GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1994 a team of scientists led by

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jul 2017
Posts: 36
CAT Tests
Re: In 1994 a team of scientists led by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 21:30
Hi all,

Any one can help me explain the answer of question 4. My answer is B, not E (OA). What is wrong in B? Why is E correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Status: Countdown Begins...
Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 305
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In 1994 a team of scientists led by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 23:50
Can anyone explain me Question - 5.

I was confused between option A and option B.
_________________

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1681
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: In 1994 a team of scientists led by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 19:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thingocanhnguyen wrote:
Hi all,

Any one can help me explain the answer of question 4. My answer is B, not E (OA). What is wrong in B? Why is E correct?

Quote:
4. The passage suggests that if a meteorite contained PAHs that were the result of terrestrial contamination, then one would expect which of the following to be true?

(A) The meteorite would have been on Earth for more than 13,000 years.
(B) The meteorite would have originated from a source other than Mars.
(C) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would have originated from nonbiological processes.
(D) The meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain.
(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface.

Refer to the following sentence: "McKay’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." The word "contrary" suggests that we would expect the opposite to be true if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination. In other words, if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. This matches choice (E).

This makes intuitive sense--imagine a huge ball of rock that lands on Earth with no PAHs. If the rock then becomes contaminated with PAHs while sitting on Earth for thousands of years, we would expect the contamination to affect the surface and then perhaps gradually seep in towards the center.

As for choice (B), if a meteorite contains PAHs that were a result of terrestrial contamination, then we would know nothing of its origin. Maybe it came from Mars, maybe it came from anywhere else in the galaxy. All we would know is that those terrestrial PAHs should not be viewed as evidence of LIFE wherever the meteorite came from. For example, if scientists could PROVE that the PAHs in ALH84001 were a result of terrestrial contamination, this would not change the generally accepted fact that ALH84001 came from Mars. It would simply mean that the PAHs are not evidence of life on Mars.

RMD007 wrote:
Can anyone explain me Question - 5.
Quote:
5. Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence of the first paragraph?

(A) It identifies a possible organic source for the PAHs found in ALH84001.
(B) It describes a feature of PAHs that is not shared by other types of organic molecules.
(C) It explains how a characteristic common to most meteorites originates.
(D) It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.
(E) It presents evidence that undermines the claim that life once existed on Mars.

I was confused between option A and option B.

The last sentence of the first paragraph is: "When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs." (a microbe is a microorganism).

So if you have microorganisms (i.e. bacteria) that die and decay, you'll often be left with PAHs. The presence of PAHs could be viewed as evidence that life may have existed. Thus, this sentence identifies a possible organic source (e.g. microbes) for the PAHs found in the ALH84001, as stated in choice (A).

As for choice (B), the sentence does not describe a FEATURE of PAHs or how PAHs differ from other types of organic molecules.

I hope that helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 530
In 1994 a team of scientists led by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 10:34
GMATNinja wrote:
thingocanhnguyen wrote:
Hi all,

Any one can help me explain the answer of question 4. My answer is B, not E (OA). What is wrong in B? Why is E correct?

Quote:
4. The passage suggests that if a meteorite contained PAHs that were the result of terrestrial contamination, then one would expect which of the following to be true?

(A) The meteorite would have been on Earth for more than 13,000 years.
(B) The meteorite would have originated from a source other than Mars.
(C) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would have originated from nonbiological processes.
(D) The meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain.
(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface.

Refer to the following sentence: "McKay’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." The word "contrary" suggests that we would expect the opposite to be true if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination. In other words, if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. This matches choice (E).

This makes intuitive sense--imagine a huge ball of rock that lands on Earth with no PAHs. If the rock then becomes contaminated with PAHs while sitting on Earth for thousands of years, we would expect the contamination to affect the surface and then perhaps gradually seep in towards the center.

As for choice (B), if a meteorite contains PAHs that were a result of terrestrial contamination, then we would know nothing of its origin. Maybe it came from Mars, maybe it came from anywhere else in the galaxy. All we would know is that those terrestrial PAHs should not be viewed as evidence of LIFE wherever the meteorite came from. For example, if scientists could PROVE that the PAHs in ALH84001 were a result of terrestrial contamination, this would not change the generally accepted fact that ALH84001 came from Mars. It would simply mean that the PAHs are not evidence of life on Mars.

RMD007 wrote:
Can anyone explain me Question - 5.
Quote:
5. Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence of the first paragraph?

(A) It identifies a possible organic source for the PAHs found in ALH84001.
(B) It describes a feature of PAHs that is not shared by other types of organic molecules.
(C) It explains how a characteristic common to most meteorites originates.
(D) It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.
(E) It presents evidence that undermines the claim that life once existed on Mars.

I was confused between option A and option B.

The last sentence of the first paragraph is: "When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs." (a microbe is a microorganism).

So if you have microorganisms (i.e. bacteria) that die and decay, you'll often be left with PAHs. The presence of PAHs could be viewed as evidence that life may have existed. Thus, this sentence identifies a possible organic source (e.g. microbes) for the PAHs found in the ALH84001, as stated in choice (A).

As for choice (B), the sentence does not describe a FEATURE of PAHs or how PAHs differ from other types of organic molecules.

I hope that helps!



Hello GMATNinja

i Refered to the following sentence: "McKa y’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." and chose D :-)

if concentration increases than it is from MARS, if contrary ---> if concentration decreasses, that means tha meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain ? no :? i was sure about my answer :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2013
Posts: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Re: In 1994 a team of scientists led by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 08:29
Timing: 7 minutes 14 second.
All correct answers. It seems like LSAT reading practice helps me a lot.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1681
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: In 1994 a team of scientists led by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 19:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dave13 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja

i Refered to the following sentence: "McKa y’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." and chose D :-)

if concentration increases than it is from MARS, if contrary ---> if concentration decreasses, that means tha meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain ? no :? i was sure about my answer :)

First of all, we do not know that it is from Mars just because concentration of PAHs increases with depth. If the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. However, just because this is NOT the case does not necessarily mean the meteorite is from Mars.

Also, how the concentration varies with depth does not tell us anything about the TOTAL amount of PAHs in the meteorite. For example, imagine one meteorite with PAHs from terrestrial contamination and, thus, a higher concentration of PAHs toward the surface. Another meteorite could have PAHs from organic molecules and a higher concentration towards the center. However, the TOTAL number of PAHs in the second meteorite could be less than, equal to, or greater than the total number of PAHs in the first meteorite.

Again, how the concentration varies with depth doesn't tell us anything about the TOTAL number of PAHs. The first meteorite (terrestrial contamination) might have MORE total PAHs than the second (PAHs formed from organic life). Based on the information in the passage, we have no idea whether (D) would be true.

I hope that helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: In 1994 a team of scientists led by   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2018, 19:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In 1994 a team of scientists led by

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.