Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools: ISB '23 (WL)
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [7]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In 1994, a team of scientists led by David McKay began studying the me [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 1

Laksh47 wrote:
Could someone please explain why option C of Question 1 is incorrect?

Thanks

Before we get to (C), let’s first consider the purpose of each of the paragraph. In the first paragraph, the author introduces a meteorite and a theory, formulated by McKay, that the meteorite contains evidence that life once existed on Mars. Then, in the second paragraph, the author describes some pushback to McKay’s theory and the responses given by McKay’s team.

The question asks that we identify the primary purpose of the passage. With that in mind, here’s (C):

Quote:
(C) reconcile conflicting viewpoints regarding the possibility that life once existed on Mars

(C) suggests that the passage is primarily concerned with whether life once existed on Mars. The problem is that the passage is not concerned with whether life once existed on Mars. Rather, it’s focused on whether ALH84001 provides evidence of life on Mars. It’s possible that ALH84001 doesn’t provide evidence, but life still existed on Mars.

The other issue is that the passage does not reconcile the conflicting viewpoints in the final paragraph. It presents those viewpoints, but it does not make them compatible with one another.

For those two reasons, we can eliminate (C).

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HEC MiM "24
Send PM
Re: In 1994, a team of scientists led by David McKay began studying the me [#permalink]
Hi Experts,
Can you please explain what is wrong with Option D in question 5 ?
Passage says "This evidence includes the discovery of organic molecules in ALH84001, the first ever found in Martian rock. Organic molecules-complex, carbon-based compounds-form the basis for terrestrial life. The organic molecules found in ALH84001 are poly cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or PAHs. When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs"
Choice D -> It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.
As per above(highlighted in bold), When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs and Organic molecules form the basis for terrestrial life.

What is wrong with choice D, What am I missing ?
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishuvashishth wrote:
Hi Experts,
Can you please explain what is wrong with Option D in question 5 ?
Passage says "This evidence includes the discovery of organic molecules in ALH84001, the first ever found in Martian rock. Organic molecules-complex, carbon-based compounds-form the basis for terrestrial life. The organic molecules found in ALH84001 are poly cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or PAHs. When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs"
Choice D -> It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.
As per above(highlighted in bold), When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs and Organic molecules form the basis for terrestrial life.

What is wrong with choice D, What am I missing ?

Hi

The meaning of the word "terrestrial" in this context refers to the surface of the land on earth. In other words, when skeptics argue that the PAHs might be caused due to "terrestrial contamination", they are saying the PAHs could have reached the rock on earth instead of on Mars.

Option (D) states: It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.

Therefore, the last sentence must explain how the PAHs could have reached the surface of the rock on earth as opposed to on Mars. Clearly, the last sentence of the first paragraph does not explain this, and hence option (D) is incorrect.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
GMATNinja, went through your fantastic no retakes class on RC topics don't matter - Science Passages just a while back. Despite the clarity with which I understood the passage through your brief notes and apt explanation, I found myself utterly confused between option B and D in Question 6 and spent about 4 minutes to get the ans right. Specifically I have the following questions with regard to B and D:
- Doesn't D look like almost regurgitating from the passage?
- Team McKay's objective was to prove existence of life in Mars through PAHs so why wouldn't they agree to B?
- Are the options close or was I hallucinating?
- Is extreme langauge a solid reason to eliminate such close options? Sometimes being to focused on modifiers and extreme language in option seems akin to "awkward" and wordy grounds on SC which I totally agree with you aren't solid grounds for elimination. So should I eliminate options on those grounds?
- A more general question: I do always get into this trap of last 2 options and inevitably mark the one that isn't the ans. Other than comprehending well both passage and options is there any approach that I could use?
Curious to know what are your thoughts. Thanks again Charles
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [2]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Jainam24 wrote:
GMATNinja, went through your fantastic no retakes class on RC topics don't matter - Science Passages just a while back. Despite the clarity with which I understood the passage through your brief notes and apt explanation, I found myself utterly confused between option B and D in Question 6 and spent about 4 minutes to get the ans right. Specifically I have the following questions with regard to B and D:
- Team McKay's objective was to prove existence of life in Mars through PAHs so why wouldn't they agree to B?
- Is extreme langauge a solid reason to eliminate such close options? Sometimes being to focused on modifiers and extreme language in option seems akin to "awkward" and wordy grounds on SC which I totally agree with you aren't solid grounds for elimination. So should I eliminate options on those grounds?
- A more general question: I do always get into this trap of last 2 options and inevitably mark the one that isn't the ans. Other than comprehending well both passage and options is there any approach that I could use?

Jainam24, I understand that you're query is for Gmatninja, but I'm sharing my thoughts on question 6. See if it helps whilst you wait for his reply. :)

Option B has a lot of similar terminology, but has absolutely nothing to do with the answer or even to the passage. The option is not wrong because it's extreme, but because it states something that is not given in the passage. Team Mckay's point is that that the particular combination of PAHs in ALH84001 is more similar to the combinations produced by decaying organisms than to those originating from non biological processes (If X is more similar to A than it is to B, there must be some difference between A and B). Yeah sure, option B probably helps team Mckay's goal, but the team wouldn't agree to just because it supports the team's goals. There is no scientific backing (or backing of any kind) to what option B is saying, at least not in the passage.

I'm not an expert so I'll refrain from commenting on the general queries about trap answers. :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 6

Jainam24 wrote:

(B) and (D) for this question aren't really "close" to one another, unfortunately. Here's a general rant about what might be happening when you're stuck between two answer choices:

It's not that uncommon to be stuck between two answer choices -- after all, it could be that the person who wrote the question only had one great idea for a "tempting" incorrect answer choice.

Unfortunately, a near-miss is still a miss on the GMAT. “Close” might be a great result if you’re playing shuffleboard, horseshoes, or Russian roulette, but it doesn’t mean anything on a multiple choice test. You're not necessarily close to a score breakthrough just because you’ve narrowed your critical reasoning or reading comprehension questions down to the last two options.

If you miss a GMAT CR or RC question, it’s probably because you misread or misinterpreted something, either in the answer choices or in the passage itself. Even if you feel like you’re “close” on the majority of your misses, stay focused on the fundamentals: read with laser-like precision, practice hard using official GMAT and LSAT questions, and concentrate on honing your ability to distinguish between similar-sounding answer choices.

Eventually, you can get substantially better at catching the nuances of GMAT verbal passages, questions, and answer choices. On the majority of GMAT verbal questions, you’ll still be forced into a difficult choice between the last two answers. But as you strengthen your ability to understand the phrasing and logic behind CR and RC questions, you’ll choose the correct option more and more frequently.

--------------

Rant over, now back to the question at hand: to answer question 6, we need to find which answer choice McKay's team would agree with.

McKay's team thinks that this particular meteorite contains evidence of life on Mars. In the second paragraph, the author presents some points from people who are skeptical of this claim, and then shows how McKay would respond to these points:

• Skeptical point #1: Maybe the meteorite just got contaminated by PAHs from earth.
    • McKay response: There are more PAH's deeper in the rock than on the surface
  • Skeptical point #2: PAHs can be produced by non-organic processes
    • McKay's response: the particular combination of PAHs in ALH84001 is more similar to the combinations produced by decaying organisms than to those originating from non biological processes.

Question #6 asks particularly about the PAHs mentioned in skeptical point #2. What would McKay's team think about these non-organic PAHs?
Quote:
(B) These PAHs are not likely to be found in any meteorite that originated from Mars.

There's no evidence that McKay's team would agree with this. McKay says that the particular combination of PAHs in this specific meteorite seem organic in origin. He never argues that non-organic PAHs wouldn't be found in ANY rocks coming from Mars.

Sure, McKay is trying to convince the skeptics that the meteorite contains evidence of life on Mars. But there's no indication in the passage that McKay would bury his head in the sand and deny that non-organic PAHs exist on Mars. Instead, he takes the much more reasonable stance that the particular PAHs in this particular meteorite are more likely to be organic in nature.

There's no evidence that McKay's team would agree with (B), so eliminate this answer choice.

A note on extreme language: it is definitely important to notice extreme language in an answer choice -- here, the word "any" makes (B) a very strong statement. However, the mere presence of extreme language isn't enough to make a decision (there are plenty of correct answers that contain strong language). Instead, just think about how those key words impact the meaning of the answer choice as a whole, and then use this assessment when considering whether you can eliminate that answer choice.

Quote:
(D) These PAHs are likely to be found in combinations that distinguish them from the PAHs produced by organic processes.

Does this merely regurgitate info from the passage? Yeah, kind of (although not explicitly). Is that a deal breaker? Not at all! We're just trying to find a statement that McKay would agree with, and he would definitely agree with (D). McKay argues that the combination of PAHs in the meteorite indicates that they originated from an organic source. So, he would agree that non-organic PAHs are likely to be found in combinations that can be distinguished from organic PAHs.

McKay's team would agree with (D), so (D) is the correct answer to question 6.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
Thanks a ton GMATNinja for the comprehensive explanation. Gives me clarity and direction. Thanks Brian123 for the succinct answer. You are right that B isn't mentioned in the passage.
GMATNinja wrote:
bondtradercu wrote:
HI GMAT Ninja,

Could you explain why for question 3, B is wrong? The passage clearly said since this meteorite has been on earth for 13,00 years, which means PAHS might have been because pf terrestial contamination, which are nonbiological processes.

No problem, bondtradercu.

Quote:
3. The passage suggests that the fact that ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years has been used by some scientists to support which of the following
claims about ALH84001?

We need to confirm why scientists are referencing the amount of time that ALH84001 has been on Earth. Let's start with a close look at this part of the passage:

"...ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years, suggesting to some scientists that its PAHs might have resulted from terrestrial contamination.
  • terrestrial means "from Earth." In the passage itself, we've read that "Organic molecules...form the basis for terrestrial life."
  • If the PAHs ALH84001 resulted from terrestrial contamination, then these PAHs might not have been present in ALH84001 before it landed on Earth.

Consequently, the correct choice will be a claim suggesting that PAHs were not present in the meteorite until after it landed on Earth. This is directly in line with why the author brings up the number of years ALH84001 has been on Earth and what that fact implies to some scientists.

Quote:
(B) ALH84001 contains PAHs that are the result of nonbiological processes.

This choice is almost the opposite of what we're looking for. If ALHF84001 contains PAHs that result from non biological processes (like star formation), then it would follow that these PAHs were present in ALHF84001 before it landed on Earth. That's why we eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) ALH84001 may not have contained PAHs when it landed on Earth.

This choice is much more in line with what we've read, which is why it's the best answer choice.

GMATNinja
Than you for that explanation.
Quote:
For example, ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years, suggesting to some scientists that its PAHs might have resulted from terrestrial contamination.

In this sentence, the word might has been used to indicate something uncertain (not strongly says). So, can we cross out choices B and D as they did not use any weak/uncertain words like 'may', 'could'?
Choices A and E used the uncertain words (may, could), unfortunately they did not used the words PAHs, which is our concern. So, can we choose choice C by this way?
GMATNinja wrote:
Laksh47 wrote:
Could someone please explain why option C of Question 1 is incorrect?

Thanks

Before we get to (C), let’s first consider the purpose of each of the paragraph. In the first paragraph, the author introduces a meteorite and a theory, formulated by McKay, that the meteorite contains evidence that life once existed on Mars. Then, in the second paragraph, the author describes some pushback to McKay’s theory and the responses given by McKay’s team.

The question asks that we identify the primary purpose of the passage. With that in mind, here’s (C):

Quote:
(C) reconcile conflicting viewpoints regarding the possibility that life once existed on Mars

(C) suggests that the passage is primarily concerned with whether life once existed on Mars. The problem is that the passage is not concerned with whether life once existed on Mars. Rather, it’s focused on whether ALH84001 provides evidence of life on Mars. It’s possible that ALH84001 doesn’t provide evidence, but life still existed on Mars.

The other issue is that the passage does not reconcile the conflicting viewpoints in the final paragraph. It presents those viewpoints, but it does not make them compatible with one another.

For those two reasons, we can eliminate (C).

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
Thanks again..
I know that Reconcile means many points (more than one view) of view in the passage. But, we don't have many points of view here, do we? The viewpoints are from 1) McKay team, 2) what (I don't have other party hare)? Can we consider the author's views are another viewpoints?
GMATNinja wrote:
thingocanhnguyen wrote:
Hi all,

Any one can help me explain the answer of question 4. My answer is B, not E (OA). What is wrong in B? Why is E correct?

Quote:
4. The passage suggests that if a meteorite contained PAHs that were the result of terrestrial contamination, then one would expect which of the following to be true?

(A) The meteorite would have been on Earth for more than 13,000 years.
(B) The meteorite would have originated from a source other than Mars.
(C) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would have originated from nonbiological processes.
(D) The meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain.
(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface.

Refer to the following sentence: "McKay’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." The word "contrary" suggests that we would expect the opposite to be true if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination. In other words, if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. This matches choice (E).

This makes intuitive sense--imagine a huge ball of rock that lands on Earth with no PAHs. If the rock then becomes contaminated with PAHs while sitting on Earth for thousands of years, we would expect the contamination to affect the surface and then perhaps gradually seep in towards the center.

As for choice (B), if a meteorite contains PAHs that were a result of terrestrial contamination, then we would know nothing of its origin. Maybe it came from Mars, maybe it came from anywhere else in the galaxy. All we would know is that those terrestrial PAHs should not be viewed as evidence of LIFE wherever the meteorite came from. For example, if scientists could PROVE that the PAHs in ALH84001 were a result of terrestrial contamination, this would not change the generally accepted fact that ALH84001 came from Mars. It would simply mean that the PAHs are not evidence of life on Mars.

RMD007 wrote:
Can anyone explain me Question - 5.
Quote:
5. Which of the following best describes the function of the last sentence of the first paragraph?

(A) It identifies a possible organic source for the PAHs found in ALH84001.
(B) It describes a feature of PAHs that is not shared by other types of organic molecules.
(C) It explains how a characteristic common to most meteorites originates.
(D) It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.
(E) It presents evidence that undermines the claim that life once existed on Mars.

I was confused between option A and option B.

The last sentence of the first paragraph is: "When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs." (a microbe is a microorganism).

So if you have microorganisms (i.e. bacteria) that die and decay, you'll often be left with PAHs. The presence of PAHs could be viewed as evidence that life may have existed. Thus, this sentence identifies a possible organic source (e.g. microbes) for the PAHs found in the ALH84001, as stated in choice (A).

As for choice (B), the sentence does not describe a FEATURE of PAHs or how PAHs differ from other types of organic molecules.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
I am a bit confused with this explanation. some people may know that 'microbe/bacteria' is connected with the 'organic things'. But, if someone does not have any knowledge about 'microbe' (does it carry life or not?), then how does s/he convinced that left with PAHs indicates possible ORGANIC sources?
I want to mean that why GMAC forces us to know the science term (i.e., bacteria)?

One more question:
Quote:
When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAHs.

Quote:
(D) It suggests how the terrestrial contamination of ALH84001 might have taken place.

Can we cross out choice D by simply saying that the author/Skeptic did not put his/her own opinion or suggestion by the highlighted part above?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
bondtradercu wrote:
HI GMAT Ninja,

Could you explain why for question 3, B is wrong? The passage clearly said since this meteorite has been on earth for 13,00 years, which means PAHS might have been because pf terrestial contamination, which are nonbiological processes.

No problem, bondtradercu.

Quote:
3. The passage suggests that the fact that ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years has been used by some scientists to support which of the following
claims about ALH84001?

We need to confirm why scientists are referencing the amount of time that ALH84001 has been on Earth. Let's start with a close look at this part of the passage:

"...ALH84001 has been on Earth for 13,000 years, suggesting to some scientists that its PAHs might have resulted from terrestrial contamination.
  • terrestrial means "from Earth." In the passage itself, we've read that "Organic molecules...form the basis for terrestrial life."
  • If the PAHs ALH84001 resulted from terrestrial contamination, then these PAHs might not have been present in ALH84001 before it landed on Earth.

Consequently, the correct choice will be a claim suggesting that PAHs were not present in the meteorite until after it landed on Earth. This is directly in line with why the author brings up the number of years ALH84001 has been on Earth and what that fact implies to some scientists.

Quote:

This choice is almost the opposite of what we're looking for. If ALHF84001 contains PAHs that result from non biological processes (like star formation), then it would follow that these PAHs were present in ALHF84001 before it landed on Earth. That's why we eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) ALH84001 may not have contained PAHs when it landed on Earth.

This choice is much more in line with what we've read, which is why it's the best answer choice.

Hi GMAT Ninja,

Terrestrial contamination can also be a Non Biological process, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Took 9 mins 18 secs. 5 right 1 wrong. How am I doing ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
mSKR wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
thingocanhnguyen wrote:
Hi all,

Any one can help me explain the answer of question 4. My answer is B, not E (OA). What is wrong in B? Why is E correct?

Quote:
4. The passage suggests that if a meteorite contained PAHs that were the result of terrestrial contamination, then one would expect which of the following to be true?

(A) The meteorite would have been on Earth for more than 13,000 years.
(B) The meteorite would have originated from a source other than Mars.
(C) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would have originated from nonbiological processes.
(D) The meteorite would contain fewer PAHs than most other meteorites contain.
(E) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would be concentrated toward the meteorite’s surface.

Refer to the following sentence: "McKay’s team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAHs increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination." The word "contrary" suggests that we would expect the opposite to be true if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination. In other words, if the PAHs were the result of terrestrial contamination, the concentration of PAHs would likely DECREASE as one looks deeper into (i.e. moves towards the center of) the meteorite. This matches choice (E).

This makes intuitive sense--imagine a huge ball of rock that lands on Earth with no PAHs. If the rock then becomes contaminated with PAHs while sitting on Earth for thousands of years, we would expect the contamination to affect the surface and then perhaps gradually seep in towards the center.

As for choice (B), if a meteorite contains PAHs that were a result of terrestrial contamination, then we would know nothing of its origin. Maybe it came from Mars, maybe it came from anywhere else in the galaxy. All we would know is that those terrestrial PAHs should not be viewed as evidence of LIFE wherever the meteorite came from. For example, if scientists could PROVE that the PAHs in ALH84001 were a result of terrestrial contamination, this would not change the generally accepted fact that ALH84001 came from Mars. It would simply mean that the PAHs are not evidence of life on Mars.

I hope that helps!

i agree E is right but why in Q4 C is WRONG?

(C) The PAHs contained in the meteorite would have originated from non-biological processes.

Passage says:
Scientist: Organic decomposition --> PAHs
Skeptics: Terrestrial contamination -->PAHs
Author: scientist (PAHs) --> decay organisms than non-biological

non-biological means not decay organisms --> not biological process
( there can be 2 process only : biological ( related with living things) or non biological ( related with non-living things)
how can a non-biological process is not terrestrial contamination?
If terrestrial contamination then it is not organisms decay contamination. if non organism then it means it is non-biological

what else possibility could be?

­Terrestrial contamination can be biological as well. We can't say for sure that terrestrial contamination is non-biological. Terrestrial just means its related to earth. 
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts