennai,India
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2006, 13:13
i picked B :( !!! but i know its not right , thnks ppl
_________________

vazlkaiye porkalam vazltuthan parkanum.... porkalam maralam porkalthan maruma

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Posts: 281

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2006, 16:08
TeHCM wrote:
C

Premise:

1. Incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages

2. The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000

Then the average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase.


C does not consider the fact that some old sinussitis people will die and there place will be taken by others about to die.

Also new kids coming into the world could have sinusitis as well and replace those that gave grown up by 3 years.

I think if incidence of sinusitis is assumed to be constant then there should be no increase in the average age of people with sinusitis

Instead I would prefer A. Sinusitis will continue to be more common after three years


Is this a ETS question?

I dont think A also can be clearly concluded.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2892

Kudos [?]: 337 [0], given: 0

Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2006, 16:50
old_dream_1976 wrote:
TeHCM wrote:
C

Premise:

1. Incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages

2. The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000

Then the average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase.


C does not consider the fact that some old sinussitis people will die and there place will be taken by others about to die.

Also new kids coming into the world could have sinusitis as well and replace those that gave grown up by 3 years.


I think if incidence of sinusitis is assumed to be constant then there should be no increase in the average age of people with sinusitis

Instead I would prefer A. Sinusitis will continue to be more common after three years


Is this a ETS question?

I dont think A also can be clearly concluded.


This must be C.

The argument says "The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000".

If we consider your logic (Bold part above) then average age will not increase. Increase in average age means there are less deaths than births.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Kudos [?]: 337 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Posts: 281

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2006, 21:10
ps_dahiya wrote:
old_dream_1976 wrote:
TeHCM wrote:
C

Premise:

1. Incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages

2. The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000

Then the average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase.


C does not consider the fact that some old sinussitis people will die and there place will be taken by others about to die.

Also new kids coming into the world could have sinusitis as well and replace those that gave grown up by 3 years.


I think if incidence of sinusitis is assumed to be constant then there should be no increase in the average age of people with sinusitis

Instead I would prefer A. Sinusitis will continue to be more common after three years


Is this a ETS question?

I dont think A also can be clearly concluded.


This must be C.

The argument says "The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000".

If we consider your logic (Bold part above) then average age will not increase. Increase in average age means there are less deaths than births.


Ok now I get it. Thanks much.

I ignored the argument totally. Hope I avoid ignoring such details in future

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Posts: 259

Kudos [?]: 801 [3], given: 11

In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2010, 13:32
3
This post received
KUDOS
14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthritis and high blood pressure, in that order.
The incidence rates for both arthritis and high blood pressure increase with age, but the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages.
The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical conditions in the United States from the information given above?
(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000.
(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.
(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.
(D) Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.
(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.

I am having some difficulty in drawing conclusion questions. Please can some provide some helpful pointers to tackle such questions.. thanks.
_________________

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Kudos [?]: 801 [3], given: 11

VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1268

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 10

Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 04:11
ajit257 wrote:
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthritis and high blood pressure, in that order.
The incidence rates for both arthritis and high blood pressure increase with age, but the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages.
The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical conditions in the United States from the information given above?

(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000. - Not mentioned anywhere in the para. Eliminate.
(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000. - Eliminate
(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000. - Hold.
(D) Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987. - Eliminate.
(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000. - Chances of suffering from Arthritis or High BP might increase as the average age of the population increases. But this dosen't mean that the population will suffer from these two ailments too. - Eliminate

I am having some difficulty in drawing conclusion questions. Please can some provide some helpful pointers to tackle such questions.. thanks.


From the two statements marked in the argument one can infer C. Also,consider a sample of people of different ages. As the ages increase the average increases.Hence statement C is true.

I believe this will help.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Posts: 146

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 37

Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 15:38
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I vote for C since it is more logical than any other choices.
Between 87 to 2000 ppl having sinus will grow and their average age will also increase.
IMO C
_________________

Thanks,
VP

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7788

Kudos [?]: 18098 [8], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2010, 12:39
8
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ajit257 wrote:
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthritis and high blood pressure, in that order.
The incidence rates for both arthritis and high blood pressure increase with age, but the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages.
The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical conditions in the United States from the information given above?
(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000.
(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.
(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.
(D) Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.
(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.

I am having some difficulty in drawing conclusion questions. Please can some provide some helpful pointers to tackle such questions.. thanks.


One important point you need to understand to understand this question is the increase in average age of a population.
Lets say average age of US population is 40 yrs. (Add ages of all people and divide by the number of people). The average age need not increase with time (it can even reduce e.g. when life expectancy decreases; people live shorter lives; lots of new babies are born) If average age increases to 50 yrs, it means people are living longer lives or not many new babies are being born or both (a problem being faced by much of the developed world today)
So when we say average life increased, it is probably because there are more aged people.

Premises:
- In 1987 sinusitis most common chronic condition followed by arthritis and high blood pressure
- More arthritis and high blood pressure with age
- Incidence of sinusitis is the same for people of all ages
- Average age will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Let's refresh what we said about conclusion questions - should be implied from the argument and should give no new data.

(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000.
With increase in average age, we cannot say this. It is possible that other two become more common.

(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.
Definitely no reason to pick Arthritis out of the two - BP and Arthritis so no need to even think about it.

(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.
Since incidence of sinusitis is the same for all ages, we can conclude that the average age of a person suffering from Sinusitis is the same as the average age of the population. Since average age of population will increase, average age of people suffering from Sinusitis will also increase.

(D) Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.
Sinusitis does not depend on age so cannot be concluded.

(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.
No reason to conclude this.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18098 [8], given: 236

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 173

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 20

Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2010, 02:28
Premise:- The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

What above statement means- With increased avearage age, people live longer.
What it does not mean-There will be more elderly people overall. This is since there might be more babies born in the same period although deaths among adults are deferred, causing equalizer effect to the entire age group.

Thus, one can not conclude- "There will be more cases of old age diseases (Arthitis or high blood pressuire) compared to the all age disease- Sinusitis".
One can colclude- The overall increase in living age will result into increase in the number people with all age group disease which is Sinusitis.


Answer:- C

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 20

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 485

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2010, 03:45
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ajit257 wrote:
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthritis and high blood pressure, in that order.
The incidence rates for both arthritis and high blood pressure increase with age, but the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages.
The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical conditions in the United States from the information given above?
(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000.
(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.
(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.
(D) Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.
(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.

I am having some difficulty in drawing conclusion questions. Please can some provide some helpful pointers to tackle such questions.. thanks.


One important point you need to understand to understand this question is the increase in average age of a population.
Lets say average age of US population is 40 yrs. (Add ages of all people and divide by the number of people). The average age need not increase with time (it can even reduce e.g. when life expectancy decreases; people live shorter lives; lots of new babies are born) If average age increases to 50 yrs, it means people are living longer lives or not many new babies are being born or both (a problem being faced by much of the developed world today)
So when we say average life increased, it is probably because there are more aged people.


(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.
No reason to conclude this.

Karishma You said there are more aged people.
So the majority of the population is aged and the incidence of arthritis and high BP increases with age.Isnt this enough to conclude that A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7788

Kudos [?]: 18098 [2], given: 236

Location: Pune, India
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2010, 05:42
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mundasingh123 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ajit257 wrote:
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthritis and high blood pressure, in that order.
The incidence rates for both arthritis and high blood pressure increase with age, but the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages.
The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical conditions in the United States from the information given above?
(A) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthritis or high blood pressure in 2000.
(B) Arthritis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.
(C) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.
(D) Fewer people will suffer from sinusitis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.
(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.

I am having some difficulty in drawing conclusion questions. Please can some provide some helpful pointers to tackle such questions.. thanks.


One important point you need to understand to understand this question is the increase in average age of a population.
Lets say average age of US population is 40 yrs. (Add ages of all people and divide by the number of people). The average age need not increase with time (it can even reduce e.g. when life expectancy decreases; people live shorter lives; lots of new babies are born) If average age increases to 50 yrs, it means people are living longer lives or not many new babies are being born or both (a problem being faced by much of the developed world today)
So when we say average life increased, it is probably because there are more aged people.


(E) A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.
No reason to conclude this.

Karishma You said there are more aged people.
So the majority of the population is aged and the incidence of arthritis and high BP increases with age.Isnt this enough to conclude that A majority of the population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.



No. We do not know the current incidence of sinusitis, arthritis and high BP. The 'average age increases' implies either people live longer than before or no. of people who are aged are more than before or both, but it doesn't imply that majority of people are aged. 'Majority' means more than half. We have no data to conclude that more than half people will be aged. We also have no data to conclude that majority of people will have one of the given diseases e.g.

Sinusitis incidence - 10 in 100 people
Arthritis - 3 in 100 aged people
High BP - 2 in 100 aged people
When the population becomes more aged:
e.g. Sinusitis incidence - 10 in 100
Arthritis - 5 in 100 aged people
High BP - 3 in 100 aged people

Not every one who is aged, has to have one of these diseases.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18098 [2], given: 236

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 485

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2010, 08:13
Thanks karishma for the help
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1626

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 109

Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2010, 13:58
+1 C
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1138 [0], given: 109

Re: In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2010, 13:58

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 38 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.