GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In 1994, the most common eye-related disease from which Americans suff

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
In 1994, the most common eye-related disease from which Americans suff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2015, 21:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (02:08) correct 36% (01:58) wrong based on 383 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 1994, the most common eye-related disease from which Americans suffered was conjunctivitis, and glaucoma was a distant second.

Glaucoma is much more common among patients who are more than 50 years old than it is among those who are 50 or younger, but the incidence rate for conjunctivitis is the same for people of all ages.

The average age of all Americans is expected to exceed 50 by the year 2010.

which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about eye-related diseases from the information given?

a. conjunctivitis will remain the most common eye-related disease among Americans in 2010.

b. By the year 2010, glaucoma will overtake conjunctivitis as the most common eye-related disease.

c. More people will suffer from conjunctivitis in 2010 than did in 1994.

d. Most Americans will encounter either conjunctivitis or glaucoma by 2010.

e. The average age of Americans suffering from conjunctivitis will increase between 1994 and 2010.
Intern
Intern
Re: In 1994, the most common eye-related disease from which Americans suff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 09:03
Since the incidence rate for conjunctivitis is the same for people of all ages and the average age will increase, therefore E is the answer.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Re: In 1994, the most common eye-related disease from which Americans suff  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 04:56
I disagree with the answer
If the incidence is the same across all ages, even if average age increases the incidence across all ages remains same. Option A must be correct becasue conjunctivitis will remain the most common eye disease
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 12:20
Hi Amanarora87

the answer is E because,

Incidence of conjuctivitis is same across all age groups. By 2010 there will be many >50aged people and hence more people likely to suffer from Conjuctivitis.

Does that make sense.

amanarora87 wrote:
I disagree with the answer
If the incidence is the same across all ages, even if average age increases the incidence across all ages remains same. Option A must be correct becasue conjunctivitis will remain the most common eye disease

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 12:56
shriramvelamuri - Yes i read it a few times over and I get why E is the answer.
I mistook the meaning of incidence rate to be the number of people afflicted in an age group. However, I understand now that it means the percentage of the people across all age groups.
Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 03:04
Can Someone explain why option B is wrong?

I need to work on timing badly!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 06:13
maddala wrote:
Can Someone explain why option B is wrong?

There is no information in the argument which may help us arrive at such definite conclusion ( Note the use of will - which indicates certainty).

The argument is about the likelihood/incidence rate of the diseases.

This is an inference-MUST be TRUE- question and so E is the only possibility that WILL happen.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 07:20
itzmyzone911 wrote:
In 1994, the most common eye-related disease from which Americans suffered was conjunctivitis, and glaucoma was a distant second.

Glaucoma is much more common among patients who are more than 50 years old than it is among those who are 50 or younger, but the incidence rate for conjunctivitis is the same for people of all ages.

The average age of all Americans is expected to exceed 50 by the year 2010.

which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about eye-related diseases from the information given?

a. conjunctivitis will remain the most common eye-related disease among Americans in 2010.

b. By the year 2010, glaucoma will overtake conjunctivitis as the most common eye-related disease.

c. More people will suffer from conjunctivitis in 2010 than did in 1994.

d. Most Americans will encounter either conjunctivitis or glaucoma by 2010.

e. The average age of Americans suffering from conjunctivitis will increase between 1994 and 2010.

We have to find the conclusion based on the given premises

Premises:-
1) Conjunctivitis is the most common eye disorder and Glaucoma is the DISTANT second.
2) Glaucoma is common in >= 50 yrs age group and conjunctivitis is common among all age groups
3) The average age of americans will EXCEED to 50 by 2010

With the given premises we can conclude below information:-
1) There is significant difference in number of patients suffering from Conjunctivitis and Glaucoma
2) Currently the average age of americans is below 50 and population suffering from conjunctivitis has average age less than 50 years.
3) By 2010, when the average age will increase, average age of patient suffering from conjunctivitis will also increase.

a. conjunctivitis will remain the most common eye-related disease among Americans in 2010. May be true if the population will suffer more from conjunctivitis. What if there will be more cases of glaucoma? this doesn’t give us 100% true conclusion

b. By the year 2010, glaucoma will overtake conjunctivitis as the most common eye-related disease. May be true if increase in average age is depiction of increase in people over 50 years to suffer from Glaucoma. But what if people over 50 years of age will continue to suffer from conjunctivitis more than from glaucoma

c. More people will suffer from conjunctivitis in 2010 than did in 1994. There is no data given about number of people that will suffer from either of the disease

d. Most Americans will encounter either conjunctivitis or glaucoma by 2010. May be true. But there could be some people who will not encounter either of the disease

e. The average age of Americans suffering from conjunctivitis will increase between 1994 and 2010. This is correct as we analysed above

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 13:43
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In 1994, the most common eye-related disease from which Americans suff   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2019, 13:43

In 1994, the most common eye-related disease from which Americans suff

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap