GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 06:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

In 1994 a team of scientists led by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Re: In 1994 a team of scientists led by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 20:30
Hi all,

Any one can help me explain the answer of question 4. My answer is B, not E (OA). What is wrong in B? Why is E correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 22:50
Can anyone explain me Question - 5.

I was confused between option A and option B.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 18:07
thingocanhnguyen wrote:
Hi all,

Any one can help me explain the answer of question 4. My answer is B, not E (OA). What is wrong in B? Why is E correct?

Quote:
4. The passage suggests that if a meteorite contained PAHs that were the result of terrestrial contamination, then one would expect which of the following to be true?

(A) The meteorite would have been on Earth for more than 13,000 years.
(B) The meteorite would have originated from a source other than Mars.
(C) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would have originated from nonbiological processes.
(D) The meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain.
(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface.

Refer to the following sentence: "McKay’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." The word "contrary" suggests that we would expect the opposite to be true if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination. In other words, if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. This matches choice (E).

This makes intuitive sense--imagine a huge ball of rock that lands on Earth with no PAHs. If the rock then becomes contaminated with PAHs while sitting on Earth for thousands of years, we would expect the contamination to affect the surface and then perhaps gradually seep in towards the center.

As for choice (B), if a meteorite contains PAHs that were a result of terrestrial contamination, then we would know nothing of its origin. Maybe it came from Mars, maybe it came from anywhere else in the galaxy. All we would know is that those terrestrial PAHs should not be viewed as evidence of LIFE wherever the meteorite came from. For example, if scientists could PROVE that the PAHs in ALH84001 were a result of terrestrial contamination, this would not change the generally accepted fact that ALH84001 came from Mars. It would simply mean that the PAHs are not evidence of life on Mars.

RMD007 wrote:
Quote:
5. Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence of the first paragraph?

(A) It identifies a possible organic source for the PAHs found in ALH84001.
(B) It describes a feature of PAHs that is not shared by other types of organic molecules.
(C) It explains how a characteristic common to most meteorites originates.
(D) It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.
(E) It presents evidence that undermines the claim that life once existed on Mars.

The last sentence of the first paragraph is: "When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs." (a microbe is a microorganism).

So if you have microorganisms (i.e. bacteria) that die and decay, you'll often be left with PAHs. The presence of PAHs could be viewed as evidence that life may have existed. Thus, this sentence identifies a possible organic source (e.g. microbes) for the PAHs found in the ALH84001, as stated in choice (A).

As for choice (B), the sentence does not describe a FEATURE of PAHs or how PAHs differ from other types of organic molecules.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

VP
VP
D
In 1994 a team of scientists led by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 09:34
GMATNinja wrote:
thingocanhnguyen wrote:
Hi all,

Quote:
4. The passage suggests that if a meteorite contained PAHs that were the result of terrestrial contamination, then one would expect which of the following to be true?

(A) The meteorite would have been on Earth for more than 13,000 years.
(B) The meteorite would have originated from a source other than Mars.
(C) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would have originated from nonbiological processes.
(D) The meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain.
(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface.

Refer to the following sentence: "McKay’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." The word "contrary" suggests that we would expect the opposite to be true if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination. In other words, if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. This matches choice (E).

This makes intuitive sense--imagine a huge ball of rock that lands on Earth with no PAHs. If the rock then becomes contaminated with PAHs while sitting on Earth for thousands of years, we would expect the contamination to affect the surface and then perhaps gradually seep in towards the center.

As for choice (B), if a meteorite contains PAHs that were a result of terrestrial contamination, then we would know nothing of its origin. Maybe it came from Mars, maybe it came from anywhere else in the galaxy. All we would know is that those terrestrial PAHs should not be viewed as evidence of LIFE wherever the meteorite came from. For example, if scientists could PROVE that the PAHs in ALH84001 were a result of terrestrial contamination, this would not change the generally accepted fact that ALH84001 came from Mars. It would simply mean that the PAHs are not evidence of life on Mars.

RMD007 wrote:
Quote:
5. Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence of the first paragraph?

(A) It identifies a possible organic source for the PAHs found in ALH84001.
(B) It describes a feature of PAHs that is not shared by other types of organic molecules.
(C) It explains how a characteristic common to most meteorites originates.
(D) It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.
(E) It presents evidence that undermines the claim that life once existed on Mars.

The last sentence of the first paragraph is: "When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs." (a microbe is a microorganism).

So if you have microorganisms (i.e. bacteria) that die and decay, you'll often be left with PAHs. The presence of PAHs could be viewed as evidence that life may have existed. Thus, this sentence identifies a possible organic source (e.g. microbes) for the PAHs found in the ALH84001, as stated in choice (A).

As for choice (B), the sentence does not describe a FEATURE of PAHs or how PAHs differ from other types of organic molecules.

I hope that helps!

Hello GMATNinja

i Refered to the following sentence: "McKa y’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." and chose D :-)

if concentration increases than it is from MARS, if contrary ---> if concentration decreasses, that means tha meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain ? no :? i was sure about my answer :)
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Goizueta '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 07:29
Timing: 7 minutes 14 second.
All correct answers. It seems like LSAT reading practice helps me a lot.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 18:11
dave13 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja

i Refered to the following sentence: "McKa y’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." and chose D :-)

if concentration increases than it is from MARS, if contrary ---> if concentration decreasses, that means tha meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain ? no :? i was sure about my answer :)

First of all, we do not know that it is from Mars just because concentration of PAHs increases with depth. If the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. However, just because this is NOT the case does not necessarily mean the meteorite is from Mars.

Also, how the concentration varies with depth does not tell us anything about the TOTAL amount of PAHs in the meteorite. For example, imagine one meteorite with PAHs from terrestrial contamination and, thus, a higher concentration of PAHs toward the surface. Another meteorite could have PAHs from organic molecules and a higher concentration towards the center. However, the TOTAL number of PAHs in the second meteorite could be less than, equal to, or greater than the total number of PAHs in the first meteorite.

Again, how the concentration varies with depth doesn't tell us anything about the TOTAL number of PAHs. The first meteorite (terrestrial contamination) might have MORE total PAHs than the second (PAHs formed from organic life). Based on the information in the passage, we have no idea whether (D) would be true.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 07:32
GMATNinja wrote:
dave13 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja

First of all, we do not know that it is from Mars just because concentration of PAHs increases with depth. If the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. However, just because this is NOT the case does not necessarily mean the meteorite is from Mars.

Also, how the concentration varies with depth does not tell us anything about the TOTAL amount of PAHs in the meteorite. For example, imagine one meteorite with PAHs from terrestrial contamination and, thus, a higher concentration of PAHs toward the surface. Another meteorite could have PAHs from organic molecules and a higher concentration towards the center. However, the TOTAL number of PAHs in the second meteorite could be less than, equal to, or greater than the total number of PAHs in the first meteorite.

Again, how the concentration varies with depth doesn't tell us anything about the TOTAL number of PAHs. The first meteorite (terrestrial contamination) might have MORE total PAHs than the second (PAHs formed from organic life). Based on the information in the passage, we have no idea whether (D) would be true.

I hope that helps!

HI GMAT Ninja,

Could you explain why for question 3, B is wrong? The passage clearly said since this meteorite has been on earth for 13,00 years, which means PAHS might have been because pf terrestial contamination, which are nonbiological processes.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 08:11
bondtradercu wrote:
HI GMAT Ninja,

Could you explain why for question 3, B is wrong? The passage clearly said since this meteorite has been on earth for 13,00 years, which means PAHS might have been because pf terrestial contamination, which are nonbiological processes.

No problem, bondtradercu.

Quote:
3. The passage suggests that the fact that ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years has been used by some scientists to support which of the following
claims about ALH84001?

We need to confirm why scientists are referencing the amount of time that ALH84001 has been on Earth. Let's start with a close look at this part of the passage:

"...ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years, suggesting to some scientists that its PAHs might have resulted from terrestrial contamination.
  • terrestrial means "from Earth." In the passage itself, we've read that "Organic molecules...form the basis for terrestrial life."
  • If the PAHs ALH84001 resulted from terrestrial contamination, then these PAHs might not have been present in ALH84001 before it landed on Earth.

Consequently, the correct choice will be a claim suggesting that PAHs were not present in the meteorite until after it landed on Earth. This is directly in line with why the author brings up the number of years ALH84001 has been on Earth and what that fact implies to some scientists.

Quote:
(B) ALH84001 contains PAHs that are the result of nonbiological processes.

This choice is almost the opposite of what we're looking for. If ALHF84001 contains PAHs that result from non biological processes (like star formation), then it would follow that these PAHs were present in ALHF84001 before it landed on Earth. That's why we eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) ALH84001 may not have contained PAHs when it landed on Earth.

This choice is much more in line with what we've read, which is why it's the best answer choice.

Need an expert reply?

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In 1994 a team of scientists led by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 22:19
P1 - a rock found - Martian - organic + PAH
P2 - 2 opposition argument of P1 - evidence to break them.
main point - a theory is given and a debate an a topic is going on.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to:

(A) describe new ways of studying the possibility that life once existed on Mars - no
(B) revise a theory regarding the existence of life on Mars in light of new evidence - no; this one is little part of the passage.
(C) reconcile conflicting viewpoints regarding the possibility that life once existed on Mars - in part it is true, but those viewpoints were broken later that is not covered.
(D) evaluate a recently proposed argument concerning the origin of ALH84001 - very weak; also not evaluate of this argument.
(E) describe a controversy concerning the significance of evidence from ALH84001 - best of the lot.
-----------------------------------------

2. The passage asserts which of the following about the claim that ALH84001 originated on Mars?
multiple claims made in both p1 and p2.

(A) It was initially proposed by the McKay team of scientists. - no; it was known prior to that.
(B) It is not a matter of widespread scientific dispute. - yes; all accepted that it was from mars. no dispute there.
(C) It has been questioned by some skeptics of the McKay team’s work. - no one did that.
(D) It has been undermined by recent work on PAHs. - no.
(E) It is incompatible with the fact that ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years. - no.

-----------------------------------------
3. The passage suggests that the fact that ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years has been used by some scientists to support which of the following claims about ALH84001?
PT - That this rock must have contaminated by now.

(A) ALH84001 may not have originated on Mars. - no
(B) ALH84001 contains PAHs that are the result of nonbiological processes. - no
(C) ALH84001 may not have contained PAHs when it landed on Earth. - yes; should be best of the lot.
(D) The organic molecules found in ALH84001 are not PAHs. - no
(E) The organic molecules found in ALH84001 could not be the result of terrestrial contamination. - yes; but 13000 yes has nothing to do with this fact.

------------------------------------------

PT - from top to inside, contamination should decrease.

(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface. - yes

-------------------------------------------

last sentence - The organic molecules found in ALH84001 are poly cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or PAHs. When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs.

(A) It identifies a possible organic source for the PAHs found in ALH84001. - yes

-------------------------------------------

6. The passage suggests that McKay’s team would agree with which of the following regarding the PAHs produced by non organic processes?
Yet McKay’s team notes that the particular combination of PAHs in ALH84001 is more similar to the combinations produced by decaying organisms than to those originating from non biological processes.

(D) These PAHs are likely to be found in combinations that distinguish them from the PAHs produced by organic processes. - yes

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE: Other (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 04:21
8 Minutes , 35 Seconds , got 5 correct out of 6 . Q4 is a sneaky one !

Kudos if you agree , Comment if you don't !!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 1994 a team of scientists led by &nbs [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 04:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

In 1994 a team of scientists led by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap